Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Joe Walsh and Stevie Nicks

Default Re: Joe Walsh and Stevie Nicks

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    But he DID comment about Stevie, and he did so in a way that was lame. JMHO.

ETA: I didn't see Deb's post before, so let me add:

And THIS is what pisses me off about his interview. Joe's comments lead you to conclude that Stevie was nothing more than a "short cocaine-fueled fling" to him. It's contemptible for him to represent their relationship in such a demeaning fashion after she's spoken about how much meaning it has for her.

BTW I don't know what "stories" you're referring to, but they weren't even together until he opened for her in 1983. They remained together for over two years - together enough for her to help with The Confessor in 1985. Sure doesn't sound like a "short cocaine-fueled fling" to me... but Joe talks like it was, leads you to believe it was. THAT is tacky.

This interview didn't lead me to conclude anything. It's from Stevie's interview about this. They had to separate or they could have died from the partying...Stevie's dr telling her her nasal passages were beyond damaged...cocaine nearly taking everything that mattered away...Stevie's words, not Joe's.

And I was talking about the general state of rock n roll in the 70's, I thought that was pretty clear, not Joe and Stevie specifically.
    There are shelves of books about things like this..."Venus vs. Mars"..."He's just not into you", etc. it's called life. Sometimes things work out, sometimes they don't, it's not earth-shattering. I won't bother to clarify any further, obviously you've made your mind up about this very old situation.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~

I posted the entire interview on the thread "Press about Joe's new album" It is post #264, now on page 7 if anyone wants to listen to the whole interview. I think, as WalshFan88 says, this is how Stern operates. He always likes to get the dirt on people & I do think the interview overall was pretty good & we got to hear some stuff that Joe doesn't usually talk about. I think that Stern was really curious about his relationship with Stevie & that's why he was asking about her. He even said that Stevie was beautiful & one of the best songwriters & he was complimenting her, even asking Joe if he ever thought about marrying her. I was not really that shocked by the questions he asked. Joe handled it okay, maybe not perfect, but he must have been caught off guard by some of those questions. He was a bit uncomfortable, but Joe had to know Stern would be asking pesky questions. I think maybe some of you are reading too much into it. Like I said, it seems that Stevie was not the "love of his life" & that's okay. Maybe he did break her heart, but it was a long time ago. Joe seemed to be saying that he wasn't really in the frame of mind for a very serious relationship. Timing is everything, & for him it wasn't the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jdubfan
    This interview didn't lead me to conclude anything. It's from Stevie's interview about this. They had to separate or they could have died from the partying...Stevie's dr telling her her nasal passages were beyond damaged...cocaine nearly taking everything that mattered away...Stevie's words, not Joe's.
    Are you talking about Stevie's interview with People:

"The Fleetwood Mac singer dated Eagles star Walsh during the 1980s and describes him as 'the great, great love of my life'. But they both began taking cocaine in vast quantities and Nicks blames the drug for ruining their relationship. She tells People magazine, 'There was nothing more important than Joe Walsh - not my music, not my songs, not anything.
    'We had to break up or we thought we'd die. It took me years to get over it. It's very sad but at least we survived.'"

I don't get from this that Stevie feels the relationship was cocaine-fueled, rather that cocaine ended something very special. But hey, everyone can judge for themselves.

Here's my take on it: Joe wasn't as into the relationship as Stevie was. Simple as that.

And there's nothing wrong with that. It happens all the time. It doesn't make Joe a bad person. He and Stevie obviously weren't meant to be, and indeed it seems pretty evident that it was a good thing they broke up!

I just wish he'd had more consideration for Stevie's feelings when giving this interview. Why not say something like "What we had then was special, but it was a long time ago. I'm married to a woman who makes me very happy and I hope Stevie can find someone like that, too." It would have been so easy to just leave it at that and, when HS pushed, to refuse to engage.

I still love Joe; I just don't love how he handled this.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Soda, I agree that Joe could have said something nicer about Stevie, but I think he was caught totally off guard by the questions, but I didn't feel that he made the relationship out to be a coke fueled fling. Just my opinion of what he said.

I actually think Stern got too personal. My opinion, I can't stand the man..he's tacky and I didn't think there was anything wrong with Joe's answers. He responded when push came to shove, all Stern was after was the scoop. Very old trick with loud-mouth shock jocks.

The thing I got was that they bonded at a time when they were both seeking something and that it ran its course, same as a lot of other people. That Stevie apparently thought more of it than him comes back to his ADD..his attention span was/is limited.

If the reason he was there was to promote his tour/album then Stern should have had the good manners to do that..or Joe should not have accepted an invitation to appear, knowing what Stern was like..either way, the probing should have been left out of it.

Just my opinion.
    I See what You see...

I'd like to add that in Stevie's interview on CBS (earlier this week?) she was asked, point-blank, if she had any regrets about never marrying and she said she has NONE, adding (as I recall) that her career has always been the foremost thing in her life. Seems I've also heard her reference other men she's had relationships with as 'the love of my life'.

HS put Joe on the spot and it seems clear that Joe was uncomfortable with the line of questions. Under the circumstances I think he did the only thing he could do...try to steer the conversation in a different direction. I didn't see his comments as disrespectful of Stevie and didn't interpret it as a drug-fueled fling. It's been 30 years...time to put it where it belongs - in the past. Just my opinion.
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

Quote Originally Posted by BramwenR View Post
    I actually think Stern got too personal. My opinion, I can't stand the man..he's tacky and I didn't think there was anything wrong with Joe's answers. He responded when push came to shove, all Stern was after was the scoop. Very old trick with loud-mouth shock jocks.

The thing I got was that they bonded at a time when they were both seeking something and that it ran its course, same as a lot of other people. That Stevie apparently thought more of it than him comes back to his ADD..his attention span was/is limited.

If the reason he was there was to promote his tour/album then Stern should have had the good manners to do that..or Joe should not have accepted an invitation to appear, knowing what Stern was like..either way, the probing should have been left out of it.

Just my opinion.
    I do not think that Joe not being "in Love" with Stevie had anything to do with his ADD!! She obviously had more feeling for him than he did for her, but to say it was because of ADD??? I don't think so.

For Stern to talk for an hour about the new album, & the tour was not going to happen. I'm sure Joe knew that, as he & Stern know each other for years. We have heard Joe repeat the same stuff over & over in every single interview, & Stern always likes to shake things up. To say that Stern should have had the good manners to just discuss the album really makes me laugh. Stern is known for this stuff. I think it was fine. Actually, it was pretty tame for Stern. In fact, I found it interesting to hear what Joe had to say when he was hit with some heavy questions. You may not like the answers he gave, but I think he was pretty honest. It's so far in the past that I'm sure it's all okay by now. They have both moved on a long time ago. I do think that Stern had a big crush on Stevie & that's why he was so curious about her.

Quote Originally Posted by Victim of Love View Post
    I'd like to add that in Stevie's interview on CBS (earlier this week?) she was asked, point-blank, if she had any regrets about never marrying and she said she has NONE, adding (as I recall) that her career has always been the foremost thing in her life. Seems I've also heard her reference other men she's had relationships with as 'the love of my life'.
    This is true; while she doesn't characterize a bunch of men that way, she often calls Lindsey Buckingham the "love of her life." Indeed, whether or not she calls him that in interviews depends on whether or not she is mad at him at that particular time.

In fact, now that she and Lindsey are on good terms again, she doesn't talk about Joe nearly as much, if at all, in interviews.

I think I did perhaps judge Joe too harshly in the sense that he didn't have time to come up with the perfect answer and hey, the relationship didn't mean that much to him, so why should he lie, right? I do still fault him for misrepresenting the duration of the relationship, but there are worse things.

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat
    I do not think that Joe not being "in Love" with Stevie had anything to do with his ADD!! She obviously had more feeling for him than he did for her, but to say it was because of ADD??? I don't think so.

For Stern to talk for an hour about the new album, & the tour was not going to happen. I'm sure Joe knew that, as he & Stern know each other for years. We have heard Joe repeat the same stuff over & over in every single interview, & Stern always likes to shake things up. To say that Stern should have had the good manners to just discuss the album really makes me laugh. Stern is known for this stuff. I think it was fine. Actually, it was pretty tame for Stern. In fact, I found it interesting to hear what Joe had to say when he was hit with some heavy questions. You may not like the answers he gave, but I think he was pretty honest. It's so far in the past that I'm sure it's all okay by now. They have both moved on a long time ago. I do think that Stern had a big crush on Stevie & that's why he was so curious about her.
    I have to agree with pretty much all of Topkat's post. I mean, when Joe first got sober in 1994, he stopped coming on Stern's show; he used to be a regular, so Stern got upset. Stern claimed that Glenn and Don had forbidden Joe from coming onto the show, and had turned Joe into "StepfordJoe." Then, Stern made nasty comments about how Joe wasn't allowed to have fun anymore now that he was sober. "Good manners" and "Howard Stern" do not belong in the same sentence.

And it's true that it's nice to hear different answers than the canned ones. Stern is good at getting those, at least.

That Stern had a crush on Stevie is undeniable - he said himself she was his "fantasy." I guess as an interviewer it would be very tempting to ask the ex of your "fantasy" what it was like to be with him or her.

Stevie in 1983:

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post

Maybe that read the wrong way..I didn't mean his being in love or not had something to do with his ADD, I meant that his attention span may have been affected..I know this because my son has it and so does my nephew..so relationships seem to be a bit of slow thing.

As far as Stern being very pushy and Joe knowing him for years, well, he asked for it then! I didn't say I didn't like Joe's answers, I said that there was nothing wrong with his answers. Stern gives his listeners what they want and that's the lowdown on any celebrity when he gets them behind the microphone..but obvious that Joe was uncomfortable talking about something that happened so long ago, he's moved on, so has she. It's only gossip.
    I See what You see...

That picture of Stevie says it all! She was probably the "fantasy" of a lot of guys at that time! Hey even now... She still looks really beautiful!!!