Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Band Round #2 Top Twenty

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Greatest Band Round #2 Top Twenty

I'm starting to feel a wee bit guilty that I didn't include the Dead this round. I just have never gotten it!! I admit, I've never see them live, tho I've had several chances that I didn't take, and have been told that's when you understand. I actually had them in the top 25 but eliminated them in the end.
    Side note: We have a friend that is a HUGE Deadhead and some how over the years has gotten his hands on almost 100 bootlegs that date back as far as the 60's, all on cassette. One day a couple years ago, he showed up at our house and gave them to our son (who loves GD). He has 3 boys of his own but they hate rock music and he said he knew Dillon appreciated music, liked the Dead and he wanted someone to have them that would keep them and appreciate them. I don't believe Dillon has ever played them because he's afraid to. His goal is to get them transferred to cd and put the originals away for safe keeping.

BTW---You all should vote for
    LED ZEPPELIN
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I'm not particularly proud of this selection. Each elimination hurts.

Alman Bros
    Aretha Franklin
    BB King
    Beach Boys
    Bob Dylan
    Bob Marley
    Bruce Springsteen
    Buddy Holly
    Chuck Berry
    Elton John
    Elvis Presley
    Eric Clapton
    Grateful Dead
    Janis Joplin
    Jimi Hendrix
    Joni Mitchell
    Led Zeppelin
    Rolling Stones
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    WHO

MikeA

The front runners are not surprising. About what I expected and no real disappointments. We have 11 participants voting I think and all 11 are in. I'll still wait until tomorrow morning bright and early to announce the finalists.

Hendrix,
    Stones,
    Dylan,
    Led Zep

Following closely is

Chuck Berry,
    Elvis,

And then

WHO
    Michael Jackson
    Beach Boys
    BB King
    Aretha Franklin

MikeA

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Mike-

I've made ONE change to my list. Heck, you sold me on John Mayall, but if even he doesn't make your cut, I'm taking him off of mine! I am taking out Mayall and adding Buddy Holly. I changed it on my list, but wanted to call it to your attention.

Mike, you and I have 75% of the same bands! I haven't compared my list to others, but yours looked so familiar... now I know why!

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    Mike-

I've made ONE change to my list. Heck, you sold me on John Mayall, but if even he doesn't make your cut, I'm taking him off of mine! I am taking out Mayall and adding Buddy Holly. I changed it on my list, but wanted to call it to your attention.

Mike, you and I have 75% of the same bands! I haven't compared my list to others, but yours looked so familiar... now I know why!
    Okay LTLH.....I've updated my master list that I've been updating for our Top Twenty.

I don't apologize much for lobbying for Mayall. I mean, his contribution was significant. Very significant. But it was not all that "original" after I started thinking about it and he did not have the popularity to include him based strictly on that. And when compared to the others, he just didn't measure up in my humble opinion.

I haven't said anything about Elvis. I didn't particularly like him myself. I preferred the music of Ricky Nelson who I always thought of as "the Other" major player of the 50's and early 60's. But that is all beside the point.

Elvis made a contribution to MUSIC that has to be as significant as that made by the Beatles. He rose to FAME during a very ugly time in American History. There was a huge racial rift and riots were commonplace where I grew up in Arkansas. It was a time of people trying to break seemingly unbreakable barriers and Civil Rights leaders were beginning to really force a huge social change.

Elvis Presley contributed as much to the eventual success of that movement as did any of the Proponents of the cause and absolutely more than resulted from the riots.

Elvis erased the barriers by combining virtually all genres of music into his style....Gospel, Country, the fledgling Rock and Roll, and Blues. And he did it so that White folks really listened to his music almost religiously. This I think did more to make possible the Integration of the American Population as did anything.

It doesn't make a damn bit of difference whether I "liked" Elvis or not, his impact on music was revolutionary both socially and in the influence on the growing movement toward what would become Rock & Roll. He just blurred the lines defining all genres and just as importantly, on all RACES!

He is a Hero in more ways than one.

MikeA

The way is stands right now, and all previous voters have submitted their picks already, the following will have made the cut. Note that we have 24 in our Top Twenty since there was a 6-way tie for last position.

I emphasize that this might change slightly but I do not expect it to change. I'll still post the official top-twenty in the morning.

Bob Dylan
    Jimi Hendrix
    Led Zeppelin
    Rolling Stones
    Chuck Berry
    Elvis Presley
    Aretha Franklin
    BB King
    Beach Boys
    Michael Jackson
    WHO
    Buddy Holly
    Eric Clapton
    CSNY
    Janis Joplin
    Bruce Springsteen
    Doors
    Pink Floyd
    Bob Marley
    Byrds
    CCR
    Elton John
    Grateful Dead
    Joni Mitchell

Those NOT making the cut are below. Note that those with the "*" are only one vote off from being in that tie for last position.

* Allman Bros
    * Cream
    * Fleetwood Mac
    * Queen
    * Simon & Garfunkel
    * Supremes
    Aerosmith
    Bee Gees
    David Bowie
    Heart
    John Mayall's Bluesbreakers*
    Madonna
    Prince
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    Stevie Wonder
    Little Richard
    Lynyrd Skynyrd

MikeA

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

It's not something I publicly admit to, but I'm not a big Elvis or Stones fan.

Just not "my" taste in music.

I wish others would jump in and cast votes too. Perhaps the first list was too overwhelming, but now that it's halved, I would nice if others cast votes too!

I agree. It was an ambitious undertaking and I applaud everyone who has participated for the thought and research obviously performed!

And I would like to see more Borderers jump in and help narrow it down. I can't even imagine how we are going to get past the top-ten. In the end, I suspect that we are going to have a tie for top honors.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Well I for one will not apologize for voting for The Bluesbreakers! There's hardly a Saturday night vinyl get together where someone doesn't pull out the Bluesbreaker album and put it on. It usually sparks some conversation and many a time someone has had to go get the cover so that we can read who's on which song etc...

As far as Elvis, he's on my list but not because I ever was a fan! No one can dispute the legend he was and what he contributed, but I willingly admit, I've never been a fan.

Another one that looks like they won't make the cut this time that surprises me is Prince. I really thought he might do better. I was a HUGE fans of his in the 80's and still like him. He pretty much has written all his own material and the man plays something like 21 instruments, most of which were self taught. That's truly amazing!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Eva...Sorry...I went back and looked and didn't see anything. But I'm using "One Of These Nights" skin for the Forum here and your text was black against a black background. I couldn't see it until I Highlighted it.

There have been a few other posts with lists casting votes but I think I caught all of them. I don't know why your posts tend to have a font color that blends so well with the background.
    Whew...that explains it! I thought you were being aw-fully picky after what I thought was a reasonable argument, given the limited time I have available in my life at the moment!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...