Page 135 of 155 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 1542

Thread: Today in Rock n' Roll History

Default Re: Today in Rock n' Roll History

1966 Cream drummer Ginger Baker collapsed during a gig at Sussex University, England after playing a 20 minute drum solo. He recovered in a local hospital.

1977 One half of TV cop show "Starsky & Hutch" (he was blonde Hutch), David Soul was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Silver Lady', his second and last UK No.1 single.

1987 The three members from ZZ Top made advance bookings for seats on the first passenger flight to the Moon. The boys are still waiting for confirmation of the trip.

1987 Chuck Berry was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. His film biography, Hail, Hail Rock & Roll also premiered on the same night.

1988 Pink Floyd's ‘Dark Side Of The Moon’ finally left Billboard's Hot 200 Album Chart after a record breaking 741 weeks.

1992 The US Postal Service issued a set of commemorative stamps to celebrate pop music legends. The stamps included Elvis Presley, Bill Haley, Buddy Holly, Otis Redding, Ritchie Valens, Clyde McPhatter and Dinah Washington.

2006 The Killers started a three week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Sam's Town' the US bands second album.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Out on the Border Spiritinthesky's Avatar

Default This Day in Music

Oct 11th A man from Arizona sold an "air guitar" on eBay for $5.50. The seller claimed that it was “used once at a Bon Jovi concert.”

http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/going_going_gone

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: This Day in Music

Well, at least the buyer got it for under 10 bucks. Hope the seller didn't charge too much for shipping!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

On Oct 12th 1994, on their Division Bell tour, Pink Floyd played the first of a 15-night run at Earls Court, London, England. Less than a minute after the band had started playing “Shine On You Crazy Diamond”, a scaffolding stand holding 1200 fans, collapsed, throwing hundreds of people 20 feet to the ground. It took over an hour to free everyone from the twisted wreckage, ninety-six people were injured, with 36 needing hospital treatment. Six were detained overnight with back, neck and rib injuries.

http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/...ts_will_happen

Stuck on the Border

Could I ask that future posts of thsi type go into our existing thread called Today In Rock'n'Roll History. I would merge them but I don't moderate that forum.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=2070

On Oct 13th 1965, The Who recorded “My Generation”, at Pye studios, London. When released as a single it reached No.2 on the UK chart, held off the No.1 position by The Seekers “The Carnival Is Over”, (it should’ve been a No.1). Roger Daltrey would later say that he stuttered the lyrics to try to fit them to the music. The BBC in the UK initially refused to play the song because it did not want to offend people who stutter.

http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/my_generation

On Oct 13th 1965, The Who recorded “My Generation”, at Pye studios, London. When released as a single it reached No.2 on the UK chart, held off the No.1 position by The Seekers “The Carnival Is Over”, (it should’ve been a No.1). Roger Daltrey would later say that he stuttered the lyrics to try to fit them to the music. The BBC in the UK initially refused to play the song because it did not want to offend people who stutter.

http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/my_generation

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Since Koala's is at Disney and having fun.... I thought I'd lend a hand here (a few days late, I'm afraid).

1941-Paul Simon was born.

1947-The Red Rocker, Sammy Hagar, was born.

1960-No. 1 Chart Toppers Pop Hit: “Save the Last Dance for Me,” The Drifters.

1962- Don Everly collapsed during rehearsals on stage at the Prince of Wales Theatre in London on the eve of a 22 date Everly Brothers UK tour. He was flown back to the US for treatment and the tour continued with Phil Everly performing solo.

1963 – Beatlemania begins as the Beatles appear on the BBC’s Sunday Night at the Palladium show. Some 15 million people watch the program, with thousands crowding the streets around the London theater to get a look at the band.

1968 – John Lennon records “Julia,” the last song for The Beatles. It’s the only solo recording Lennon makes for the group.

– Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr and their respective spouses go to London’s Savoy Theatre to see Mary Hopkin perform. McCartney produced her hit “Those Were the Days.”

– Janis Joplin’s ashes were scattered at Stinson Beach in Marin County, California.

– Led Zeppelin begin rehearsing in preparation for a new album. The band would release In Through the Out Door in 1979.

1998 – Eric Clapton’s Crossroads Center in Antigua opens. The addiction recovery center charges $9,000 for a 29-day recovery program. The next year, Clapton auctions off his collection of guitars to benefit the center.

2008 – In a video message on his website, Ringo Starr announced that he no longer has time to sign autographs and asked fans not to send him any mail at all. “No more fan mail and no objects to be signed. Nothing.” After finishing a tour of the US and Canada, he was dividing his time between Los Angeles, the South of France and his UK home in Surrey.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritinthesky View Post

http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/my_generation
    Do you own that site you keep linking to, SITS? That's kind of spammy, y'know.

Anyway, I'm moving the posts, so you might as well start posting in the appropriate place as that's where they're going anyway.

ETA: Done.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Oct 14th 2004, Eric Clapton was suspended from driving in France after being caught speeding at 134mph in his Porsche 911 Turbo near Merceuil. He was given a 750 euro (£515) fine and his UK licence was confiscated. After paying his fine Clapton posed for photographs with French police and then left the scene in his Porsche - with his secretary behind the wheel.