Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Band Round #4 Final FiVE

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Greatest Band Round #4 Final FiVE

All of these bands/people in this contest are just out of this world when it comes right down to it. How to pick 'the greatest'; very, very hard.

I know I was one that said in one of the first rounds that I finally had to go with my heart. I don't know anything about music other than what I like, so Mike's and others comments have really helped me out.

As far as loving these final five goes, none of them are my very favorites.

I do love some of the Stones songs. I have their 40 Licks album and it's fantastic. Love, love, love Honkey Tonk Woman, Satisfaction, Gimme Shelter,It's Only Rock & Roll, ok-most all the songs on this cd set! But as far as any of their other albums, nope. But when I finally got to go see them in concert, it was kind of an out of body experience! Just to be in the same room as these icons of rock & roll was just thrilling. What a show they put on!

Led Zep. Back in the day, I didn't really like them at all. It's only been in the last 3 or 4 years that I've come to appreciate their music and the dvd era has helped that along immensely. If only I'd known what Robert Plant and Jimmie Page looked like back then! Sorry, this isn't a 'good looks' contest, but ........I'm just sayin'! I love Kashmir and All My Love along with Stairway.

Elvis. I've always loved a lot of his later songs, but the really early ones are just too 'early' for me. I only have his 30 #1's cd and I really don't listen to it much. But I loved seeing him on tv and there's no question about him being one of the Kings of Rock & Roll.

Chuck Berry-the only song I've bought of his is the Christmas one-Run, Run Rudolph! But what he did for Rock & Roll-he made it! And I always like to hear some of his songs on the radio.

Bob Dylan-don't like his singing at all, but yep, he can write it. I don't own a single cd or song.

So, that's my top five list!

Rolling Stones
    Led Zeppelin
    Elvis Presley
    Chuck Berry
    Bob Dylan
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Mike didn't say would voting would close, so I'm going to reserve my right to change this, if someone should sell me on something different.

LTL's Top Five:

Elvis Presley

Chuck Berry

Jimi Hendrix

Bob Dylan

Janis Joplin

It pained me to cut Zeppelin, but I truly believe the above five were major contributors to their era and all music that came after them.

Aretha Franklin
    Chuck Berry
    Elvis Presley
    Jimi Hendrix
    Rolling Stones

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP2VyquMAaM[/ame]

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

FFL, I like your agruement for the Stones!

Here's my 5 picks. I can cut this down to three, but I swear, I don't know how to narrow that THREE to ONE.

Oh, just a bit of excuse. I didn't include Elvis Presley (oh sacrilege!) I didn't include him because I thought he was as much popularized by his Movies as records. There is no gainsaying his musical contributions, nor his popularity and especially his incidental impact on the Social front. But "musically" alone? I don't know and it was between him and Chuck Berry. The rest...well, there could be only FIVE.

Of that Five, Man is it going to be tough. I can talk my self into ANY of them! I honestly think that it is going to come down to Hendrix and Dylan when it comes to the absolute most significant influence on Music and its Culture.

Dylan for genius with lyrics and poetry and the groundbreaking subject matter of songs. He revolutionized songwriting.

Hendrix: He instructed the world on how guitars and amplifiers and effects pedals could become and would become impossible to omit from Rock and Roll. Plus his genius in the Studio. The Studio became his Second Weapon employed in revolutionizing Popular Music.

Metophorically speaking, Chuck Berry broke the ice. Hendrix and Dylan totally vaporized it. Zep and the Stones came up with new and better ways to condense, refreeze and package it. Music of the Seventies through today would not be what it is today without any of the 5 of these entries.

I would not even think of criticizing anyone selecting any of the other five either (Jackson, Who, Franklin, Joplin and of course Elvis Presley)! They were all MAJOR influences that guided music into what we each have passion for today.

Bob Dylan
    Chuck Berry
    Jimi Hendrix
    Led Zeppelin
    Rolling Stones
    Last edited by MikeA; 07-18-2009 at 06:56 PM.

MikeA

With SEVEN ballots cast, here are the intermediate results. I'll cut off the voting Monday morning at 7am.

With 6 Votes

Chuck Berry
    Elvis Presley
    Jimi Hendrix

With 5 Votes:

Bob Dylan
    Rolling Stones

With 4 Votes

Led Zeppelin

With 1 Vote

Aretha Franklin
    Janis Joplin
    Michael Jackson

MikeA

I would not even think of criticizing anyone selecting any of the other five either (Jackson, Who, Franklin, Joplin and of course Elvis Presley)! They were all MAJOR influences that guided music into what we each have passion for today.
    A Freudian slip, Mike? Don't you mean the Beach Boys and not the Who?
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Hey You can't leave out The Who

Aretha Franklin
    Bob Dylan
    Rolling Stones
    Beach Boys
    Chuck Berry
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Oh my gosh this is hard! I think you could find an argument for each of the remaining artists! However, I'll try to narrow it down to 5!

Elvis Presley - the thing with Elvis is....he revolutionized EVERYTHING! The world about stood still when he died....you don't get that from just any every day artist. I think he set a standard for a lot of artists in the stage show he put on as well. From all his fancy costumes to the way he poured everything out on stage. Also, I think he was one of the first music stars to make it as a movie star as well. I could be wrong, but he's the only one I can actually remember from that time.

Chuck Berry - What can you say that hasn't already been said? The man basically created rock & roll.

Jimi Hendrix - As I said before....of the guitarists who came AFTER him....it might be easier to name those NOT influenced by him than it would be to name those who were. I would be willing to bet that the list would be much shorter of those not. lol Look at John Mayer for instance.

Michael Jackson - The thing is, though I'm not a huge MJ fan....you just can't ignore the impact that he had on music. He was one of the only entertainers to take on Elvis' stage presence and expand on it many times more. I don't know if there would really BE a "pop" music if it hadn't been for Michael Jackson. Let alone the fact that he revolutionized the music video world AND the dance world as well. As with Jimi Hendrix and the guitarists that came after him, it's hard to find an artist in the pop/r&b/hip hop genres these days that wasn't influenced in some way by MJ.

Bob Dylan - Again.....ask many of music's top songwriters who came after Dylan who influenced them......and I guarantee you his name pops up. I've never listened to much of his music because I don't care for his voice. But one cannot deny his incredible lyricism!