Thread: Celebration of "Hotel California" Album!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Happy Anniversary Hotel California!

I know I’m late on this and I am sorry I missed the Hotel California celebration week here on The Border. However, I feel I must revive this thread to comment on what I believe to be one of the top ten best rock and roll albums ever recorded. I'll continue using the same scale to rate the songs on this album as I did for the other album anniversary celebrations. I said many times that I think Hotel California is the pinnacle of the band’s genious. There are simply no bad songs here, IMO. I love the way that every song is very different, yet, they all come together so well thematically to make such a cohesive album. The album showcases every band members’ individual talents so beautifully. My one and only criticism is that Henley dominates the vocals a bit too much. I think it would have come across as more of a collaborative effort for the band even if Glenn had one more lead vocal. Which one??? – Life In the Fast Lane. I have heard him sing the song and he really does it justice. I’m not saying it would have been better, but I think the song would have been equally as good with Glenn as the lead vocalist. I don’t have time right now to comment on each song. I think FP already summed up most of my thoughts. The only thing I disagree with her about is the aging of Wasted Time. To me, the song is just as beautiful and appropriate today as it was when I heard it 33 years ago. As I’ve said before, every song on the album is superb and timeless. So here they are in the order that I love them …

1. Hotel California - 5+
    2. New Kid In Town - 5+
    3. Life In the Fast Lane - 5
    4. Wasted Time - 5
    5. Try and Love Again - 5
    6. Victim of Love - 5
    7. Pretty Maids All In a Row - 4
    8. The Last Resort - 4

key:
    5 - I love it
    4 - I really like it
    3 - I like it
    2 - meh
    1 - yikes

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY HOTEL CALIFORNIA!!!
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 12-28-2009 at 08:37 PM.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016