Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The eagles first meeting

Border Desperado GettheLeadonOut!!'s Avatar

Default Re: The eagles first meeting

Soda, do you know when they recorded the "Linda Rondstadt" album? Was it after the June '71 Disneyland date and before the August '71 Colorodo club dates?
    High up on his own, the Eagle flies alone and he is free...

I'm a little shaky on that timeline but I think at least part of those sessions were recorded before the Disneyland gig.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

But that would mean their first meeting would have been in the recording studio with Linda.

I'm going to guess that after the "magic" at Disneyland, they all agreed to record her album thereafter that summer (including the great live cuts from the Troubadour) and that solidified them as a band.

Quote Originally Posted by GettheLeadonOut!! View Post
    But that would mean their first meeting would have been in the recording studio with Linda.

I'm going to guess that after the "magic" at Disneyland, they all agreed to record her album thereafter that summer (including the great live cuts from the Troubadour) and that solidified them as a band.
    Bernie plays on three cuts on the Linda Ronstadt album - none of which were recorded at the Troubadour. He plays guitar and sings on "In My Reply," which also features Randy on bass. It's the only song on the album on which Bernie plays with any of his future Eagles bandmates. He didn't record with Glenn or Don at all.

And even on songs where more than one future Eagle appear, unless the track was live, the parts could very well have been recorded at different times in the studio and overlaid later.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    And even on songs where more than one future Eagle appear, unless the track was live, the parts could very well have been recorded at different times in the studio and overlaid later.
    And even if it was originally recorded live! Listen to the two different versions of Rescue Me for a possible example

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    Bernie plays on three cuts on the Linda Ronstadt album - none of which were recorded at the Troubadour. He plays guitar and sings on "In My Reply," which also features Randy on bass. It's the only song on the album on which Bernie plays with any of his future Eagles bandmates. He didn't record with Glenn or Don at all.

Interesting stuff ScarSu. Thanks for the clarification. I don't have the liner notes on that album so I always assumed that it was the four of them. I need to give the album another spin. I'm also curious if any of them played on her Silk Purse album.

I would guess that Bernie's likely on there, but I strongly doubt any of the others are.

Whenever I have a question about who played on what album, I go to AllMusic.com. It is a huge database of such things and a great resource, even though it doesn't break down contributions by song.

According to that site, none of them played/sang on Silk Purse. However, the album contained Ronstadt's cover of "She Darked the Sun," which Leadon co-wrote.

Silk Purse Credits

I can only add to the lore with this one--.
    I was under the impression that Linda Ronstadt's manager asked the individual members--maybe contacting each separately (after scouting them in clubs, listening to them perform with other bands), whether they would play with Linda Ronstadt for a salaried and small amount of money per week.
    This is before the idea of forming a separate group went around with the early members.