Page 179 of 200 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179180181182183189 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 1997

Thread: Walsh Worship: The Joe Walsh Photo Thread

Default Re: Walsh Worship: The Joe Walsh Photo Thread

Willie, your avatar is amazing!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Thank you! I kind of like it!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I'm speechless!!!

Stuck on the Border

So was I when I saw it in the other thread.

I love that photo!

JW and Page are good pals. Wish they'd play onstage together! Afterall it was Joe that sold him what became his iconic main guitar (his "#1" 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard).

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

I just see two iconic happy campers and that makes my day...
    rock on dudues

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I love that photo!

JW and Page are good pals. Wish they'd play onstage together! Afterall it was Joe that sold him what became his iconic main guitar (his "#1" 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard).
    wow can you imagine those two on stage together?....I get the chills thinking of it...Austin...I love these little guitar tidbits you know...I wonder what the story is behind JW selling him that guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    wow can you imagine those two on stage together?....I get the chills thinking of it...Austin...I love these little guitar tidbits you know...I wonder what the story is behind JW selling him that guitar?
    Lots of deets on that transaction from all different people... This is commonly discussed on the Les Paul Forum (where I post as well).

It was sold to Page in '69. Joe insisted to Jimmy that it was "THE" guitar for him because Page liked thin necks and Joe thought Page would sound better with a Les Paul or that it would fit him better because he knew Page liked thin neck guitars (from back to front). The deal was, it was Joe's and he had it refurbished and they thinned the neck TOO much and it didn't feel right to Joe like it did pre-refurbish so he pushed it on over to Jimmy.

At the time Page was playing Fender Telecasters and LZ I was all Tele and most of II. It was III and IV where that LP started becoming THE guitar.

Here's a few notable quotes first:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh
    Jimmy was having trouble finding a good Les Paul back then. I had two, so I sold him one of mine. He used that Les Paul on the bulk of his work with Led Zeppelin. Once you get used to a Les Paul it becomes your axe from then on. Les Pauls are like that. Once you find your personal Les Paul, that’s it.
    Sing it Joe! Les Pauls can't be beat for RnR!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh
    I pretty much gave it to him. When Led Zeppelin came to play in the United States for the first time, their album had just come out. Jimmy was most known for playing with the Yardbirds. Led Zeppelin was the new band that he was coming back with and everyone was really excited. The James Gang opened for them for about four or five shows on that first tour and I got to know Jimmy a lot better than I already had.

Jimmy was really looking for a Les Paul guitar. He had been playing Fenders, with a single coil, and it just wasn’t rocking enough for him. He needed a Les Paul for that band. They were not expensive, back then, but they were hard to find. I happened to have two and I gave him one. I sold it for like fifteen hundred bucks or something. I had to fly to New York to give it to him, so I had some expenses. That is the guitar that most of the Led Zeppelin stuff was done on. I just thought that he ought to have one and that I had two and only needed one.
    And here is a video by Pagey himself talking about it:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLSz5vD9Dho[/ame]

Have I bored you yet?! Some of us geetar slingin rock n roll geeks on the forums sit around researching this crap for ages. What strings did Angus use, etc. Some even obsess over what kind of friggin material the PICKGUARD of some famous guitarist's guitar was made out of thinking it would make a difference in his classic guitar sound. I like to think I have slightly more of a life than that although I AM guilty of researching gear in general. After all, I have to live up to my title.

heck no not boring at all...actually fascinating...Jimmy Page is a living legend and to think he got his favorite guitar from Joe is so cool...I love hearing all this kind of stuff..

*Sigh* Oh, Jimmy!!!