Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Hotel California" Album!

Default Re: Celebration of "Hotel California" Album!

Yes, the artists that can't come get their Grammys delivered. I guess it was supposed to be a light hearted moment... odd....

But then again, it did seem to cheer Don for a bit.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Banned

I had to go through a few pages to find this thread about Hotel California. I must admit that I haven't browsed through the previous posts so I may be reposting something that has been posted previously but I can't recall seeing it before. Filmed shortly after Glenn's death.

From Guitar Player
    Filmed at the 2016 Winter NAMM show in Anaheim, California, on January 23, the "Birth of a Record: Hotel California" presented Eagles guitarist Joe Walsh, producer/engineer Bill Szymczyk, and moderator Mr. Bonzai getting deep into the details, myths, and personal stories of the 1976 epic that won two Grammys and generated album sales of more than 32 million units.
    http://www.guitarplayer.com/artists/...lifornia/58527

Thanks for posting this, Funk50. I'm glad their was a whole clip of this. I've seen just a few clips from that day, but not the whole thing. I'm watching it right now.

Border Desperado

That clip was a gem! Thanks!

Stuck on the Border

I enjoyed hearing all of that. Interesting that Joe thinks that Darryl Hall and John Oates were the new kid in town. Hoever, I don't have too much confidence in his memory here as he started talking about Bob Seger before finding his way to JD Souther.

One thing I learned was that Don Felder's tape for the song HC had some kind of bass line. It had chord progression, bass and drum machine but no melody, lyrics or title.

Happy big 4-0 to Hotel California. New Kid In town just celebrated its 40th birthday yesterday.

This is my all time favorite Eagles album. I can listen to this album from top to bottom without skipping any songs.

I hate we didn't get to see the 40th Anniversary tour for this album. One of the thing the guys were thinking about doing this year before the untimely death of Glenn. I know I would had gone to one of the shows. It would had been cool to hear all the whole album from top to bottom.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 12-08-2016 at 12:30 PM.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Happy 40th to "Hotel California"!!! It's my personal favorite album of theirs. It is bittersweet thinking about the tour they were thinking of doing.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I enjoyed hearing all of that. Interesting that Joe thinks that Darryl Hall and John Oates were the new kid in town. Hoever, I don't have too much confidence in his memory here as he started talking about Bob Seger before finding his way to JD Souther.

One thing I learned was that Don Felder's tape for the song HC had some kind of bass line. It had chord progression, bass and drum machine but no melody, lyrics or title.
    Don says in his book that he wrote the bass line.

Happy 40th, Hotel California!!

What a great album, from beginning to end. Glenn said this was their zenith, both Dons said it was their peak. Critics seem to agree. This album consistently ranks among the "best of" lists, and is ranked the best out of all their albums in multiple polls. Non-fans and very casual fans may not know much about the band, but they know of this album, and have heard the title song. There was just enough "creative tension," as Glenn called it, to put together a terrific album that has immortalized the band as one of the best, if not the best rock band, in the country.

My two absolute favorite songs: "New Kid in Town" and "Try and Love Again" but all the songs are great.
    Last edited by Delilah; 12-15-2016 at 04:08 PM.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Happy 40th anniversary, Hotel California!

Superb album from start to finish, and still my favourite Eagles album even after a year where my opinion of Desperado has raised higher than ever. It's in my top five of all time, although the exact position varies slightly. Since the last anniversary I have had the immense pleasure of seeing Don perform the legendary title track, Life In The Fast Lane and my personal favourite The Last Resort (a song I never thought I'd see him do, even in a solo show).

Every track on the record is brilliant in its own way. I've probably said this before but even though side one is undeniably one of the best of all time, I think side two is also great. I am a huge fan of The Last Resort but recently I've been really enjoying Try and Love Again. It has one of Randy's best vocals, a great melody and some terrific guitar work, not least by Glenn with his solo in the middle of the solo.