Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SECOND Greatest Band of all Time

Default Re: SECOND Greatest Band of all Time

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Like punk Mike---The Clash---you never heard of them before? WOW!!! They were all over MTV in the 80's, so that really surprised me.

Oh hell, I'll just say it now---I intend to vote for Zeppelin in the end
    That's what I like...OBJECTIVITY <crackin' up here LOL>

It's going to be difficult for me also and I don't have a clue as to how I will be able to come up with anything with out Subjectivity creeping in. Maybe I'll just go play golf <LOL>

I was never big on MTV. I was so burned with the desolution of Eagles by the 80's that I pretty much ignored the Rock scene. Heck, I even tried to listen to Country for a while but could never really develop an appreciation for it. I'd reverted to "Oldies but Goodies". So all of that "Punk" splash just washed on by me unnoticed. All of the head bangin', mad "I'm gonna Kill myself or someone else" just didn't do it for me and whether that perception of their music was right or not, it turned me off. I didn't even appreciate Metalica at the time.

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    There are artists who have been mentioned that I have never owned any works of theirs, yet I reluctantly in some cases, acknowledge that they did have an impact on the music scene either with Influence on other Artists, Influence on the Industry or in Popularity with those who love music.
    That's my dilemma here. I have never owned any works of the majority of artists on the list, so how am I to know how they have influenced music? Am I not, in the end, simply going to pick my personal favorite?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Let's be honest here... of course most polls etc are subjective. No matter what, it should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    That's my dilemma here. I have never owned any works of the majority of artists on the list, so how am I to know how they have influenced music? Am I not, in the end, simply going to pick my personal favorite?
    Probably that is what most are going to do. I myself, am going to look back at the books I've read on various artists, Google the artists, and see if I can gather something other than record sales to use as information to form an opinion about.

Most artists and bands have had some sort of impact on the Scene. The question becomes how significant an impact did they have.

Look at the Eagles as an example. They pretty much created a genre with "Country Rock". They along with agents and managers, pretty much redefined ticket prices (raising them to the sky because they COULD.) They brough vocal harmonies to Rock Music like few other groups...CSNY and Mamas and Papas were standouts in this also. They really made the Ballad something it wasn't before. Before it was more or less Folk or Folk Rock and the Eagles took Ballads to another level. The Eagles more than any other Band, redefined stage performances by meticuluously recreating each song so that it was Identical to the recording (that has it's plus and minus attributes in my opinion) which at the very least eliminated any surprises at concerts.

I'm not even going into what the Beatles did. But they were very unique. They changed not only the Music Scene itself, but the culture of an entire generation of humanity! Everything from political awareness to the way we dressed and cut our hair (or didn't cut it!)

Now, with that type thing in mind, what did Aerosmith bring to the table (stadium performances surely!). How about the Ramones? What did Led Zep do for the industry and ultimately for the consummers? How about KISS (other than show us how clowns apply makup <LOL>)

Bowie gave us theatrics blended with musical performance! Zappa was like that too. Who influenced who?

It won't be easy Cathy. I think there could be an entire career of Historical Analysis of "cause and effect" should anyone desire to make a profession of it. I'm sure it would sell a LOT of books!

MikeA

Did I miss the Greatful Dead in the list? I didn't see it, but I could have overlooked it.

I mean, talk about influencing a culture...

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    Did I miss the Greatful Dead in the list? I didn't see it, but I could have overlooked it.

I mean, talk about influencing a culture...
    No, you didn't miss GD. I quite simply forgot them! Rhonda and I were just talking about the Dead. I'll add them.

Now, for some material to digest. I of course knew of Dire Straits and liked some of their music but didn't know a lot about them. So I looked them up.

What I found that during the reign of Stadium Rock and and Punk music, Dire Straits maintained a position rooted in conventional Rock. As for Inovation, DS released the first recording produced specifically to take advantage of the new Compact Disc (CD) format.

Greatful Dead? I think they had a huge Inovative impact! First, they were NOT a "recording" band. I mean they certainly recorded and sold music, but where they really made their mark was with live performances. They had audio presentation equaled by NONE with a engineer who not only designed speaker systems specifically for live performances, but also engineered designer drugs (LSD in particular....Oswley Stanley!) Jerry Garcia took Folk Rock to the Flower Children of the mid to late 60's. Yeah, they were Influential and do need to be considered.

"Queen": Did you know that Queen released a pre-MTV video of Bohemian Rhapsody? They were of the first to do anything like that. I'd call that Inovation and deduce that it probably had a lot of impact on the entire MTV video explosion. I have to think though I haven't seen anything documenting it, that Queen was pretty heavily influenced By Zappa and Bowie based on the way Mercury especially presented their songs on-stage.
    Last edited by MikeA; 07-08-2009 at 12:20 PM.

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Now, with that type thing in mind, what did Aerosmith bring to the table (stadium performances surely!). How about the Ramones? What did Led Zep do for the industry and ultimately for the consummers?
    Well Velvet Underground may have laid the foundation for Punk Rock, they weren't a punk band. Yes, others may have been before the Ramones, but the Ramones were probably called the first Punk band. They influenced the Clash, Sex Pistols, Butthole Surfers, etc.

I guess I should save the above comment for the elimation part, but I can repeat it. =)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    That's my dilemma here. I have never owned any works of the majority of artists on the list, so how am I to know how they have influenced music?
    Cathy-just vote for Led Zeppelin!! Not trying to sway the vote already or anything!

Also, think of this as a way of getting to know some new forms of music that you would've never tried before. Who knows---you might find something new that you enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA
    I was never big on MTV. I was so burned with the desolution of Eagles by the 80's that I pretty much ignored the Rock scene. Heck, I even tried to listen to Country for a while but could never really develop an appreciation for it. I'd reverted to "Oldies but Goodies". So all of that "Punk" splash just washed on by me unnoticed. All of the head bangin', mad "I'm gonna Kill myself or someone else" just didn't do it for me and whether that perception of their music was right or not, it turned me off. I didn't even appreciate Metalica at the time.
    Makes sense. Glad you gave up on Country. Unfortunately that is the perception many had of Punk and a lot of Punk artists were like that but many were not. Loved The Clash, The Ramones and Billy Idol for examples that were very different.

And trust me, I still don't appreciate Metalica---talk about a band that tries to be scary by screaming in your face!!! I can think of only 2 songs of theirs that I will ever listen to! To me that's not Heavy Metal it's just screaming real loud! JMO tho.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

For me, Metalica was intriuging because of the guitar work....not overall musicianship. They did perfect power-cords and lightening fast guitar finger tapping! With two leads, they really set the stage on FIRE.

Country: My stint in "country" was "Red Headed Stranger", the outlaw guys (Jennings and Willie and Hank Williams Jr.) Oh, I did like Don Williams. No accounting for "tastes" <LOL>

I do have to admit Shanai Twain caught my attention and it had nothing to do with MUSIC!

Hmmm, I didn't list Bonnie Raitt. I think Bonnie is more of a perpetuator and ambassador of Blues more so than an Inovator though.

Joni Mitchell I do need to add if she's not already there though. She was part of the huge scene around Laurel Canyon where not on the Eagles, but JD Souther, Jackson Browne, CSNY, Mama Cass Elliot and that entire group were coming into their own. Joni was sort of the Queen of that "Set".

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Cathy-just vote for Led Zeppelin!!
    You wish!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.