Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: George Strait

Default Re: George Strait

Hey - I just saw him a few weeks ago at the Reliant Stadium in Hotstown! (Houston)

It was my second time to see him. The crowd was HUGE. I mean over 50,000 peeps.

And when he came out - you could almost see him walking on water in some of the crowds eyes. They just adore him.

And then at the end of the show he started from one end of the stage and shook hands with all of his fans who managed to make it up to the stage until he finally got to the other end of the stage. About 10 minutes of shaking hands whilst the rest of the audience went nuts.

Just amazing to see. I'd put him up there with the Boss and U2 for live performances. I love his older songs but mainly it's fun to see how the audience reacts to him.

Maid

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

Isn't that great?!?!?! He closes every show with "The Cowboy Rides Away" and then shakes everyone's hand! My 22nd birthday present was first-row tickets to see him, so I had the pleasure. My father said I grinned like I'd just swallowed a rainbow.

I much prefer his older stuff, as well; but "Troubadour" sounds like Vintage '80s Strait. Glad you got to see him, and enjoyed it! Isn't it funny how the crowd spans every single age bracket?

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

Love his CD Troubadour. I like the video that he made for the song Troubadour, and all of the old pictures of him and his family that they included in it.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Hey, and have you guys seen Pure Country? I loved him in that!
    Allow me to say, I've loved George for probably the past twenty plus years. I enjoy most everything I've heard from him. Starting back with Amarillo by Morning and Fool Hearted Memory. I adore You Look So Good In Love and I Hate Everything.... but that movie... a, yeah.... um... not so much. For whatever reason, my husband who HATES country music, finds this movie to be his guilty pleasure. He watches it whenever it's on and even quotes the movie!!! I make so much fun of him and "I" actually like George! I just don't think the movie is very good and his acting isn't too good either, IMO.

Awwww, I love Pure Country and quote it copiously. "There are no answers.... only the search." (Not a single person has ever caught that one but I love Grandma Ivy.) And "I don't blame you for keeping your mouth shut. Can't get a word in edgewise with those three. Always yappin' about this or that when they should be eatin', workin' or sleepin'. And that to my mind is what's wrong with this whole country. I mean, it's goin' straight to hell!" George regards him for a moment, having just experienced a breakfast where nobody said a word, and then finally just nods, "Yes, sir." Boda-bing! Admittedly the acting isn't stellar, but it sure eclipsed the recent GI Joe blockbuster. And the sight of him roping and singing "King of Broken Hearts" on the front porch made the entire movie. So.... guess we all know what I'll be doing tonight.

I did get the greatest shirt from his concert - on the front it says "I hate everything!" and on the back "Thanks for Everything! George Strait Tour 2005"
    Last edited by AmarilloByMorning; 08-28-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Not to mention his heartbreaking version of Last in Love from the soundtrack. I have always loved it. That way he sings, "Every now and then, voices on the wind call me back to the first time".... "When the night is clear, I can hear the teardrops..." and especially "I may love you always and always..."

If I'm in the right mood and thinking about a certain someone that I haven't seen since 2002 when I moved to Indiana, but who has recently friended me on Facebook so I can enjoy the lovely photos he posts of his wife who happened to be the girl he dumped me for, I have actually gotten choked up by this song! This despite the fact that I am so glad it didn't work out with him because if it had, I would now be living in some small town in Texas with a bunch of kids, and that would have pretty much been my life (not that there's anything wrong with that, but at this point, it's not for me). ANYWAY...

I had no idea it was first recorded by JD Souther, or that it was co-written by Glenn Frey. I just didn't pay attention to that kind of thing. Even if I had, I wouldn't have then appreciated how awesome that was.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxqM71i_dLk[/ame]

I think this version rivals the original recorded by JD Souther. :ducks:

Still, when I went to see JD Souther's show in Chicago, I actually wrote him a mini-fan letter tell him how I loved this song and why, and I was able to hand it to him myself because he stays afterward to talk to fans and sign albums (yes, I now have a Longbranch Pennywhistle album signed by BOTH Glenn and JD, which even gave JD pause, lol).

All this to say... I love that song.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Absolutely adore that song - had absolutely no idea it was a Souther/Frey composition, which only serves to increase its cool quotient exponentially. I... wow! Words fail!

They should've given Glenn a part in Pure Country... The drummer was great, but how hilarious would that have been for Glenn to play Dusty's drummer/best friend? Or he probably could have pulled off the punk songwriter boyfriend of his manager, too.

If I'm in the right mood and thinking about a certain someone that I haven't seen since 2002 when I moved to Indiana, but who has recently friended me on Facebook so i can enjoy the lovely photos he posts of his wife who happened to be the girl he dumped me for, I have actually gotten choked up by this song! This despite the fact that I am so glad it didn't work out with him because if it had, I would now be living in some small town in Texas with a bunch of kids which would completely define my existence...
    1. That is absolutely horrific that he friend'ed you;
    2. I second every other sentiment you expressed in that paragraph, except for the "not that there's anything wrong with that" portion;
    3. Not that my opinion matters, but you're much better off without a houseful of mongrels defining your existence. I always hate when people say that, but sometimes it really is true;
    4. One more time, the scenario you relayed is horrific. May I purchase you a virtual drink? Or here, let's virtually StevieSmack him:

(yes, I now have a Longbranch Pennywhistle album signed by BOTH Glenn and JD, which even gave JD pause, lol).
    THAT is awesome, and proof that the universe is inherently unfair. Why aren't people like you selected to be at things like the HFO live taping?!?! "No, I don't have an invitation, but here's my CoolCard; beat that!"

I absolutely guarantee this song will shoot into my Top 25 Most Played within three days. So heartwrenching.... Thank you! I mean, not for your misery, but for reigniting my interest in this song. Aw crap, this is why I'm not a therapist. Hopefully the shared sentiment emerged somewhere amidst the dribble.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloByMorning View Post
    1. That is absolutely horrific that he friend'ed you;
    2. I second every other sentiment you expressed in that paragraph, except for the "not that there's anything wrong with that" portion;
    3. Not that my opinion matters, but you're much better off without a houseful of mongrels defining your existence. I always hate when people say that, but sometimes it really is true;
    4. One more time, the scenario you relayed is horrific. May I purchase you a virtual drink? Or here, let's virtually StevieSmack him:
    Thanks for the sympathy! But I actually edited what you quoted for no. 3, because I feel like it sounded like I was looking down on people who chose that life and really I'm not. As long as they're happy, I really do believe there's nothing wrong with it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I do apologize for the unintended implication. I'm just so sick of being ridiculed for my life choices that the venom keeps seeping through. I'd make a terrific Rolling Stone reviewer - "I'm completely impartial! Except for this giant chip I'm hauling around next to the monkey."