Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Band Round #5 Finale

Default Re: Greatest Band Round #5 Finale

I think that what this excercise showed me is that I have a hard time talking and thinking about music with my head! It's all about the feeling for me. It was interesting though!

Congratulations to the winners!

Mike, thanks for coming up with the game- now let's do something easier!!!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Okay Cathy,

I have a new Quarter. ON it are two sides and an edge. Which of the three surfaces are superior and why?

Voting will commence Thursday morning.

LOL

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    You get Bruce Springsteen, right? [/center]
    Love this comment!! That's basically why I voted for Dylan, in honor of all the singer-songwriters who followed in his footsteps, so I'm glad you took it one step further!!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Seriously, I really enjoyed this game, Mike and everyone. I think we all learned to explore a little outside our own comfort zones in music, that's for sure. There's no way when we first started with the 82 that I ever thought that the final one (or two) would be who we ended up with, that's for sure. (Actually, I would've bet five dollars to a doughnut that Willie would be smilin' and Led Zep would be the winner, and look where that would've gotten me!) But, I do think that we have chosen two very influential artists in music history, and of that we can be proud!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

I've been saying it the whole time, but this was so enjoyable for me! Music is a passion of mine, which is funny since I can't play an instrument or sing to save my life! I loved this game, because I thirst for musical knowledge. I learned a lot about some artists I previously had known nothing about!

I couldn't even imagine the winner when this first began... but now that the end is here, I'm pleased. Thanks so everyone, it's because of the choices that were made that I did my research and loved every minute of it!

I'm actually not surprised by the final two. While they both have different strengths, in their own specialty, each has been hailed as "the greatest" before. We're just joining the chorus. I for one am happy with a tie.

Thanks for the fun, Mike! Well done!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    I couldn't even imagine the winner when this first began... but now that the end is here, I'm pleased. Thanks so everyone, it's because of the choices that were made that I did my research and loved every minute of it!
    Have you read many books on the early days of Rock? You know, ones like those about the Eagles, Felder's book, books about Laurel Canyon, those two autobiographies by David Crosby....many many others?

I have books on Stevie Ray Vaughan, Janis Joplin, Grateful Dead, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix and who knows who else! They are just packed with trivia...some valid and some that are either "spun" towards the author's viewpoint, or that have been "mis-remembered". God knows there were enough mind altering drugs involved back in the early years (and probably today as well) that much that is provided in the books has to be sort of "sifted" to get at the most likely reality.

Unfortunately, it wasn't just the Artists who were "tripping". Agents, Record Execs and Fans were all playing that game...or most of them were. So "eye witness" accounts are not necessarily validating factors! But they do make a good read!

MikeA

Well, Mike I guess you can say you have a Rock N' Roll Library

I've got a good start on one EL. I'm missing books on Elvis, Beatles and I know there are a ton of them written and available. I don't know about some of the others though I presume they have "histories"....Led Zep, Stones (I know they do!) The Who, Beach Boys, Dylan....My thirst for this kind of thing is insatiable.

I only regret that I cannot retain all that information. The up-side of that though is that I can go back and re-read those books and still enjoy reading them <LOL>

MikeA

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Congratulations to Bob Dylan and Elvis Presley on their tie in our little Border experiment. I'm honestly not too surprised at the results either.

It was fun and informative, and I agree with others who say it all boils down to our personal tastes. But that is probably the way it should be. No matter how objective we try to be about music, or what criteria we use to judge, it is probably impossible not to let our preferences influence us.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016