Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Band Round #3 the Top-Ten

Default Re: Greatest Band Round #3 the Top-Ten

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_For_Life View Post
    I can understand FP's statement as not being offensive because it would be easy to include him since he passed only a few weeks ago. Michael Jackson is the only artist on my list of whom came of age when I was coming of age. I do feel him to be as influential as Elvis in that he captivated an entire decade or more with his musical style and grace. I do feel confident enough in my musical endeavors to choose fairly among who is who and who is not. Which is why it was a must to include a female on the list. The folks I listed I own only a Bob Marley cd. Not voting just with head but also with heart.

Yes, but one cannot assume one voted for MJ Out of Sentiment, JMHO

I also own a Led Zepplin cd. I know what you mean EagleLady.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, I can certainly see how FP's comments could be perceived as being insensitive and offensive. FP, you may not have directly said that Michael Jackson or The Beach Boys weren’t influential, but when you suggest that the votes they are receiving are based on sentiment, that is clearly the implication. Not only that, but I would totally disagree with your hypotheses. I’m not a huge fan of either, but I don’t see how you can deny these men’s contributions to the world of music, and I think both are totally worthy of being in the Top 10. My understanding is that we are not judging them here on their personal lives.

Also, I don’t understand what the problem is if someone votes with their heart instead of their head. Who among us is to say which is more important? I thought that we had already acknowledged earlier that voting with your heart has it merits. Anyway, here is the list my head and my heart came up with …

Aretha Franklin
    Beach Boys
    Buddy Holly
    Chuck Berry
    Elvis Presley
    Janis Joplin
    Jimi Hendrix
    Led Zeppelin
    Michael Jackson
    Rolling Stones

I have a lot more to say about some of the frontrunners in this “experiment”, but I’m gonna save it for later.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

My top ten didn't include MJ or the BB's. I can tell you why I did vote for MJ earlier though... I did so because he revolutionized the way video's were made. I remember the first time I saw Thriller. OMG, I couldn't get enough ... what was it, like 15 mins long? That is why I voted for him.

As far as crossing racial barriers, that was done first by Chuck Berry. He wrote music for the the masses... and that mass included white teenagers! He knew if he wanted to sell his music he had to appeal to the white kids because they were the ones buying music.

I love, love, love the Beach Boys, but I think those on my list did more for music than the BB's, so that is why I left them off. I can listen to their music for hours, but not sure that made them innovative in any way.

Honestly, I probably don't currently own any music on my top ten list, but at one time I owned a lot of it. Heck, I lived on Buddy Holly and the Beach Boys for about a year in the early 80's. I couldn't get enough of them... but I never replaced my "cassettes" with CD's of those bands. Same w/Zeppelin. I had most of their music on cassettes, if not all of it, but never replaced it on CD... and today, I'm not sure it's my taste any longer. I'm not a Dylan fan, but who can deny that he changed how lyrics are written? I guess I'm saying, I think people are voting true to their beliefs, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    My top ten didn't include MJ or the BB's. I can tell you why I did vote for MJ earlier though... I did so because he revolutionized the way video's were made. I remember the first time I saw Thriller. OMG, I couldn't get enough ... what was it, like 15 mins long? That is why I voted for him.

As far as crossing racial barriers, that was done first by Chuck Berry. He wrote music for the the masses... and that mass included white teenagers! He knew if he wanted to sell his music he had to appeal to the white kids because they were the ones buying music.

I love, love, love the Beach Boys, but I think those on my list did more for music than the BB's, so that is why I left them off. I can listen to their music for hours, but not sure that made them innovative in any way.

Honestly, I probably don't currently own any music on my top ten list, but at one time I owned a lot of it. Heck, I lived on Buddy Holly and the Beach Boys for about a year in the early 80's. I couldn't get enough of them... but I never replaced my "cassettes" with CD's of those bands. Same w/Zeppelin. I had most of their music on cassettes, if not all of it, but never replaced it on CD... and today, I'm not sure it's my taste any longer. I'm not a Dylan fan, but who can deny that he changed how lyrics are written? I guess I'm saying, I think people are voting true to their beliefs, that's all.

I was talking about MJ Being the first Black person to be played on MTV. NOT what Chuck Berry did before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    I was talking about MJ Being the first Black person to be played on MTV. NOT what Chuck Berry did before hand.
    In all fairness, MTV didn't begin until 1981 (way after segregation) ... and MJ was popular then, so of course he was on. I don't think him being on MTV was a big deal. They played several black artists. Actually, Michael was not the first black person on MTV. He had videos in heavy rotation, but Tina Turner and Eddie Grant were on before MJ. Not to mention, one of the original VJ's was also black.

The main trivia everyone should remember is about MTV is the first video played... Video Killed the Radio Star.

This contest has been really fun for me. It's made me listen to things I haven't bothered to listen to in years. Now, I'm not a Janis Joplin fan, but let's face it, she paved the way for woman rockers to come.

I've been listening to some of her songs on youtube and I just can't get into her, as she's too bluesy for my liking... However, I have always loved Me and Bobby McGee. When I hear her sing it, I actually tear up. I will give her credit that she really put her heart and soul in her singing.

I listened to others versions of this song as well, but I have to say Janis' is my favorite version. I wish I liked her style more... perhaps I'll try listening to more and see if anything grabs me.

Wow.....well I've been kind of missing in action so I was absent for the first few rounds here. Hopefully you guys don't mind me jumping in on the action. It's been an interesting bunch of pages to read!

My 10 choices for most popular/influential/best/etc etc....

Elvis Presley
    Beach Boys
    Chuck Berry
    Michael Jackson
    Led Zeppelin
    Rolling Stones

Bob Marley
    Aretha Franklin
    Jimi Hendrix

Janis Joplin

The first 4 were easy and after that it became a little harder. And no....none were based on sentimentality. I'm a fan of Elvis and Aretha and that's about it. But there's no denying the influence done by the Beach boys with the surf sound/harmonies, Chuck Berry was incredibly influential on a lot of styles of music, Michael Jackson changed pop music/dance/video's forever, Led Zep & Rollings Stones created their own brands of rock & roll, Bob Marley is the only reggae artist that I think the whole world knows, Aretha....c'mon....she's Aretha(!), Jimi Hendrix cannot be denied as an influence on any current guitarist, and Janis Joplin made it possible for women to be "rock stars" too!

I had a SUPER hard time leaving out both Fleetwood Mac AND Eric Clapton. If I went on who I personally liked the most and viewed as influential to ME....FM would definently be there. And EC is named all the time by today's artists as influence both as a songwriter and guitarist.

Voting for Top-Ten is Closed.

MikeA

Here is your Top-Ten

With 11 votes

Elvis Presley
    Rolling Stones

With 10 votes

Led Zeppelin

With 9 votes

Chuck Berry