Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Band Round #1

Default Re: Greatest Band Round #1

The omission of Robert Johnson in the top 40 surprised me too Willie.

BB King made it but Johnson was the real driving factor as far as the Musicians who were establishing the "new genre" of Rock back in the 60's were concerned.

King had success though, and his "name" is better known but he himself admits that he isn't a "great musician". What King has and has always had is a talent for Popularizing the Blues to the masses and is known as the Blues Ambassador. He is deserving of the votes he got from that perspective.

As we move into the next round, if there is someone in the lower echelons (or the higher ones!) now would be the time to "sell" them. And by the same token, if there is a group or individual in the top ranks that you do not think should be there, point that out and why you think that important to be considered.

Also, I am OPEN to suggestions as to how the next round should proceed. Should we cut it to the Top Twenty? More? Less?

MikeA

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

I'm actually upset over two that didn't make the cut for a good reason.

Two bands on that list actually started a movement and they didn't make top 40... and that is just wrong! If you influence a whole movement, you obviously had a huge musical influence.

The Ramones were the first Punk band! (granted Stooges fans may disagree) They started the whole punk phase that still today hasn't died! Even Billy Joe Armstrong (Green Day) cites Johnny Ramone as being one of his biggest influences.

Also, I am not a fan, but Nirvana started the Grunge movement. They pretty much single handly took down all the hair bands and started a whole new sound and look to music. We went from big hair, make up and spandex to t-shirts w/flannels wrapped around their waist w/cargo pants. The dirty look was born again. The sound of music changed in the early 90's. It reminds me of something Sabastian Bach said, (sorry, don't have the direct quote) paraphrasing, "I thought Skid Row had finally made it and along comes Nirvana and I knew we were done".

I'm sorry, but to leave off The Ramones and Nirvana is criminal as they were MAJOR contributers to the music industry. I almost feel cheated that the rules weren't followed, because if they were, there is no way these two bands would have been omitted.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

LTLH-I respect your theories but I need to add a couple things.

Punk---I agree the Ramones were very big in Punk and instrumental with bringing it to the attention of the American youth, but I think Iggy Pop & The Stooges would dispute the fact that they started it. And how about MC5 and Velvet Underground. I remember reading once that Joey Ramone said that the Ramones actually took different aspects from these bands and created their sound.

Grunge---Again, agree that Nirvana was instrumental but I don't feel they were any more instrumental than bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden & Stone Temple Pilots. And I have heard often that Kurt Cobain said they had always thought of Neil Young as the godfather of Grunge.

Yes they were major contributors but I understand why they didn't make the cut. JMHO.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Maybe I shouldn't be playing. My knowledge of these bands is nonexistant!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Here's the thing, I think everyone is influenced by someone else... but when you are the First band to create a genre, you deserve recognition for it.

I don't disagee that Pearl Jam and STP were great bands, but they weren't the first band of Grunge. Nirvana has always been credited the first band of Grunge, no matter their influences.

Also, I stated during the nomination process, Velvet Underground was not Punk, even if they did influence the Ramones. As for Iggy Pop... I kinda look at him like this... he may have been a founding father but he didn't create the genre of mass appeal that the Ramones did.

It's similiar to calling the Eagles the first country rock band. They created the mass appeal of the genre, but those who really were the founding fathers never get the credit they deserve, ie: The Byrds, Richie Furay, Gram Parsons etc. To most, the Eagles would be considered the first country rock band, even though they weren't.

I think the next few rounds could get heated! Obviously, if we are on this board, we take our music to a passionate level!

I cannot justify NOT including either Ramones or Nirvana. I have to plead ignorance as I have not been a big fan of either Grunge or Punk. I did include Neil Young, but I have to admit that it was his involvement with CSN that brought him to mind.

We, and I include MYSELF specifically, will have to do a better job of "selling" our top selections. Especially those who I think should be "finalists" in this selection. I only hope that we can come to consensus final picks.

To be honest, I didn't think that we would eliminate major players in the first round.

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    I think the next few rounds could get heated! Obviously, if we are on this board, we take our music to a passionate level!
    Ya THINK? LOL

I've read quite a bit about Laurel Canyon and the things that were going on there while the Eagles were groping for a way to develop their sound. Poco was really trying to get "Country Rock" defined but just never quite got there. I don't know if that was specifically WHAT the Eagles were consciously trying to get to, but it was as you stated LTLH, the Eagles who ended up making a successful blend of Country and Rock.

Now that we are trimming the list, it is going to get small enough that we can make more intelligent decision through research before committing to vote our selections. With 82 bands, it was just too overwhelming to consider reading up on each one. And, the thing is, their influence may not be apparent from just reading the Wikipedia statements about the band.

We are bound to make mistakes. Maybe BIG ONES. But the good that will come out of this ultimately, is that even with the mistakes we make, we are going to learn something from the exercise! I already have thanks to LTLH.

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Maybe I shouldn't be playing. My knowledge of these bands is nonexistant!
    No way Cathy! In the process of participating, you will gain more knowledge of groups and genres that you didn't have previously. That in itself is worthy of the effort.

No one here that I am aware of is any kind of authority on something as ambitious as what we've undertaken. I am just tickled pink that 11 people have stuck their necks out to generate a cut line, not to mention everyone who participated in the original nominations.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    We, and I include MYSELF specifically, will have to do a better job of "selling" our top selections.
    VOTE FOR LED ZEPPELIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How's that?

PM---You better play!!!! It's gonna get fun!! I almost guarantee you that you will find a new artist to start listening to that you never gave a chance before. Remember how you rediscovered Cat Stevens? Maybe you'll get the chance again, to rediscover something/someone you had forgotten about!

One more thing for consideration--should we take a vote to see if we can add James Brown? I know we can't but I'm still feeling really GUILTY about that!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

VOTE FOR JIMI HENDRIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeA