Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vote for the Eagles!!!!!

Default Vote for the Eagles!!!!!

I was listening to one of my local classic rock stations this morning and they were talking about the greatest American rock bands of all time and announced that you can vote for your favorite band on their website. This morning they did say that the Eagles were winning. I don't know how much longer this poll will be up but vote while you can.

www.969bobfm.com
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

Default Re: Vote for the Eagles!!!!!

Well I went back to the radio stations website to vote again and it seems that the poll is already closed...at least it appears that way to me. If the poll is closed, the Eagles have won with 44% of the votes beating out Aerosmith, Boston, Van Halen, and ZZ Top.
    ~Jess~

Wow, Way to go Eagles

I just checked the link and it appears the voting is still underway with the Eagles holding the lead at 45%. I bookmarked the link and will return to vote again! Thanks Peekaboo.
    I just need a little downtime.........

I just voted, Eagles are at 45% - the next closest is Aerosmith at 25%...wa-hoo! We know who's the greatest!

~Tonja~

Stuck on the Border

Boston must have been much bigger in the States than I thought. In Australia the only hit they had was More Than A Feeling. I mean where are the Beach Boys, Creedence, the Byrds, the Band, REM and even bands like Metallica? I am showing my age. The Eagles were/are America's greatest band so if they win it would be the correct result.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, this is pretty cool - I just cast my vote. Our guys have moved up a bit to 46% with Aerosmith at 23%. I think the bands in the contest are interesting (Aerosmith, Eagles, Boston, Van Halen, ZZ Top). I wonder how they were chosen?

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but FP's post reminded me about an online contest back in 2005 conducted by a Jacksonville newspaper that was pretty cool. It was named the "Greatest American Rock and Roll Band of All Time" and was based on the 64-bracket NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. The tournament was 6 rounds and lasted about 6 weeks during the real tournament that year. The "Elite Eight" bands were the Eagles, Aerosmith, The Doors, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Beach Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Allman Brothers, and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Of course, the winner was <drum roll> the Eagles!!! The reason I knew the finalists is because I printed the final bracket. They even had a message board where you could make comments for and against the various bands. It was a lot of fun to participate in the tournament, especially since I approved of the end result. Most of the info on the tournament is no longer on the site, but I did find a link to the article that announced the winner.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin...18394591.shtml

Here is an exerpt from Thomas Lake's article ...

Published Tuesday, April 5, 2005

GOLDEN EAGLES

By THOMAS LAKE
    The Times-Union, Jacksonville

The tribe has spoken. There are 63 losers and one survivor. We asked you to pick the greatest American rock band, and after six rounds and 336,904 ballots, you did.

The Eagles.

We would insert a victory quote here, but they were apparently too busy bathing in money to call us back.

The Eagles beat Creedence Clearwater Revival, 1,374 to 966, in the final round of the Battle of the American Bands, nearly 34 years after David Geffen found them in Los Angeles and set out to make them superstars. ...

... Some on the message boards at Jacksonville.com expected the heavier-sounding Creedence to roll through the finals. But it wasn't to be.

"It doesn't have to be hard rock," wrote one Eagles fan, "to be rock."

==================================================

Now - what is really cool is that I am the "Eagles fan" that was quoted in that writeup. That was one of the comments I made in a post on the message board. I have a copy of my post somewhere. I'll have to try to dig it up.
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 07-10-2010 at 02:06 PM.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

I voted, they are up to 47%

Well I'm glad to see that you all are able to vote. Whenever I go to the site it doesn't let me vote anymore . Oh well, I was at least able to get in one vote for the guys.

Dreamer, I do remember you mentioning that tournament before. Great story about you (the "Eagles fan") getting a mention in the article.
    ~Jess~

Peek, I voted earlier today & I just went back & tried to do it again. The website showed the results to date but wouldn't let me vote again either. There must be only one vote per customer allowed !