Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Woodstock 40 year Anniversary

Default Re: Woodstock 40 year Anniversary

There were some pretty gruesome negotiations concerning the Film Rights. Many of the bands that did perform REFUSED to sign releases for the film. I recall reading about this in "Living With The Dead"...a bio of the Grateful Dead. The Dead did perform but for some reason that I cannot recall right off hand, refused to sign...probably (opinion here) over financial arrangements.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

BTW Mike--Five Man Electrical Band first and then Tesla remade Signs in the 80s. Just had to throw that into this discussion since you asked.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Thanks Willie, I'm sure it was the Five Man Electrical Band that I recall singing it.

MikeA

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I can understand how people born to late to have a choice about life styles during the 60's and early 70's might look back on what happened at Woodstock and shiver in either horror or disgust...or maybe a little of both.
    Oh, please. The current generation is cruising around blasting wretched music and shooting or assaulting for sport or in accordance with their gang mandates. I'll support the Woodstock generation's methods any day. Whom were they hurting, honestly? And they certainly seemed happy, unlike any of the subsequent generations.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    There were some pretty gruesome negotiations concerning the Film Rights. Many of the bands that did perform REFUSED to sign releases for the film.
    What I wouldn't give for The Band's footage!! Ohhhhhhhh, rue the whatshisname who refused to sign... I'll have to reread This Wheel's on Fire tonight.

Maybe I should have said "Born too late to have experienced the social climate in the 60's" rather than what I did say "Born too late to have a choice about life styles".

Today's generation and even those subsequent to the 60's have their problems too. And they are severe. The Aides crisis is certainly something that threatened the lives of these generations. Good grief, with the promiscuity of the 60's and the dirty needles, if Aides had been booming as it did in the next decades, there wouldn't have BEEN another generation!

Gang Violence? Oh, it was happening back in the 60's....just not to the extremes that it has achieved over the past 20 or so years. In fact, it was rather "rare" in the 60's with a few exceptions. Hell's Angels come to mind along with what happened involving them at the Monterey Festival....but again, that was pretty rare. The Black Panther Party comes to mind, but they were trying to accomplish something legitimate....not anarchy for the sake of anarchy! Their protests were militant where most of the protests going on back then were really threatening "sit-ins" <LOL>

But the one thing that we couldn't escape was the futile political war that we were not allowed to "win" and was called a police action. That effected EVERYONE....men, women....just about every Babyboomer parent and their families. Very depressing and the "escape" to rebellion was fairly easy to understand in hindsight. The term "Generation Gap" really was defined in the last half of the 60's. Before that, most of the kids were pretty well content to maintain status quo and not disappoint their parents. Attend Sunday School, be an "A" student, join the Boy and Girl Scouts, and go to college.

Big Change wrought in the Sixties!

MikeA