Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest Band Round #5 Finale

Default Greatest Band Round #5 Finale

Here are the 5 top vote getters. In this round, select only ONE contentant for the most influential in the Business Honors.

Bob Dylan
    Chuck Berry
    Jimi Hendrix
    Elvis Presley
    Rolling Stones

MikeA

Default Re: Greatest Band Round #5 Finale

Note that it would disappoint me NOT AT ALL if all 5 of these got an equal number of votes and TIED for Top Honors. I must admit that I am a bit shocked that Led Zeppelin did not make the final cut but I don't know who I would have chopped to make room for them! There is an absolute dead head between two of the final 5 in my mind and I don't see how I can vote for one over the other!

<SIGH>

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I'm not going to play with any of you any more!!!!! I can't believe Zep is gone!!! What the heck people?

I had this all figured out--now what am I going to do! When do you need our final vote by Mike?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Last round I said it pained me to cut Zeppelin, so I know how you feel. I just decide between Dylan, Berry and Hendrix. I've already crossed Elvis and Stones off of my list. This is where subjectivity comes in, eh?

Elvis Presley

BOB DYLAN
    I just need a little downtime.........

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, I’m not too surprised at the results here. It is hard for me to choose with the bands and solo acts mixed. I am very conflicted right now about which act will get my final vote – right now it’s a virtual tie in my mind. When I decide, I’m going to rank my top five.

If you take away the solo acts, the way I see it, there are four bands that are in the very top echelon above and beyond all others – The Beatles, Eagles, The Rolling Stones, and Led Zeppelin. The criteria I used in forming my opinion are:

• Popularity
    • Quality and quantity of their music and songwriting
    • Influence on other musicians and rock culture
    • Longevity

Of course, my two favorites were left out of this “experiment”. Now if they had been included, I think The Beatles should probably win most of the time in any kind of poll, contest, or “exercise” such as this. My second place vote would go to the Eagles, even though I know everyone would not agree with me. I personally think the Eagles have always been extremely underrated by the critics. Also, because of their mass appeal, I think in some respects it was considered “cool” to hate them – kinda the anti-establishment attitude. It’s very difficult to explain because in so many ways the Eagles were among the anti-establishment, but yet, they somehow managed to break the barrier with their beautiful harmonies and melodies so that their music also appealed to the establishment. It’s as if some people loved their music, harmonies, and melodies so much that they didn’t care what the lyrics were about. Even though they are the band that defines country rock, they also managed to very successfully crossover into so many other genres of music. So while the band does have some detractors, I believe their popularity surpasses the Stones and Zeppelin, and that helps earn them 2nd place on my list. I just don’t believe that any other band has such widespread “crossover” appeal among all kinds of people and age groups. Many people from all walks of life just plain and simply love their music. I think this is why, even after the band broke up, their music just wouldn’t die.

I’ve never been a huge Rolling Stones fan, but their longevity alone puts them very close to the Eagles on my list. As has already been pointed out, these guys were kind of the “anti-Beatles” when they first arrived on the scene with a harder, edgier, sound – perhaps the precursor to hard rock. I like a lot of their songs, but not to extent that I like Eagles songs. There is no denying the impact they have had on rock music. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of any other band that has stayed together for 45 years without breaking up.

Now, this brings me to Led Zeppelin. My purely objective head acknowledges that they have earned a place among the other three elite bands mentioned here. However, my heart always tells me that they have also always been overrated. They are the original hard rock band. It’s not that they aren’t talented, and I know they have big fan base and sold lots of records, but I don’t believe they (or hard rock) have anywhere near the broad crossover appeal of The Beatles or the Eagles. For whatever reasons, as much as it was considered “cool” for the anti-establishment to hate the Eagles, it was also considered “cool” to like Zeppelin. To this day, I still feel so “uncool” when I admit that I am not a big fan. But, I actually know a lot of other people who feel much the same way as I do. In all honesty, Stairway to Heaven is about the only Zeppelin song that I like a lot – to me, it is indeed the band’s one true masterpiece. Most of their music just doesn’t appeal to me. The only CD I own these days is Mothership, but I never listen to it. I actually once tried to give it away to my 18 year old niece, but she listened to it and said “no thanks”. Sorry, Led Zeppelin fans, but I just don’t think their music resonates that well outside of the hard rock/heavy metal fan base, and that is the reason that the band didn’t make the final cut here.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    I'm not going to play with any of you any more!!!!! I can't believe Zep is gone!!! What the heck people?

I had this all figured out--now what am I going to do! When do you need our final vote by Mike?
    Willie,

I've been giving 48 hours between rounds. So to keep it level, I'll make the final tally Wednesday morning at 7am CDT (-6 hrs GMT).

BTW...I could make a solid case for ANY of the TOP-10 and certainly for the TOP-5. I really do not think we are going to come to any conclusions here. I'm thinking there is going to be a veritable tie between these top-5 finalists. I'll make the Tally, but am NOT going to suggest any "tie-breakers" to eliminate all but ONE.

In my opinion, it is a dead heat between Dylan and Hendrix and with that said, I can argue myself out of that statement when it comes to crossing off Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley or the Stones. I just don't have either the objectivity or the data to empirically conclude that any of the top 5 stand significantly above the other four in enough ways to designate them "THE Greatest".

I'm happy with just having narrowed it down to the TOP-TEN. My selections for the top-5 were pretty much arbitrary...random selection.

And before anyone else says it, I'll say it myself:

"THAT'S A COPOUT"

MikeA

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

I think this is hard, becuase you aren't comparing the same things. How can you decide who contributes more, a songwriter or a guitar player. KWIM?

As for Chuck... the creator of rock'n'roll? So yeah, I may just throw a dart and see where it lands.

Chuck Berry for the win!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.