Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Greatest Band Round #5 Finale

Default Re: Greatest Band Round #5 Finale

We had a discussion about this at the dinner table tonight and my daughter who is a huge Elvis fan was thrilled. She also made a comment about Bob Dylan and said he may have been an influence on the rap movement too.

Thank you Mike for taking the time to tally all the votes. Great way to feed through musicians I haven't listened to in a while and some I may have heard once or twice growing up and now because of this I am now making a trip to the record store this weekend.

Great job Mike! Truly enjoyed it and I'm quite satisfied with the result being a tie between two fantastic artists!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_For_Life View Post
    We had a discussion about this at the dinner table tonight and my daughter who is a huge Elvis fan was thrilled. She also made a comment about Bob Dylan and said he may have been an influence on the rap movement too.

Thank you Mike for taking the time to tally all the votes. Great way to feed through musicians I haven't listened to in a while and some I may have heard once or twice growing up and now because of this I am now making a trip to the record store this weekend.

I would have thought if Dylan influenced rap it could only have been in the rapid fire delivery of Subterranean Homesick Blues. I can't see anything else except perhaps the use of free form lyrics.

I didn't know where to put this bit of info, but since this forum is the first place I heard of this artist (thanks to Mike), this is where I chose. I noted today that John Mayall, legendary blues guitarist is going to be performing 2 shows in a lovely old theater in quaint Sellersville, PA in mid-August. Tix are $35-$50 pp. I thought that was pretty cool for those of you who might be interested in seeing one of the greats, and might be out this way in the summer.

The same theater is having a tribute band for the Eagles known as Hotel California later this week, but it is sold out.
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesvet View Post
    I didn't know where to put this bit of info, but since this forum is the first place I heard of this artist (thanks to Mike), this is where I chose. I noted today that John Mayall, legendary blues guitarist is going to be performing 2 shows in a lovely old theater in quaint Sellersville, PA in mid-August.
    WOW!! I guess I didn't realize he was still doing anything as far as shows. He's in his mid 70's or so! Would love to get a chance to see this but unfortunately, will probably never get a chance ever.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Mayall was/is pure. Never wanted to do anything but perpetuate Blues and started at a time when Blues wasn't "cool". I don't know that I ever really liked a lot of what he recorded, but I nothing but adulation for the influence he had on so many of the Legends that got their start with him.

If you don't know who I mean, look up a geneology of John Mayall's Blues Breakers. You might be shocked at who all was in that band at one time or another.

For that reason, I'd not give a second thought to attending that concert if there was any way at all for me to get there!

MikeA