Page 60 of 155 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110 ... LastLast

Thread: Today in Rock n' Roll History

Default Re: Today in Rock n' Roll History

1963 Gerry And The Pacemakers were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'You'll Never Walk Alone.' The group's third and final No.1.

1963 The Beatles returned to London from Sweden and were greeted by hundreds of screaming fans and a mob of photographers and journalists. American television host Ed Sullivan was at Heathrow as The Beatles arrived, and was struck by the sight of Beatlemania in full swing; he decided to look into getting this group to appear on his US television program.

1964 The Supremes started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Baby Love', the group's second of five consecutive US No.1's. The group were formally known as the five piece group The Primettes.

1967 Rolling Stone Brian Jones was released from Wormwood Scrubs prison on £750 bail pending appeal. Jones had been found guilty of possession of cannabis. Seven Stones fans were arrested and charged with obstructing the police after demonstrating outside the prison gates.

1970 Led Zeppelin started a four week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Led Zeppelin III', the bands second US chart topper.

1987 Fleetwood Mac started a two week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with their third No.1 LP 'Tango In The Night.'
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post
    1947 Timothy B. Schmit was born.
    Did I miss this?

2005 Hundreds of people queued outside the Sheffield Arena to make sure of getting tickets to see a Sir Cliff Richard. By the time the tickets went on sale some fans had been outside the Arena for nine days, the concert was not until November 2006.
    Someone clue me in. I know Cliff Richard for a few songs here in the US, Devil Woman, Dreaming & We Don't Talk Anymore, the ones I remember but was he seriously that famous and popular over there? WOW!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

1966 The Doors played the first night of a month long residency at the Ondine Discotheque, Midtown Manhattan, New York City.

1969 Elvis Presley went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Suspicious Minds', his 18th US No.1 single. A No.2 hit in the UK.

1969 The Beatles scored their 13th US No.1 album with 'Abbey Road'. The final studio recordings from the group which featured two George Harrison songs; 'Something' and 'Here Comes The Sun' plus 'Come Together', 'Sun King' and 'Golden Slumbers.' The cover supposedly contained clues adding to the ‘Paul Is Dead’ phenomenon: Paul is barefoot and the car number plate ‘LMW 281F’ supposedly referred to the fact that McCartney would be 28 years old if he was still alive. ‘LMW’ was said to stand for ‘Linda McCartney Weeps.’ And the four Beatles, represent; the priest (John, dressed in white), the Undertaker (Ringo in a black suit), the Corpse (Paul, in a suit but barefoot), and the Gravedigger (George, in jeans and a denim work shirt).

1975 Elton John started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Island Girl', his 5th US No.1, a No.14 hit in the UK.

1980 Bruce Springsteen scored his first No.1 US album with 'The River', featuring the US No.5 & UK No.44 single 'Hungry Heart.'

1996 U2 set up a video link to an internet site from their recording studio in Dublin so fans could watch them record their new album.
    (Glenn Frey)

"Paul Is Dead". Of course I heard this along with a lot of "supporting" evidence back in the late Sixties. But I had NOT heard anything about Abby Road's album cover being interpreted to a hidden message to that fact! Amazing what people can come up with. Very imaginative <LOL>

But what I've always wondered is if the Beatles management or the group itself had anything to do with promotion that falsehood? What a publicity gimmick! As if in the Sixties, the Beatles needed any additional publicity!

MikeA

I guess he was HUGE in the UK just not so in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    "Paul Is Dead". Of course I heard this along with a lot of "supporting" evidence back in the late Sixties. But I had NOT heard anything about Abby Road's album cover being interpreted to a hidden message to that fact! Amazing what people can come up with. Very imaginative <LOL>

But what I've always wondered is if the Beatles management or the group itself had anything to do with promotion that falsehood? What a publicity gimmick! As if in the Sixties, the Beatles needed any additional publicity!
    Oh yeah, I remember the Paul Is Dead phase well. I was familiar with the Abby Road cover clues, along with clues on the Sgt. Pepper cover and the Magical Mystery Tour album. I also remember that at the end of some song (can't remember which one) during the fade out you could hear John say, "I buried Paul." Later it was noted somewhere that what he is actually saying is, "I'm very bored."
    I remember my brother and me spinning the end of one of the albums backwards to hear the phrase, "Turn me on, dead man."

And Mike, I've wondered that myself. More likely it's something that fans started.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

1956 Police used tear gas to break up a riot that broke out during a Fats Domino concert in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Fats and three of his sidemen suffer minor injuries.

1967 The Beatles completed recording their next single ‘Hello Goodbye’ at Abbey Road studios London with a second Paul McCartney bass line. The McCartney song had been selected for the A-side for The Beatles next single, the flip side to be Lennon’s ‘I Am the Walrus.’

1969 'Sugar Sugar' by The Archies was at No.1 on the UK singles chart. The single became the longest running one hit wonder in the UK with eight week's at the top of the charts.

1974 Crosby Stills Nash & Young went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'So Far', the group's third US No.1.
    1974 George Harrison became the first Beatle to undertake a solo world tour when he played the first show of a 30-night tour in Vancouver, Canada.

1985 The TV soundtrack from Miami Vice went to No.1 on the US album chart. It spent a total of 11 weeks at No.1.

2004 Guitarist Eric Clapton collected his CBE from Buckingham Palace for his services to music.

2007 Led Zeppelin's eagerly-awaited reunion concert in London was postponed for two weeks after guitarist Jimmy Page broke a finger. The tribute concert in honour of late Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun scheduled for 26 November would now take place on 10 December. More than a million fans applied for the 20,000 tickets available, which cost £125 each. Profits from the show would go towards scholarships in Ertegun's name in the UK, USA and the country of his birth Turkey.
    (Glenn Frey)

1969 'Sugar Sugar' by The Archies was at No.1 on the UK singles chart. The single became the longest running one hit wonder in the UK with eight week's at the top of the charts.
    How many of you will laugh at me if I tell you I LOVE this silly song!?!?

2007 Led Zeppelin's eagerly-awaited reunion concert in London was postponed for two weeks after guitarist Jimmy Page broke a finger. The tribute concert in honour of late Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun scheduled for 26 November would now take place on 10 December. More than a million fans applied for the 20,000 tickets available, which cost £125 each. Profits from the show would go towards scholarships in Ertegun's name in the UK, USA and the country of his birth Turkey.
    I remember an interview with him talking about this. I believe it might have been the same interview where I said to myself, "OMG, he's looking 'different'". In other words, it was the first time the white hair just struck me and I realized my guitar God of the 70's wasn't the same anymore. Not that I really cared tho.

And any chance to post Jimmy.... here's the interview.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNRPbEwBrts[/ame]

1967 The Beatles completed recording their next single ‘Hello Goodbye’ at Abbey Road studios London with a second Paul McCartney bass line. The McCartney song had been selected for the A-side for The Beatles next single, the flip side to be Lennon’s ‘I Am the Walrus.’
    The first time I went to see Paul McCartney in concert in 2002 I was so excited. It didn't dawn on me at the time that I could look up the set list and I'm glad it didn't. A surprise set list has its advantages. What would he open with? What would he close with? I couldn't wait!

Well, he opened with the perfect song, Hello Goodbye and he closed with the perfect closer - The End.

Oh, and don't feel bad Willie - I've always loved Sugar Sugar by the Archies too. Had the 45!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Me, too, Willie! I hear it every once in a while on the oldies/classic rock station that I listen to. Just imagine hearing it and then Hotel California in sequence!