View Poll Results: Should the Eagles let people up to the stage during shows?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, without qualification. It makes things more exciting!

7 30.43%
  • Yes, but only for the encore.

4 17.39%
  • Yes, but only the first couple rows (maybe the first few).

5 21.74%
  • No. It's a madhouse and unfair to the people sitting at the front.

7 30.43%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Letting People Up to the Stage

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Letting People Up to the Stage

It is amazing how 'all over the place' we are with our opinions on this. We have discussed this issue several times on the board before. I think the poll results here are indicative of just how controversial this topic is. There are really good, valid arguments on either side of the issue, and, clearly, no easy answer to the problem. I guess that's why it's still a problem!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

A lot of times, especially at a large venue, people don't block anyone because they're right up against the stage. The performer is elevated. It's not as if their butts are in the faces of the front row, although I suppose if the band allowed it without qualification that's possible. Since there's usually plenty of room up there, it would have to be a real stampede to get that crowded, and Eagles fans usually aren't the stampeding kind!

Limiting it to the first few rows as Fleetwood Mac does makes that problem go away, so that option may be more palatable to a lot of folks.

It's just that there's nothing like the energy you get at the stage, right at their feet - and the performers feed off your enthusiasm right there in front of them. It intensifies the concert experience for everyone.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    A lot of times, especially at a large venue, people don't block anyone because they're right up against the stage. The performer is elevated. It's not as if their butts are in the faces of the front row, although I suppose if the band allowed it without qualification that's possible. Since there's usually plenty of room up there, it would have to be a real stampede to get that crowded, and Eagles fans usually aren't the stampeding kind!

Limiting it to the first few rows as Fleetwood Mac does makes that problem go away, so that option may be more palatable to a lot of folks.

It's just that there's nothing like the energy you get at the stage, right at their feet - and the performers feed off your enthusiasm right there in front of them. It intensifies the concert experience for everyone.
    Gotta be careful what you suggest....the next thing we know, Azoff will hike up a new category of tickets.....$5,000 per square foot of standing room in front of the stage!

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    My sentiments exactly.

If they were to allow people up to the stage it may do well to have the floor general admission without seating or sell tickets at a certain price to have the priviledge to be right up to the stage.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Gotta be careful what you suggest....the next thing we know, Azoff will hike up a new category of tickets.....$5,000 per square foot of standing room in front of the stage!
    I think U2 does something like that right now, kind of like what FFL described. When I tried to buy tickets for U2's Chicago show, I saw a "general admission" standing-room-only section right at the stage, in front of the seats. Of course, they have a non-traditional stage set-up - the stage has a portion that extends out into the audience.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Everyone here has some really interesting thoughts on this. I went back and forth about what my vote would be. I tried to look at it from all perspectives. My first Eagles concert experience was only just last year so I don't know how this topic was handled during past concerts but I would assume that the guys (since HFO) prefer to have the audience remaining in their seats. From my experience, each time i saw the guys in concert, the audience seemed to be very respectful and remained in their seats (most stood in front of their seats) after the guys finished the encore and went to each end of the stage to wave goodbye to the audience. I think that seemed to go over well for both the Eagles and the audience. The only time I've seen people go up to the stage was when I saw the guys in Columbia this past March. I must admit that I was one of those that went up to the stage but it was after the encore and the guys bowed and I didn't stand in front of those in the front row. My seat was on the second row and I was at the very end so I was able to step into the aisl and walk up to the stage to try to get some roses to the guys. Security only allowed me to get so close to the stage but it was very exciting to see the guys that close. There were a few people that gathered behind me but there was no pushing or shoving. Everybody went their seperate ways as soon as the house lights came up. That didn't seem to be too bad to allow people up to the stage after the encore. The Eagles usually have security well informed on what they want and don't want during their concerts and their wishes seem to always be carried out the way they want it.

As far as a solo show by one of the guys I can only give my experience from seeing Don Henley solo. I don't know if Don really wants the audience to come up to the stage but it has happened. This past May when Lou and I saw him, people went up to the stage during the encore. At the Downstream concert, we made our way up to the stage after seeing others go up there. Don didn't seem to be bothered by this so much. It was at an outdoor event and there was plenty of room up for people to gather up front. We weren't blocking the view of those in the first few rows. We were standing in the aisle but still up to the stage. At the WinStar concert the very next night is a different story. Their seemed to be more of a hyped up crowd there. As soon as Don started with Hotel California near the end of the concert, people started to storm up to the front of the stage. There was a good 10 foot space between the stage and the front row and it filled up quickly. It didn't look like Don was very pleased with this and I noticed that he stayed back by the drums for sometime before he had to get back to the mic. The night before he said a few things to end the concert but during the second show he seemed to leave much quicker after he finished with Desperado. He even cut out I Will Not Go Quietly the second night.

I like the idea of being able to go up to the stage during an Eagles concert but my vote was No. The guys seem to be okay with people staying in their seats and not going up to the front of the stage and that's okay with me. I did mention that I have made my way to the stage in the past but I did so by not pushing and shoving and I stayed in the aisle area near the stage and didn't block anybody's view that was in the first few rows.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    I'm short, so someone who is only 5'4" would block my view. If I paid for front row, I better BE front row... not behind a bunch of people crowding the stage. Somehow, I usually end up behind the guy who is 6'3".
    I totally hear you!! I'm 4' 11 1/2 and it doesn't take much to block my view either. LOL

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

OMG Britt - you are my new best friend because we are the same height! I didn't think there was anybody around as short as me!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016