Page 19 of 53 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Little Things That Remind You of Other Borderers

Default Re: Little Things That Remind You of Other Borderers

Walked into the house this afternoon & my husband was playing "Sultans of Swing". Immediately thought of FP. I haven't heard Dire Straits for a while (I used to have a cassette - not sure if it was a Best Of but I think so). Heard Romeo & Juliet for the first time too!
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesKiwi View Post
    Walked into the house this afternoon & my husband was playing "Sultans of Swing". Immediately thought of FP. I haven't heard Dire Straits for a while (I used to have a cassette - not sure if it was a Best Of but I think so). Heard Romeo & Juliet for the first time too!
    You heard R&J for the FIRST time?

You'd better tell me what you thought, EK. You are talking about a song which is on its way to becoming my favourite song, bar none.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    You heard R&J for the FIRST time?

You'd better tell me what you thought, EK. You are talking about a song which is on its way to becoming my favourite song, bar none.
    Yep - first time! The first Dire Straits song I remember hearing was "Money For Nothing" when I was 13...

Liked it on first listen - and I think I will like it more as I get more familiar with it. It has some great lyrics ("kiss you through the bars of a rhyme" in particular ). There's nothing "overdone" about it either.

I can see how it could become your favourite song.

(BTW, my current favourite Dire Straits song is "Brothers In Arms". Bearing in mind that I haven't heard all their stuff yet! ).
    Suzanne

I love Romeo and Juliet, too. Such a brilliant song. Those lyrics are great, EK, although I'm pretty sure I know what FP's favourite line is...

Brothers In Arms is one of my faves, too.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Stuck on the Border

Don't get me started, that's all.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Awwwwww, do get started Julie. I love Dire Straits. BIA was one of my favourite albums in the mid eighties.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

All I know is that I of course knew Dire Straits big hits but can honestly say that if it hadn't been for "meeting" Julie here, I wouldn't have bought all their albums at the last album show I attended to give them a listen to.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    I love Romeo and Juliet, too. Such a brilliant song. Those lyrics are great, EK, although I'm pretty sure I know what FP's favourite line is...

Brothers In Arms is one of my faves, too.
    Okay, I've been trying to figure it out... but there are several lines that could work so you're gonna have to tell us FP!
    Suzanne

Can I step in here? The line I'm thinking of is "Julie, I'd do the stars with you anytime." Pretty self-explanatory! I'm sure FP has a signature featuring that lyric.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesKiwi View Post
    Okay, I've been trying to figure it out... but there are several lines that could work so you're gonna have to tell us FP!
    I'd like to know what you think the other lines are, given that I worship the entire song.

'Julie, I'd do the stars with you any time': The point is that the song is a vernacular version of Shakespeare, if you like, and Shakespeare was IMO the greatest man who ever lived, so this song is just a perfect tribute. (It also references the adaptation of the play in West Side Story in the lines 'there's a place for us/you know the movie song'). But I love it that for a second he stops calling her Juliet & gets all 'intimate' with her to tell her how much he loves her. I also think it's a beautiful image and coming straight after the 'all I do is kiss you/through the bars of a rhyme' which EK said she liked, it's even better. But because he's singing my name, which is not a name heard in songs very often, and because my mother wanted to call me Juliet but my father preferred Julie, it has extra resonance.

'You and me babe, how about it' isn't 'what light through yonder window breaks.... it is the east and Juliet is the sun' but it will do.