Well, Freypower and I were discussing this in another thread, and I know this has come up on the board before. The question we were pondering is whether or not there is a Barnstorm version of Rocky Mountain Way. Here's what I say, but it would be interesting to see what others thoughts are.

Even though The Smoker You Drink, the Player You Get album cover says Joe Walsh on the cover, I think of it as a Barnstorm album. I believe this falls into one of those “gray” areas that you can look at two different ways. To me, it’s kinda like Bruce Springsteen and the “E” Street Band and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Many people just refer to these artists as if they are solo acts even though their bands recorded the songs and tour as well. Also, considering that there are two studio versions of Rocky Mountain Way (1973’s The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get and 1976’s You Can’t Argue With a Sick Mind), people often differentiate between the two by referring to the “Smoker” version as Barnstorm. In Backstage Pass, Joe Vitale has a chapter titled “Barnstorm” where he recounts the recording of both the Barnstorm and “Smoker” albums, so I presume that he considers it a Barnstorm recording too. It was essentially the same lineup on both albums, except for the addition of Rocke Grace on the “Smoker” album. The writing credits for RMW are the four guys that were in Barnstorm - Joe Walsh, Joe Vitale, Kenny Passarelli, and Rocke Grace.