Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best vocal blend

Default Re: Best vocal blend

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I love it when the current four members sing together. Unfortunately on most occasions it is very hard to hear Joe. So in terms of the distinctiveness of the sound perhaps the original four is in fact the best vocal blend.
    And I thought it was just me! Joe has such a distinctive vocal, you would think that you would be able to pick it out of a harmony!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Okay - I wouldn't be able to answer this question either. I don't think any of the Eagles line ups is any better than the other - they are different, but not better, IMO. I agree that it is often hard to hear Joe's distinct voice in most of the Eagle's harmonies, but I also think that was true with some of Bernie's vocals in the early years. I guess some voices have to be more understated and are used to blend in for achieving the sound that the band wants to achieve, but I'm sure not an expert by any stretch of the imagination.

I also wonder about how much the band uses any type of digital voice technology to achieve their sound. Of course, I have no idea, but it seems to me that they are rather "old school" in their approach to these things. There is no question that they utilize some technology because they have stated as much in interviews. However, the fact of the matter is that they always have been a band with superb vocalists, so I wonder how much 'tinkering' around is necessary or acceptable to them.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Joe has commented before how if you wanted to be in a band, learn to sing like David Crosby. You can't really hear him in the mix, but take him out and you'll sure be able to tell something isn't "right". I think Joe was talking about David finding a vocal groove a 5th above the melody line.

MikeA

Yes Mike, I think that it's the mark of a great band when you can't pick out the individual voices, nice tight harmonies.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    Yes Mike, I think that it's the mark of a great band when you can't pick out the individual voices, nice tight harmonies.

This is true.
    ~ Cathy ~

Stuck on the Border

No knowledge to back this up, but just a thought. Maybe one of the reasons Joe voice can't be recognized in the harmonies is, that he may sing lower parts in the harmonies, that what we're used to hearing in his solo vocals. People tend to have a bit different tone in the higher and lower register, I think.
    Last edited by chaim; 11-09-2009 at 04:24 PM.

Border Desperado GettheLeadonOut!!'s Avatar

I totally agree about not being able to pick out Joe easily on record. I think one of the reasons why Joe wanted to join the Eagles was because he loved singing harmony. And Tim really supplemented the sound after Randy left and is a master harmonizer who can nail those high notes. Both his work with Poco and the Eagles are both exceptional.

And Bernie's harmonizing is sublime and probably the most under appreciated in that classic sound. The first couple of albums especially, he really shines. Interesting to watch who sings what on this classic (lot of Bernie and Randy, but not a lot of Henley):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrc8XOlJsm0[/ame]
    High up on his own, the Eagle flies alone and he is free...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quite a country twang there!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Thanks GTLO. NIce harmonies by Bernie and Randy, and it's nice to see some vocal improv from Glenn.

And here's a reaction to the video you probably can't appreciate GTLO...Glenn looks drop dead gorgeous there!
    ~ Cathy ~

Brooke I swear I didn't see your thud smiley post before I posted mine! Glenn just has that effect in that video!
    ~ Cathy ~