Page 104 of 155 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114154 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1542

Thread: Today in Rock n' Roll History

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Today in Rock n' Roll History

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post
    1964 The top five slots on the 'Billboard' chart are held by the Beatles, a feat never before or since matched.
    And that feat alone has earned them the spot as the greatest band ever, IMHO. If they had never accomplished anything else, they would still always be remembered for that. I remember at the time this was a big deal, but I don't think many young folks like myself at the time really appreciated the significance. I wonder if this will ever happen again.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I'm a big Dylan fan, too!

PS. I've only just caught up with this thread but THANK YOU WILLIE for all of those wonderful Pink Floyd videos! Love 'em.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

1950 Agnetha Faltsmog (ABBA) is born.

1962 The Beatles performed at the Cavern Club in Liverpool as part of a special night presented by the Beatles' fan club. The Beatles wear their black leather outfits for the first half of the performance, for old time's sake, then change into their new suits for the second half of the show.

1967 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn,' the debut album by Pink Floyd -- and the only one to feature Syd Barrett as bandleader -- is released.

1980 Genesis scored their first UK No.1 album when 'Duke' went to the top of the charts.

1985 An estimated 5,000 radio stations around the globe simultaneously play “We Are the World.” The song is recorded by a collection of recording artists, USA for Africa, to raise money to feed starving people in Africa and the United States.

1994 Kurt Cobain committed suicide by shooting himself in the head at his home in Seattle. Cobain’s body wasn’t discovered until April 8, by an electrician who had arrived to install a security system, who initially believed that Cobain was asleep, until he saw the shotgun pointing at his chin. A suicide note was found that said, "I haven't felt the excitement of listening to as well as creating music, along with really writing . . . for too many years now". A high concentration of heroin and traces of Valium were found in Cobain’s body. His death was officially ruled as suicide by a self-inflicted shotgun wound to the head.

2008 Apple's iTunes overtook supermarket group Wal-Mart to become the largest music retailer in the US. Market research firm NPD said iTunes surpassed Wal-Mart in January and February if 12 downloads are considered equal to the sale of one CD album. iTunes had sold more than four billion songs since its launch in 2003.

"For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

1968 Pink Floyd announced founder Syd Barrett had officially left the group. Barrett was suffering from psychiatric disorders compounded by drug use.

1968 Simon and Garfunkel went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'The Graduate.'

1971 The Rolling Stones launched their own record label, 'Rolling Stones Records', with Atlantic Records.

1974The California Jam 1 festival took place in Ontario, California, featuring The Eagles, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Earth Wind and Fire, ELP, Black Oak Arkansas and Seals & Croft. Over 200,000 fans attended.

1974 Billy Joel's "Piano Man" enters the 'Billboard' singles chart. It is the first in a string of Top Forty hits that numbers 33, to date.

1974 Waterloo" by Abba wins the Eurovision Song Contest and launches the group's internationally successful pop career.

1985 Paul Young scored his second UK No.1 album with 'The Secret Of Association.'

1987 Roger Waters' lawyers issued a statement that Roger believed himself to be the creative driving force behind Pink Floyd and therefore he would contest the use of the name by anyone else and any former members of Pink Floyd.

1992 Shakespear's Sister held the UK No.1 position on the singles chart with 'Stay', Vanessa Williams was at No.1 in the US with 'Save The Best To Last.'

1999 An all star tribute to singer, songwriter Johnny Cash took place in New York City with Sheryl Crow, Chris Isaak and U2 all performing for the TV special.
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koala
    1974The California Jam 1 festival took place in Ontario, California, featuring The Eagles, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Earth Wind and Fire, ELP, Black Oak Arkansas and Seals & Croft. Over 200,000 fans attended.
    Wouldn't that have been a wonderful thing to be a part of? Of course I was only 10 so I doubt I would have been allowed to stay out past my curfew.

1985 Paul Young scored his second UK No.1 album with 'The Secret Of Association.'
    Lou's good friend Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by Koala
    1987 Roger Waters' lawyers issued a statement that Roger believed himself to be the creative driving force behind Pink Floyd and therefore he would contest the use of the name by anyone else and any former members of Pink Floyd.
    So how'd that work out for you, Roger?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

A genuine Rock n Roll Milestone Event! Wish I'd been there!

MikeA

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Me, too! I was 17 and a senior in high school. If only I'd have known about it it would have made a great excuse to skip school and hitchhike out there!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep - I'll bet that was an experience. Must've felt something like this, only bigger ...

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I wish I was there too, but at this time I was not born!
    (Glenn Frey)

1962 The Beatles played at the Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool without George Harrison who was ill. This was the group’s last performance before leaving for their third extended engagement in Hamburg, West Germany.

1970 On this week's US Top 5 singles chart; No.5, 'Bridge Over Trouble Water' by Simon and Garfunkel, No.4, 'Spirit In The Sky', Norman Greenbaum', No.3, 'Instant Karma' by John Lennon, No.2, 'ABC' The Jackson Five and at No.1, 'Let It Be', The Beatles.

1971 Crosby, Stills & Nash's double live album '4 Way Street' is released. Showcasing the group's range and versatility, it includes group performances and solo spots

1975 Deep Purple guitarist Ritchie Blackmore plays his last show with the group.

1981 Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band kicked off their first full-scale tour in Hamburg, Germany. This was Springsteen's first tour outside North America, which would take in 10 countries.

1985 Wham! became the first western pop group to perform live in China, when they played at the workers gymnasium in Beijing.

(Glenn Frey)