Thread: Eagles Favorites And Influences

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Eagles Favorites And Influences

First, forgive me if this has been over discussed anywhere already. I know I've seen a few mentions in the past from the members but something I heard on Eagles Radio today got me thinking. So I thought I'd approach the subject here and see what others have heard.

I've noticed in the past that Joe (who supposedly is the one picking the music played on ER) plays a lot of Pink Floyd. Today before one of the songs he made a comment about how he really enjoys them. It got me wondering about who their favorites are and who has been some of the biggest musical influences on them. I mean, they are the freakin' Eagles for goodness sake and have influenced so many artists themselves but who do they like to listen to? Who are their favorite guitarist, drummers, bass players, etc? Who did they hear as kids or teens that made them say "Hey, I want to be a rock n roller when I grow up.".

I remember the interview recently where Timothy mentions some of the people he likes and wants to work with such as Allison Krause, but who else?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Default Re: Eagles Favorites And Influences

I remember Glenn saying that the Beatles were his inspiration for wanting to become a rock star, although he jokes that it was because he went to a concert of theirs one time as a kid and saw all the women screaming and passing out and thought "I WANT THAT!"

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I've heard several times that the Beatles and Ventures were among Joe's influences. I think maybe him Mom was a huge influence as well. She was well into the classical music professionally.

MikeA

I've heard Don mention the Beatles and Elvis Presley and his precious mother who bought him the drum set without telling his father.

Stuck on the Border

Don inducted the Byrds into the Hall of Fame. He was also very influenced by Ray Charles. In They're Not Here, They're Not Coming he namechecks George Jones and Merle Haggard. Also, like me, he is a major fan of Randy Newman.

When Don did the Modern Drummer interview he specifically mentioned Gene Krupa and Ringo (and I knew exactly what he meant when he talked about Ringo).

I think most of know that Glenn grew up with Motown but I think he prefers the R&B that was recorded at Stax in Memphis - Al Green, Wilson Pickett etc. I also know that he loves Paul Simon and James Taylor.

I know from White Boy In Sacramento that Tim was a big fan of the Kingston Trio.

I believe I've also read somewhere where Tim was a fan of Elvis.

And along with what FP already mentioned, Don mentioned Merle Haggard being a big influence on him when he attended a concert of Merle's.