Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Joe Walsh and Stevie Nicks

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Joe Walsh and Stevie Nicks

That picture!

Love the lyrics! Very pretty!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Marilyn Martin is so cute in that photo but overall, I'd like to have been a fly on the wall when that was taken! Funny going-ons there.

A new quote from Stevie about Joe in a recent Elle interview: - she continues to back away from the "love of my life" line:
    It was a powerhouse woman move to fall in love with two members of the same group [....] and then she did it again with two members of the Eagles – Don Henley and Joe Walsh – in the early 1980’s. ‘Joe was a big rock star. Maybe he was the love of my life. Although I change who I think were the great loves of my life all the time.’

She and Walsh were together from 1983-1986. They did not write songs together – they took drugs. ‘I don’t know what my relationship with Joe would have been like sober. I remember days of misery waiting by the phone; me in my house, with him saying, “I’m going to visit you.” I would kick everyone out because I just wanted to be with him, and not a phone call, nothing.’ Why did she put up with it – she was one of the biggest female stars in the world? ‘Because I was in love with him,’ she says in an isn't that-obvious tone. ‘I wouldn't now. But we were doing a lot of drugs and drugs make you needy.’ She pauses. ‘And who wants needy?’

She tells me about one day when Joe put the phone down on her and she thought they had just broken up. The next day, she went to see the Eurythmics and Dave Stewart asked if she had a boyfriend. ‘I said no. So Dave Stewart came back to my house and we spent the night together. But the next morning, I panicked. I threw him out of the bed and I started dressing him. All this leather! All these chains that I was threading through!’

She and Joe did get back together, but he disappeared for good a few months later. ‘He told my friend he’d gone to Australia because he’s a coward. He said, “Tell Stevie I’m going because both of us are doing so much coke that one of us is going to die.” She was left broken-hearted – and, thanks to her addiction, with a hole in her nose so big that, legend has it, she could loop a belt through it. This, she says, is not quite true, but ‘If I wanted to put a gold ring through it I could. A gold ring with diamonds!’ She was addicted to cocaine for around a decade – Fleetwood Mac’s album credits famously feature a ‘thanks’ to their dealer – and she has estimated she spent over $1 million on the drug.
    --------------------

Interesting. Obviously this one was messed up relationship and I'm so freaking glad Stevie has started to play down all that "Great Love" BS.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I'm listening to an old radio show w/Joe on it. 1990, he's the DJ of the show. He did that a lot. He is running Stevie down so bad it's crazy. Talking about her locking herself in the bathroom for two days. Talking about how fat she is, etc.... The fact that she considers Joe one of her "great loves" is insane. Obviously he's still drunk at this point. As he was when they were together. I love the sober Joe but there is no doubt that the drunk Joe could be a real a-hole.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Yeah, many Stevie fans despise Joe for the way he trashed her back then. I'm not sure if I've mentioned it in this thread already, but he even made fun of her during shows sometimes - said ugly stuff about how she was washed up, a "has been".... I don't know why he took so many digs at her so often, but as an ardent Stevie fan, I have a hard time listening to him do that without getting angry.

When I start to get worked up listening to those, I just remind myself that he was a different guy back then... And if Stevie has forgiven him, who am I to hold it against him?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I suspect it was because he was in love with her too and it was an ugly break up. Sometimes I like to sit and analyze things a little. I bet he was hurt so like a typical drunk, he lashed out at what hurt him.

Just playing psychologist!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Visitor View Post
    I'm listening to an old radio show w/Joe on it. 1990, he's the DJ of the show. He did that a lot. He is running Stevie down so bad it's crazy. Talking about her locking herself in the bathroom for two days. Talking about how fat she is, etc.... The fact that she considers Joe one of her "great loves" is insane. Obviously he's still drunk at this point. As he was when they were together. I love the sober Joe but there is no doubt that the drunk Joe could be a real a-hole.
    Yeah - unfortunately, not unlike most addicts and drunks that I've been around. I'm sure Joe has a lot of regrets that he can't change. But, fortunately, he has come such a long way since those dark days. Just visit his photo thread if you need to be persuaded. The man is nothing but a class act these days!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Yeah - unfortunately, not unlike most addicts and drunks that I've been around. I'm sure Joe has a lot of regrets that he can't change. But, fortunately, he has come such a long way since those dark days. Just visit his photo thread if you need to be persuaded. The man is nothing but a class act these days!
    Yeah, ha, ha! Considering I posted those photos, I do know that. I also bet she was on his list of amends after rehab.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Visitor View Post
    I didn't know about any of this (just becoming a Joe fan). Yikes. Hopefully this is the worst thing he said in public about a former love. He must be mortified. Especially b/c he has a grown daughter - imagine someone famous who she had trusted talking about her like that on the radio. Hopefully he's made peace with himself and Stevie. That's rough.

I hadn't heard that before but I don't doubt it either. That relationship was a bad deal from the start I'm afraid.... I feel bad though for Stevie as she really thought he was "the one".

When Joe was drunk he could either be a "class clown" and funny, or probably an a-hole. I've always wanted to think of him being the nice funny guy of the band, but I don't doubt that he could have a bad side back then.

Nowadays Joe seems to still have the clown-y funny side (no more pranks though! ) but is still all smiles and a very nice guy, like I always imagined him to be. A lot of my other heroes can be and sometimes are big jerks and full of themselves and I always liked how Joe always seemed to be fairly nice to people especially now.