Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SECOND Greatest Band of all Time

Default Re: SECOND Greatest Band of all Time

I use one factor to determine my decision: whose music I enjoy the most.

The second greatest band of all time is...

FLEETWOOD MAC!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I use one factor to determine my decision: whose music I enjoy the most.

The second greatest band of all time is...

FLEETWOOD MAC!
    I like FM too....a LOT. What we need though is "something" that Fleetwood Mac contributed (besides a new song <smile>)that really impacted the music scene by introducing or becoming something that set them apart from the rest of the bands. Something attributed the "Them" alone...like the Eagles breaking the genre of Country Rock.

I'm not saying Fleetwood Mac didn't provide Inovation nor that they were NOT an Influence. I haven't researched them that deeply to know what (besides good music!) they might have contributed. I know Peter Green was with them and came out of John Mayal's Bluesbreaker group.

The "Who" for busting guitars on stage <LOL> or introducing the "Rock Opera". No, not "Tommy". That happened in 1969. Townshend recorded a 10 minute "opera" called "A Quick One While He's Away" released on their second album in 1966 and called it "Rock Opera" and probably was responsible for the phrase. But it was the first recorded material labeled "Rock Opera".

Nivarna (not "The" Nirvana) in 1967 released a full album along the "Rock Opera" theme. They were the true "first" to stick with it through a complete album.

Something besides just good music that might have been very popular and yet nothing really "new". Looking for groups that had a tremendous impact on the industry or influenced a large number of bands that followed them and patterned themselves after that group. Something like Jimi Hendrix who successfully started the Power Trio configuration that was followed later by the likes of Cream, Stevie Ray Vaughan and yes, The James Gang.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

I know you are going to close the suggestion box... and we'll be getting down to business soon. I have two suggestions:

1) Let's omit the solo artists

or

2) Break it into solo artists and bands

I'm not sure it's comparing apples to apples if we put both catagories up against each other.

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    I know you are going to close the suggestion box... and we'll be getting down to business soon. I have two suggestions:

1) Let's omit the solo artists

or

2) Break it into solo artists and bands

I'm not sure it's comparing apples to apples if we put both catagories up against each other.

Hmmmmm....Would we eliminate Hendrix? I guess technically, he could be left on the list as Jimi Hendrix and the Experience, but it's really Jimi that was the innovator. Janis Joplin is the same. List her with Big Brother And The Holding Company though Big Brother sure wasn't much <LOL>. Same with Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble. It was Stevie Ray who was the driver.

How about Buddy Holly: <quote from Wikipedia>

Holly is described by critic Bruce Eder as "the single most influential creative force in early rock and roll."[1] His works and innovations inspired and influenced both his contemporaries and later musicians, notably The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Rolling Stones, and Bob Dylan,[2] and exerted a profound influence on popular music.

All of the above influenced later BANDS greatly as can be seen by the quote on Buddy Holly.

But then, I guess EVERY band or musician had someone who influenced them. We can decide this when we close the nominations. It's going to be an almost impossible goal for me to come up with a clear-cut "winner" in my own mind, let alone getting a consensus here on The Border.

MikeA

I'll throw a few in:

Def Leppard (Photograph/ Hysteria)
    Run DMC(Rap)
    P.O.D. (Rapcore/metal/rastafari)
    Megadeth(IMO stayed truer to the metal sound than Metallica)
    Alice Cooper(make-up and morbid theatrics)
    Last edited by Fan_For_Life; 07-09-2009 at 07:24 AM.

I can see I'm going to have a hard time with this... hardly any of my favorites are on the list, but I don't feel right nominating them because they were not innovative.

For example, some of my faves are Journey, Boston, Kansas, REO Speedwagon and Head East. Some of those bands probably got their sound from Yes, but I don't like Yes - I like these others better!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

PM, that's the thing, what makes a band great? Them being innovators, or them making great music, or both?

Let's be honest, a great band is one you like. One you associate with. One you feel.

There are several bands I like, but I know they aren't even close to being "great". For example, I happen to like Blink182 and Sublime... but not even close to them being great. I enjoy Bon Jovi and most 80's hairbands, but again, not great... oh, oh...wait... maybe Motley Crue... they could be in the greatest category.

Motley Crue over Bon Jovi? No Way! Bon Jovi has survived longer

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    Motley Crue over Bon Jovi? No Way! Bon Jovi has survived longer
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Bon Jovi. Back in the 80's I saw them numerous times, the first band I ever crossed state line to see. Back when it was the only way to get good seat, I slept out (in the Chicago winter) to get tickets. (For those not familiar w/sleeping out... you spend the night outside waiting for the ticket window to open in the morning!) However, I honestly believe Crue are better musicians.

I remember the days (or I guess nights) of sleeping out for concert tickets very well!! The next step up in ticket sales evolution was the wristband, remember? HA! These young 'uns don't know how cushy they have it! Oh, I guess we do too, now, huh...
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...