Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: What now?

Default Re: What now?

Well, the ticket prices are one thing you can't blame Grateful Dead for! And, they did have a few followers <LOL>

But the Eagles have pretty much always been after commercial success if the accounts I've read are true. And, I mean nothing detrimental with that statement.

Sadly though for me, they have pretty much lost their revenue from my price of admission. I paid the price a few years ago (several times) and have seen 'em and loved 'em. I'll be content from here on out with CDs and DVDs. Just too rich for my pocketbook after adding in the travel expense.

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloByMorning View Post
    Soda, I completely understand the economics and supply/demand/relative value concepts. However, I cannot reconcile this with tracks like "Business as Usual."
    Yeah, I hear ya. Looking back, I see Prettymaid's three-word answer would have sufficed. lol!

Willie - it makes me sad that you aren't going to any more shows but I understand. Just remember how happy you were in that fourth row seat, though, and what a wonderful experience that concert was. Remember that excitement you felt when the guys came out and played How Long, the euphoria of the show and getting to hear them sing their hearts out on every song, how thrilled we felt when we left Cincinnati together (and Chicago too even though your seat was further back). The happy memories are there - don't ever let those go.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Yeah, I hear ya. Looking back, I see Prettymaid's three-word answer would have sufficed. lol!
    On the contrary, I appreciated your reply. I apologize if my comment indicated otherwise.

Willie - I actually do not intend to frequent concerts anymore, either. I thought my first Eagles experience (September of last year) would prove life-altering, as they were the last of the legends I had never experienced (save for the Beatles/Doors/etc. who died or disbanded prior to my birth, though I did catch McCartney). Honestly, while I enjoyed the show, I might as well have stayed home with the CD. No improv, scripted jokes (including the damn "credit card" one preceding TITTL in which I fail to discern one iota of humor) and Henley seemed utterly bored. Though I'm glad I went, it will not happen again. Neil Young often sounds hideous and I occasionally dislike the songs he selects (I suspect he deliberately pulls out ill-received tracks just to test us), but you never know what you're going to get - every concert is like a Christmas present. Perfectionism is a formidable beast.

I'm just kidding around with ya, Soda!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Willie - it makes me sad that you aren't going to any more shows but I understand. Just remember how happy you were in that fourth row seat, though, and what a wonderful experience that concert was. Remember that excitement you felt when the guys came out and played How Long, the euphoria of the show and getting to hear them sing their hearts out on every song, how thrilled we felt when we left Cincinnati together (and Chicago too even though your seat was further back). The happy memories are there - don't ever let those go.
    Soda, you don't play fair!!! Like I've said so many times---that was the most awesome concert experience I have ever had (and I've had MANY) because, even tho I had already seen them, I was that close, sitting smack dab in front of Tim with Katie, who was also in awe, and getting a little Glenn lovin' didn't hurt either. I will always be forever grateful that I was able to spend that $ at that time and experience it! It is something I will never ever ever ever forget. But I am trying to keep things in perspective. It still burns me every time I see the price of a ticket, or I think about the fliers that someone here talked about on their seat about the stand/sit "policy", among other things that I won't go on about. I just want to scream "How dare you?". I cannot stress to anyone (and I have tried with everyone who has ever known me since about 1976) how much I truly love this band and how much respect I have for most of the members, past and present. They are by far the most talented musicians that have ever made music. But that being said, I don't like greediness and as we fight and struggle for every dollar we earn I will not part with it quite so easily in the future with the economy the way it is.

ABM---Glad to know I'm not alone in feeling like this. It's not as if I don't intend to attend any more concerts but I can honestly say I will probably never ever spend that kind of money on a ticket ever again. If it hadn't been the Eagles, I wouldn't have ever spent it in the first place. It was the frickin' Eagles!!!! I wasn't about to miss that chance-again!!!

Like I said before, I have been to tons of concerts and can honestly say that one of the best concerts I have ever attended was Styx just this last March. For the money (around $45.00 or so if I remember right) it was by far the best value for a concert. They interacted with the crowd, told stories, had everyone up and dancing thru the whole show and threw out thousands of dollars worth of merchandise to the crowd. These guys put on a show like no one else, gave it their all and from what I've heard, always do! They might not be making the millions that some bands are but you can tell it's all about giving the fans everything they can. And again, I remind you, I spent only $45.00 a ticket but I got well over $200.00 worth of entertainment, if you know what I mean!

Here's a link to my review here on the Border for it, if you are interested.
    https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...highlight=styx

Regardless---I still love my Eagles but still maintain they need to lighten up while they still can. I fear that they may lose fans that aren't as dedicated as me if they don't.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

Think of me and wonder if I will be paying A$559.60 per ticket again?! Those were 'Diamond' tickets and I went to four shows. The 'Gold' ticket in Melbourne cost $227.70.

The total was $2246.10 I don't think they can seriously charge that much next time, surely.

I bet they charge just as much... maybe even more. That was four years ago, after all. Inflation, devaluation of currency... yep, they'll probably charge more. But hey, we'll see. I hope I'm wrong!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    The total was $2246.10 I don't think they can seriously charge that much next time, surely.
    They can...and they will.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Agreed. Until people stop paying the high prices, they will continue to charge them.

I did the VIP 5 star once. At $800 per ticket (2) I felt really guilty for doing it and will never do it again. To not even get to meet a band member for that is just plain ridiculous. Even the best seats tickets at $187 each (2) are too much for me to ever do again. I'd like to see them again, but I won't do that. And I've loved the Eagles since the beginning.

But honestly, how rich do these people want to be? Can they never get enough?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

At the level of financial success the Eagles are at, money isn't money any more. It's just a way of keeping score.

MikeA