Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This song's for you

Default Re: This song's for you

The "Still the Same" rumor was started by someone who knew both men. Apparently it was no secret who the inspiration was, at least at the time.

As for the topic of the thread, Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham wrote tons of songs about each other. Where should I start? Silver Springs, perhaps, one of my favorites. Here's what I wrote about it on my Fleetwood Mac site:

I love this song, but it's so tragic! It starts off with what could have been: Stevie had all this love for Lindsey, like an "ocean crashing" (see Crystal for more water imagery). But Lindsey has found someone else. She doesn't want to hear about it, though - it still hurts (yes, I know Stevie left Lindsey, but it still must have been hard for her when he was seeing other women). The next question is an important one - "Was it worth it?" Was the love worth all the pain? But she's afraid to ask - what if the answer's no? If so, she'd rather not know.

Time may have made them drift apart, but she tells him he'll never forget what they had. She blames him for the break-up here: she tried to love him but he "would not let [her]." He wanted different things than her and, in her opinion, forced her to break up with him. She promises him that he won't be able to forget her - when he hears her voice, whether in person or on the radio, that memory will always "haunt" him and cause him to regret what happened, no matter how hard he tries to escape it (see Dreams for a similar dire prediction for Lindsey)!

This was written around the time they were breaking up - it was meant to be on Rumours, and was the B-side to Go Your Own Way. It really reflects the fact that Stevie did not feel she had any choice, that she didn't want to leave but she had to. She's saddened by the way it turned out, too, even if she did officially initiate the break-up.

I just love the passionate way Stevie sings the song on The Dance - she really puts her heart into it.

Check out the video on MySpace.

The lyrics:

You could be my silver springs
    Blue-green colors flashing
    I would be your only dream
    Your shining autumn ocean crashing

And don't say that she's pretty
    And did you say that she loved you?
    Baby, I don't wanna know

So I'll begin not to love you
    Turn around, see me running
    I'll say I loved you years ago
    Tell myself you never loved me...no

And don't say that she's pretty
    And did you say that she loved you?
    Baby, I don't wanna know
    Oh, no

And can you tell me, was it worth it?
    Baby, I don't wanna know

Time cast a spell on you
    But you won't forget me
    I know I could have loved you
    But you would not let me

Time cast a spell on you
    But you won't forget me
    I know I could have loved you
    But you would not let me

I'll follow you down 'til the sound
    Of my voice will haunt you
    (Give me just a chance)
    You'll never get away from the sound
    Of the woman that loved you
    (Was I just a fool?)

I'll follow you down 'til the sound
    Of my voice will haunt you
    (Give me just a chance)
    You'll never get away from the sound
    Of the woman that loved you

Time cast a spell on you
    But you won't forget me...

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I read once that Dire Straits' The Man's Too Strong is about Bob Dylan. Mark Knopfler had produced Dylan's Infidels album and found Dylan very hard to deal with. I don't know. The lyrics are very harsh.

Joni Mitchell's Help Me and Car On A Hill are about Glenn.

Rhymin' Man by Frank Zappa is about Jesse Jackson.

I have always thought that Neil Young's The Old Homestead and at least part of Thrasher refer to his former colleagues Crosby, Stills & Nash.

John Lennon's How Do You Sleep is aimed at his former partner Paul McCartney.

I can probably come up with tons of these given time.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

I might be wrong on this one... but weren't

My Man by the Eagles and Crazy Eyes by Poco both about Gram Parsons?

Stuck on the Border

Yes, My Man is about Gram Parsons. I don't know about Crazy Eyes.

Then there is James Dean! DUH!

Candle In The Wind is about Marilyn Monroe/Princess Diana.

I've just found this thread today, and the co-incidence is unbelievable: two days ago, our local newspaper ran an article about well-known songs written about famous people!

Bob Seger's "Still The Same" was not mentioned, though.

I know of two songs that were written about John Lennon by two of his former Beatle bandmates:

"Here Today", one of Paul McCartney's most moving ballads in my opinion, was written about John after he passed away. I cried upon first hearing it, and proceeded to write my own song about John (and then also dedicating it to Elvis), admittedly nicking a little bit of Paul's tune.

George Harrison wrote "All Those Years Ago" as a tribute to John after his passing.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    Empty Garden- Elton John, Written for John Lennon
    I've never heard this Elton John song. Being a huge fan of John Lennon, I'd love to hear it.

These two collaborated on the 1974 (or was it 1973?) no. 1 hit, "Whatever Gets You Through The Night".

"Black Velvet" by Alannah Myles was written about Elvis Presley.

Another song about Elvis I can think of off-hand is "Calling Elvis" by Dire Straits (duh... )

"American Pie" by Don McLean was apparently written about Buddy Holly ("the day the music died" - a reference to Buddy passing away in the 1958 plane crash, along with Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper).

Oh, yes: a very interesting reference I found in the aforementioned newspaper article was that Joshua Kadison wrote his hit "Jessie" (or is it "Jesse"?) about Sarah Jessica Parker. The two apparently had a relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I
    John Lennon's How Do You Sleep is aimed at his former partner Paul McCartney.
    This was supposed to have been a response to Paul's song "Too Many People", which supposedly carried subtle digs at John and Yoko. I admit that I still haven't heard Paul's song.

"How Do You Sleep?" is a very harsh Lennon rant, and I cringe for Paul everytime I listen to it. Knowing John, though, I think he must have been very hurt by Paul to attack him that way.

It is said that "Crippled Inside", from the same album as "How Do You Sleep?" ("Imagine"), is also aimed at Paul. When one listens closely to the lyrics, it makes sense, but I would not have guessed it had it not been said. It's always been one of my favourite songs off the album, though.

John later expressed his regret at writing "How Do You Sleep?", saying that he was actually writing about himself, and that he and Paul were "okay".

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Let us not forget:

Has Anyone Ever Written Anything for You by Stevie Nicks to Joe Walsh.

Which of course makes me think of Joe's sweet baby girl and I have to hold back tears.