Chuck Berry
    Elvis Presley
    Janis Joplin
    Jimi Hendrix
    Led Zeppelin
    Rolling Stones
    WHO

Default Re: Greatest Band Round #3 the Top-Ten

Interesting results but not surprising. Of course, there is almost 24 hours before we close the Top Ten voting, but for now the following. The "bold" entries are the current "top ten". Those with 3 votes are tied for last place.

I have no idea how in the world I'm going to be able to pick ONE out of "my" top 5 nor now to even rank them. It isn't even going to be easy cutting my own list to 5 groups! I'm sort of hoping that some of my top 5 will be eliminated in this or the next round just to make it easier.

Rolling Stones 7

Elvis Presley 6
    Led Zeppelin 6

Bob Dylan 5
    Jimi Hendrix 5

Aretha Franklin 4
    Beach Boys 4
    Chuck Berry 4
    Michael Jackson 4

Buddy Holly 3
    CSNY 3
    Janis Joplin 3
    WHO 3

Byrds 2
    Pink Floyd 2

BB King 1
    Bob Marley 1
    Bruce Springsteen 1
    CCR 1
    Doors 1
    Fleetwood Mac 1
    Joni Mitchell 1
    Queen 1
    Supremes 1

MikeA

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Beach Boys
    Bob Dylan
    Byrds
    Chuck Berry
    CSNY
    Elvis Presley
    Jimi Hendrix
    Led Zeppelin
    Michael Jackson
    Rolling Stones
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Wow-The Stones leading all votes so far! That's kind of surprising I think! I wonder why that would be. I mean I have them on my list also but I'm kinda suprised so many others do also! I really figured at this point it would be Elvis in the lead for some reason.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Wow-The Stones leading all votes so far! That's kind of surprising I think! I wonder why that would be. I mean I have them on my list also but I'm kinda suprised so many others do also! I really figured at this point it would be Elvis in the lead for some reason.
    A bit surprised myself, but not all that much. While I think there are 3 or 4 contestants who actually contributed more, when you figure in popularity, the Stones carry a LOT of weight!

Elvis was not the focus of POP or ROCK in the Seventies really, though he did have a huge following. He just wasn't known well for innovation though that was an invalid attitude about him. His style was his innovation and he did it so well that the masses fell in love with him and accepted his style without even thinking about it being something no one else was doing.

The Stones on the other hand, have been around since the early '60s and gained popularity as the "Bad Boys" and being part of the increasingly popular British Invasion, and because of that, drew a lot more attention, especially as the Seventies rolled around. And, they deserve it too. I think I already have posted my thoughts on the Stones. They are not my #1 group though they are definitely in my top 5.

I am resigned to not seeing my pick make it as #1. And that's okay. When it gets down to the crunch, too many factors come into play in the selection process and not everyone puts the same emphasis on the various criteria.

But what this exercise (I know not what else to call it) has done is prompt everyone to take a look at artists that possibly they have paid little attention to in the past and at least recognize what they brought into the evolving Music Culture of the past 50 years! The purpose has been accomplished regardless of the end result. I just hate to see the very gutsy chances the pioneers took go unrecognized...forgotten about. Many other subsequent groups rose above them in popularity, but they got there by building on that which someone else laid the foundation for.

Think where Hendrix would be if he had a voice like Elvis or Don Henley <LOL>
    Last edited by MikeA; 07-17-2009 at 05:22 PM.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    I'm not much of a Stones fan, but I gave them a nod for their longevity. Really, I don't care for many top contenders left on the list musically. For my listening pleasure, I'd have to go Holly, CSNY, Beach Boys and Who... with an occassional ear lent to Zeppelin.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

That seems to be a general consensus in this. We all kinda say the same thing, we don't care much for some of the music of the finalist (me included) but yet they are on our lists and we feel that they are the biggest contributors to music. Does that mean we are in the minority as far as what we all listen to or is it even tho these guys contributed the most, no one really cares for their music? Does that make sense? I just find it strange I guess.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

I'm not sure. I think if would be interesting if we had a contest for "our" favorite band/musician. I like some music just because it sounds good, not because the artist did anything but sing well and have some good sounds backing it up. Let's face it, the Goo Goo Dolls were hardly groundbreaking... but oh to hear Johnny sing... "scars are souvenirs you never lose"... that's what I like!

Beach Boys
    Bob Dylan
    Buddy Holly
    Byrds
    Chuck Berry
    Elvis Presley
    Eric Clapton
    Jimi Hendrix
    Michael Jackson
    Queen
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I want the people who made comments about these artists to know that it did help me a little with my vote.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.