Page 102 of 155 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1542

Thread: Today in Rock n' Roll History

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Today in Rock n' Roll History

One of the main reasons I prefer Wish You Were Here is Any Colour You Like.

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Dark Side & Wish You were here are my favourite two Pink Floyd Albums, both were bought when they were first released and are still on my regular play list! .....Love 'em!
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

1945 Eric Clapton was born.

1974 The Ramones give their first live show at the Performance Studio in New York.

1974 John Denver went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Sunshine On My Shoulders', the singers first of four US No.1's.

1985 Phil Collins started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'One More Night', his second US No.1, it made No.4 in the UK.

2000 Rolling Stone Mick Jagger made a nostalgic visit to his old school. He opened the new arts centre that had been named after him at Dartford Grammar. The singer said he had spent the worst years of his life at the school.

"For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tequila girl View Post
    Dark Side & Wish You were here are my favourite two Pink Floyd Albums, both were bought when they were first released and are still on my regular play list! .....Love 'em!
    Me too tg!!! I actually listened to Dark Side yesterday after seeing the above. The drums, guitars and David's voice are just freakin' amazing!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

1949 RCA Victor introduced the 45rpm single record, which had been in development since 1940. The 7-inch disc was designed to compete with the Long Playing record introduced by Columbia a year earlier. Both formats offered better fidelity and longer playing time than the 78rpm record that was currently in use. Advertisements for new record players boasted that with 45rpm records, the listener could hear up to ten records with speedy, silent, hardly noticeable changes.

1962 The Beatles played their first gig in the South of England when they appeared at The Subscription Rooms, Stroud, on the same bill as The Rebel Rousers, tickets cost 5 shillings, ($0.70).

1967 Jimi Hendrix set fire to his guitar live on stage for the first time when he was appearing at The Astoria in London, England. It was the first night of a 24-date tour with The Walker Brothers, Cat Stevens and Engelbert Humperdink. The Fender Stratocaster burned on stage by Hendrix sold for £280,000 at a 2008 London auction of rock memorabilia.

1979 Greatest Hits Vol 2' by Barbra Streisand started a four week run at No.1 on the UK album chart, the singers first UK No.1 LP.

1995 Jimmy Page escaped being knifed when a fan rushed the stage at a Page and Plant gig at Auburn Hills, Michigan. The fan was stopped by two security guards, who he knifes instead. After his arrest, he told police that he wanted to kill Jimmy Page because of the Satanic music he was playing.

1995 Mexican American singer Selena was murdered aged 23 by the president of her fan club Yolanda Saldívar. Warner Brothers made a film based on her life starring Jennifer Lopez in 1997.

(Glenn Frey)

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post
    1995 Jimmy Page escaped being knifed when a fan rushed the stage at a Page and Plant gig at Auburn Hills, Michigan. The fan was stopped by two security guards, who he knifes instead. After his arrest, he told police that he wanted to kill Jimmy Page because of the Satanic music he was playing.
    My poor Pagey!!!!! How awful! He can play all the Satanic music he wants to for me.

1971 Linda Ronstadt recruits Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner for her touring band from among a pool of musicians centered around the Troubadour, a Los Angeles club that is the center of the nascent country-rock scene.

1971 Bob Welch joins Fleetwood Mac, contributing guitar, vocals and songwriting. The group rebounds with two exquisite albums released in relatively quick succession: 'Future Games' (November 1971) and 'Bare Trees' (May 1972).

1975 Reba McIntyre records first single "I Don't Want To Be A One-Night Stand".

1976 The first Ramones album, entitled Ramones, is released. Recorded for only $6,000.00, it contains 14 songs, none over two minutes long.

1976 making their live debut in the UK, AC/DC played at The Red Cow in Hammersmith, London.

1984 Marvin Gaye is fatally shot by his father.

1989 Madonna scored her third UK No.1 album with 'Like A Prayer.' Also a US No.1 the album spent 70 weeks on the UK chart.
    (Glenn Frey)

1984 Marvin Gaye is fatally shot by his father.
    Man, there are some really sick humans in this world of ours!

MikeA

I remember the moment I first heard that Marvin had been shot. I am a huge old Motown fan and that one really hurt bad--especially under since circumstances. He was just making a huge comeback when it happened. What a loss to the Motown family.

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post
    1971 Linda Ronstadt recruits Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner for her touring band from among a pool of musicians centered around the Troubadour, a Los Angeles club that is the center of the nascent country-rock scene.
    I wonder how they get the date "April 1" for this? She recruited them separately and their first date together wasn't until July. This makes it sounds like she picked them from a cattle call!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten