Page 55 of 155 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast

Thread: Today in Rock n' Roll History

Default Re: Today in Rock n' Roll History

1963 The Rolling Stones recorded the Lennon and McCartney penned song ‘I Wanna Be Your Man’ at De Lane Lea Studios in London.

1967 Cass Elliot from The Mamas And The Papas spent the night in a London jail after being accused of stealing from a hotel. A TV and concert appearance had to be cancelled.

1975 John Lennon is awarded his ‘Green Card’ - permanent residency status - at a hearing in New York which overturned previous efforts by the US Government to deport him. Two days later Yoko gives birth to his son Sean.

1982 Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page was given a 12-month conditional discharge after being found guilty of possessing cocaine.

1996 Michael Jackson plays his first tour in Africa or the Arab world. Jackson performs at the El Menzah Stadium in Tunis where he plays to more than 60,000 spectators. No one under 14 years of age is allowed to attend the concert.

1996 Bruce Springsteen's solo show at Charlotte, N.C.'s Ovens Auditorium sells out in eight minutes. He's promoting his Ghost of Tom Joad album.

1999 Don Henley and Eagles Ltd. file a federal suit against Lovearth, a Sarasota, Fla.- based Internet company, alleging that its registration of the domain names donhenley. net, don-henley.org, donhenley.org, theendoftheinnocence.com, and e-a-g-l-es. com constitutes copyright infringement.

2004 Poison’s C. C. DeVille is named the worst guitarist soloist of all time by Guitar World magazine. Exhibit A is his nine-minute solo from Swallow This … Live! Carlos Santana is a runner-up for his work on “Game of Love.”

2007 Bruce Springsteen went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Magic', the singer, songwriter's 15th studio album and 7th UK No.1. Also a US No.1 album.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post

1999 Don Henley and Eagles Ltd. file a federal suit against Lovearth, a Sarasota, Fla.- based Internet company, alleging that its registration of the domain names donhenley. net, don-henley.org, donhenley.org, theendoftheinnocence.com, and e-a-g-l-es. com constitutes copyright infringement.
    Oh Don, Don, Don.... I fear you would have sued your wife had she named your first born Don Henley Jr.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Lol!

Don,

The more I think about it old Billy was right
    let's kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight!

Get over it sweetie!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Oh Don, Don, Don.... I fear you would have sued your wife had she named your first born Don Henley Jr.

Lol! Good one Willie!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Banned
    Sunset Sound Studios - Buried Alive in the Blues

Internet companies and wives are entirely different.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody'sBeach View Post
    Internet companies and wives are entirely different.
    No kidding? Lighten up while you still can. It was just a joke!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

1964 Roy Orbison was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Oh Pretty Woman', his third UK No.1.

1966 Cream drummer Ginger Baker collapsed during a gig at Sussex University, England after playing a 20 minute drum solo. He recovered in a local hospital.

1977 One half of TV cop show "Starsky & Hutch" (he was blonde Hutch), David Soul was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Silver Lady', his second and last UK No.1 single.

1977 Jimmy Page plays down rumors of a Led Zeppelin split at the band’s Swan Song offices.

1987 the three members from ZZ Top made advance bookings for seats on the first passenger flight to the Moon. The boys are still waiting for confirmation of the trip.

1988 On their 12th single release, U2 scored their first UK No.1 with 'Desire.' The track which was also a US No.3 hit was taken from their album 'Rattle And Hum.

1988 Farewell to Dark Side of the Moon. The Pink Floyd album finally drops out of the Billboard 200 chart, 741 weeks after it first debuted there.

"For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

1966 Cream drummer Ginger Baker collapsed during a gig at Sussex University, England after playing a 20 minute drum solo. He recovered in a local hospital.

According to what I've read (I THINK it was in the book "Backstage Pass" by Joe Vitale but I wouldn't swear to it), it was not uncommon for bands to turn the show over to the drummer for a long drum solo about halfway through the gig. Often the other band members would leave the stage and either go backstage or even under the stage during the solo to "freshen up"...3E style. The drummer usually didn't mind....they are usually the most unknown member in the band and jumped at the chance to be in the spotlight.

Cream is a story in its own right. Baker and Bruce pretty much hated each other and the feud between them fuel the energy of their performances with each trying to outdo each other. Clapton was pretty much passive aggressive and kept the fires stirred up. It's amazing they stayed together as long as they did!

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Often the other band members would leave the stage and either go backstage or even under the stage during the solo to "freshen up"...3E style.
    Woah! I don't think that was in the Backstage Pass I read!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I can't imagine where I read that if it wasn't "Backstage Pass"...maybe one of the Clapton books. Could have been in the "Dead" book (Living with the Dead, about the Grateful Dead)

MikeA