Thread: Dream Songs

Default Dream Songs

I know we've touched on this before (and if this thread can be merged with another, please do so Mods!) but I was listening to "Oh Girl" by the Chi Lites earlier, and all I could think of was how gorgeous Don would sound singing it! I bet he could do a beautiful, equally soulful version. Paul Young did so, and it was one of my favourite songs when I was younger.

Anyway, here is the Chi Lites version:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjN8huzS2Nc[/ame]

Which songs would you love to hear the Eagles/a specific Eagle sing?

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Default Re: Dream Songs

What a great topic! I'm sure I'll think of more, but here's one - Against the Wind by Bob Seger. I bet Glenn could really do this one up right. It would be a cool tribute to his old buddy to do it, I think, plus he actually sings backup on the studio version. He could do it with the Eagles too - that great harmony back-and-forth at the end.

Plus, I think many of the lyrics could apply now - except maybe Glenn might feel a bit uncomfortable singing the line "Janie was lovely, she was the queen of my nights" since it might be a little TOO applicable (that was coincidentally the name of his first wife who he was with in some fashion from 1978-1986).

ETA: OK, now that I think about THAT factoid I realize Glenn would never sing this song. But this is a fantasy thread so I'm still putting it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcDCvQbOdig[/ame]

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

This will come as no surprise but I would like to hear Glenn sing anything by Van Morrison. I don't know what.

I would like to hear Glenn get away from doing the straightforward R&B covers he favours and sing something with a long, controversial lyric. Don has done Leonard Cohen's Democracy and Everybody Knows. Why can't Glenn sing something like that? I suspect because he would think it doesn't fit his image, even though he sang Lyin' Eyes.

After Don did I'm The Fool I would like to hear him sing anything else by Mark Knopfler (Glenn too).

What a great topic. Just in case Tim ever reads this and is looking for some ideas. After hearing his cover of "I Only Have Eyes For You" I can almost close my eyes and imagine him doing these songs!

My Prayer - The Platters
    Smoke Gets In Your Eyes - The Platters
    Only You - The Platters
    On Broadway - The Platters
    You Send Me - Sam Cook
    Misty - Johnny Mathis
    Since I Fell For You - Lenny Welch
    And how about "Love Me Tender"?
    Or a remake of "When I Fall in Love"?
    Tell It Like It Is -- Aaron Neville
    You Make Me Feel Brand new - The Tramps
    Also, some of the really CLASSIC standards (now I'm aging myself) like "As Time Goes By".

I'd really love to hear Glenn do "Dust in the Wind" (Kansas) -- maybe as a duet with Don -- and personally think Don could do some real justice to a few old Steve Miller Band tunes.

As for Joe.....I would LOVE to see his version of "Me and Bobby McGee"!!
    I just need a little downtime.........

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Oh Cynd- I could SO see him doing Tell It Like It Is!! That would be a wonderful version of that song! Love that idea!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

Ohhh, I'd love to hear Tim sing just about any of those!

My dream combination would be Don singing and Joe improvising/embellishing "Turn the Page."

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloByMorning View Post
    My dream combination would be Don singing and Joe improvising/embellishing "Turn the Page."
    When I saw this thread title tonight, that was EXACTLY the scenario that popped into my head!!

Joe Walsh: "Smoke On The Water".

There's a story about that!

Some supposed Fan of his at a M&G or maybe a small concert I think, said something like "I just love the way you do "Smoke"....it's my favorite song you do!"

Apparently Joe let the comment pass until later when he was interviewing I think with Mark Lane. At that time he related the story or Mark did and Joe said that for enough money he'd play it.

MikeA