Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Band Round #2 Top Twenty

Default Re: Greatest Band Round #2 Top Twenty

I'll put in a plug for "Allman Brothers"...or at least Dwayne Allman. Virtually no guitar player of modern times fails to credit Dwayne Allman for giving them the slide guitar technique on electric 6-stringed instruments.

With alternate tunings and that slide...think about all who followed by using that technique. So much so that the slide enters the equation on so much music today that it has to be classed as a "staple". Clapton learned it from Dwayne as did Joe Walsh. Look at what Keith Richards has done with open tunings both with and without a slide. Nearly all of that is attributed to Dwayne Allman!

Something to think about!

As for the group, they are generally associated with the beginnings of Southern Rock as a genre. They didn't originate it necessarily, but they really gave it mass appeal.

MikeA

Bruce Springsteen

When I think of "The Boss" (or the Doctor), I think immediately of lyrics that portray life in America or protest songs reminiscent of CSNY or Woody and Arlo Guthery and maybe Peter Paul and Mary. Most of Springsteen's songs (and he is a very prolific songwriter!) are "significant" and not just "fun" songs though he wrote a lot of those too.

I guess I would have to say that in addition to being an American Icon, Springsteen would have to be synonymous with the thought of bringing musical lyrics back to the issues being dealt with by those in the country he is obviously so dedicated to. He, more than most artists of the times, wrote and performed about really difficult and sometimes unpopular issues...Nuclear Power, treatment (or mis-treatment) of Viet Nam soldiers.

That rejection of those who served in the military during an unpopular "Police Action" (don't get me on a soapbox!) is very puzzling to me. Those guys for the most part were conscripted (i.e. DRAFTED) and were given no choice in what they were doing in Nam. Yet when they returned, they were physically attacked in the worst scenarios and ridiculed by the ones who dodged the draft.

Okay, I got one foot on the soapbox after all. I didn't mean to.

Springsteen is one who HAS to be considered because of his influence on Society. He brought hard issues to the attention of the public and became incredibly popular as a result...or maybe IN SPITE of the controversial issues he wrote and sang about.

He didn't fit into a specific "genre" of music. He pretty much either made up his own feel for the music or chose whichever genre best conveyed the sound bouncing around in his head while composing the songs. A very unique individual whom I have a difficult time evaluating in terms of the perspectives I'm trying to use to pick the most "influential" in the industry.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Looking at this list, wow, it's amazing how many of these artists spawned out of the late 60's early 70's. What would music be like if 65-75 hadn't had all these amazing people? What would our music today sound like. Wait, I know what some of today's music sounds like and it's not good! I think there is a reason I'm drawn to this era of music, it was great!

Boy, there are a lot of guitarist on this list!
    Last edited by luvthelighthouse; 07-14-2009 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]
    Boy, there are a lot of guitarist on this list!
    I don't think that is cooincidental LTLH. It was pretty much the development of the electronics that eliminated all the feedback and interference that mic'd guitars produced and the huge advances in amplification that made it possible for groups to center on the guitar instead of keyboards as the "lead or melodic instrument". There are exceptions like "Yes" and a few others that stuck with synthesizers and the rock solid Hammond Organ for lead, but for the most part, it was the introduction of a practical guitar and the pioneers who took that instrument and wrung it dry to define the sound of "modern music".

From that standpoint, Les Paul and Leo Fender maybe should have been included on the list of most influential people in Music! Without these two inventors of the solid body guitar and electronics that DID NOT produce unwanted noise, we wouldn't have the "sound" we have come to rely upon!

Les Paul however didn't stop with developing pickups that gave clean sound and a solid body guitar which introduced Sustain unheard earlier, but he also developed revolutionary 8 track recording!

I'm attaching a pic of the original Rock Instrument, "The Log". It looks like what we think of as a guitar, but the "wings" were added ONLY for cosmetic appearance. Basically it was a 4x4 block of wood with a guitar neck!

Fender beat Les Paul into production because Gibson didn't think it was practical! They claimed that since it was solid, artists would have to lug both the LOG and an acoustic to performances.

I'm also sticking in a picture of the Fender Broadcaster...the first solid body guitar ever to be mass produced. Sure looks like a Telecaster doesn't it! No surprise, Gretch pointed out that "Broadcaster" was a model name they used on a set of drums at some point in time. Fender removed the "broad" from the name and those sold after the claims by Gretch were called "No-Casters". Later, one of the marketing people at Fender renamed it the "Telecaster".

I've attached a pic of the Fender here as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MikeA; 07-14-2009 at 12:47 PM.

MikeA

I'm REALLY having trouble cutting that list of 40 down to 20!

MikeA

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I'm REALLY having trouble cutting that list of 40 down to 20!
    Me too! I thought it would easier than it is! I think some subjectivity is creeping in... although, there are some that must remain on the list for now. Next round is going to be super hard!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Not quite ready yet, but getting there. But I wanted to share something with all of you. I've got my list narrowed to about 25 or so and wanted to check a couple of things & know how I was stacking up to maybe some "official" list I could find on the internet. In doing my research (yes Mike, I'm doing my homework!!), I found this article that was published in 2004 by Rolling Stone Magazine. I'm doing pretty darn good as are most of us from the looks of it! I won't actually post the list but the link to the article (since it's out there for anyone who is willing to look for it anyways). This is not to persuade anyone! (Mike -if you think I shouldn't have posted this because it might wreck havoc with our official Border results---please don't hesitate to tell me to delete it!).

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...he_first_fifty
    He sings it high, he plays it low

By all means...any resources such as you found Willie are very helpful. Certainly, whatever Rolling Stone published, while not "official" is certainly thought highly of by most people.

It is a bit gratifying that our list corresponds so closely to theirs. It did point out some that never showed up on our list and that is a bit embarrassing to me. I should have thought of Ray Charles! And, The Band. And I think I've already expressed regret of not remembering Bo Diddley!

MikeA

I am extremely stressed out (and embarrassed) that we left off the original list such artist as Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, The Band and Muddy Watters to name a few. But I also need to say that Rolling Stone Mag. placed the Eagles at #75--So what do they know anyways!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

My top 20:

BB King
    Bob Dylan
    Led Zeppelin
    Aretha Franklin
    Doors
    Michael Jackson
    Beach Boys
    Pink Floyd