Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SECOND Greatest Band of all Time

Default Re: SECOND Greatest Band of all Time

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    I can see I'm going to have a hard time with this... hardly any of my favorites are on the list, but I don't feel right nominating them because they were not innovative.

For example, some of my faves are Journey, Boston, Kansas, REO Speedwagon and Head East. Some of those bands probably got their sound from Yes, but I don't like Yes - I like these others better!
    Actually, I love a lot of your faves...Journey, Boston...and I also liked Kansas and REO back in the day (not as much now, but still, I hear where you are coming from!)
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Stuck on the Border

I can't wait to see how you're going to narrow this down. I need to mention the great Stevie Wonder, as well as Pink Floyd.

dolly parton, aretha franklin ,lionel richie and roxty music with bryan ferry.

even modern coutry shania twain is brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I like FM too....a LOT. What we need though is "something" that Fleetwood Mac contributed (besides a new song <smile>)that really impacted the music scene by introducing or becoming something that set them apart from the rest of the bands. Something attributed the "Them" alone...like the Eagles breaking the genre of Country Rock.
    Perhaps Fleetwood Mac as a group weren't influential on the music scene, as far as bringing anything new to the table. Stevie Nicks I believe her unique voice and style made a huge impact for many women singers. If it wasn't for her I don't believe Cher or Pat Benatar or Joan Jett would've had the success they had.

No one ever said this was going to be "easy". It will generate a lot of debate I'm sure simply because everyone has Favs! I do too. But I am committed to remaining OBJECTIVE about it (right, like you can remain objective when it comes to MUSIC which is one of the most emotional aspects of OUR LIVES!)

Just keep in mine that we are very privileged to have a place to associate here on The Border where we all are as adamant about our Music as anyone anywhere. Not everyone cares that much for music and trying to discuss anything concerning the art with one of those who are nonchalant about it makes having The Border to let our hair down is truly is a privilege.

I'm probably not going to be able to do much with the topic here today. We had one HELL of a storm come through last night and we have big tree limbs down and others broken off and still up in the trees ready to fall and hit someone! Our swimming pool was almost overflowing from the rain and hail and it was full of leaves too. Here's a link to some pictures I took this morning after the storm.

http://mvabercrombie.net/abercrombie...708_storm.html

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    (right, like you can remain objective when it comes to MUSIC which is one of the most emotional aspects of OUR LIVES!)
    What a great way of putting it, "emotional aspect". I really like that I believe it sums up music for me pretty good.

WOW-some storm!! Those poor trees and your pool. Looks like you have some cleanup ahead of you. Good luck!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Yikes, Mike! Your thoughts about climbing the tree with the chainsaw went through my hubbies mind a couple weeks ago at our house! He survived!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I'll try to get in here tonight and "close the nominations" and start trying to put it together for our scrutiny.

I know there are some in posts last night and this morning that I'll need to add to the list. I'll see how many there are and then see if we can start whittling it down. Have to see how many are on the list before deciding how many to cut each go-round.

It might be easiest to cut it to maybe the top ten or twenty before really getting in there and putting on the battle armor. I can see there being a day or maybe two between eliminations to give time to present cases for keeping or eliminating bands. But like I said, we'll have to narrow the list down considerably before really getting into it else this thing could drag out forever.

I suggest that we all start gathering "data" on the bands we favor. Not just records sold, but also documented specifics as to what bands or artists considered them an influence on the type music they (the chosen) have elected to record. Also significant, would be what inovations they made either instrumentally or in the studio as well as stage presentations or anything "new" that might have come about because of their success.

Especially significant would be any band who introduced something new to Music itself...such as a new or recognizably different genre.

Be thinking about it. In the end, it is going to be a very tight race!

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by scottishlass View Post
    dolly parton, aretha franklin ,lionel richie and roxty music with bryan ferry.

even modern coutry shania twain is brilliant.
    Ain't Nuthin' wrong with Shania Twain...and THAT'S OFFICIAL

I've bought (or was given) two of her CDS. I have no idea what the songs were, but there were GREAT pictures of her on the cover!

MikeA

Stuck on the Border

Can I just say something about Dire Straits.

They proved in the age of punk/new wave and overt political grandstanding that it was still possible to write songs with melodies, interesting lyrics and accomplished instrumentation, and be successful. (The Police did the same, I suppose, but they always seemed closer to New Wave). Knopfler's brilliant guitar playing must have been an influence on some guitarists at least. The video for Money For Nothing set new standards in the way the medium could be used.