Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame / Annex

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame / Annex

First of all, I could have sworn that there was already a thread about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on the board that I had posted about this in, but I sure don't see one. Oh well, I guess I must be having a premature senior moment.

As some of you may know, I am a huge Miami Dolphin fan, and in August, 2005, I made a trip to Canton to see my football hero, Dan Marino, be inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame. We decided we needed to make it a true “Hall of Fame” trip and drive on up to Cleveland to also visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It was a great time and if you are ever in the Cleveland area, you don’t want to miss it. We spent a full day in the museum, but definitely would have spent more time if we could have. There were many memorable exhibits, but I’ll focus on the things I can remember about the Eagles memorabilia on display.

The first Eagles-related thing I saw was Don’s original drum set that he used on the first several albums and tours. I don’t know why, but I was kinda awestruck. But, I do remember being very unimpressed with their ugly dark reddish gold color.

The Eagles exhibit was relatively small, but very cool, nonetheless. Each of the band members had something on display, but I can’t remember everything. The things I do remember are one of Bernie’s acoustic guitars, one of Joe’s electric guitars, and one of Felder’s white Hotel California double necks. There were hand-written lyrics for a couple of songs, which I thought were very cool, but I am bummed because, for the life of me, I can’t remember which songs. I do remember being pretty confident that one of them was in Glenn’s handwriting. There was a football jersey with Joe’s name on it. They also had a pair of Glenn’s patchwork jeans with the same silver belt that he is wearing in the famous ‘Come Hither’ photo. Another thing that was really cool was a very large duffel bag full with hundreds of hotel keys that Timothy “collected” during his days of touring with the band. Man – that was a lot of hotels.

There was also a James Gang display, but it was in such a small area that I had a difficult time seeing anything. I do remember being jazzed because they were playing Walk Away in that room, which I could hear just fine.

Eva, my biggest disappointment was that the museum did not permit photographs of the exhibits. I wanted to try to snap a quick pic of the Eagles exhibit, but the policy was being strictly enforced. They had museum staff stationed all over to prevent it. This was really puzzling to me, especially since the NFL Hall of Fame had absolutely no restrictions about taking pictures.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    First of all, I could have sworn that there was already a thread about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on the board that I had posted about this in, but I sure don't see one. Oh well, I guess I must be having a premature senior moment.
    Dreamer, I knew you were not crazy - here's the link!

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ll+fame&page=2
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

You know, I looked for a thread on this as well before I started mine...oh well!

Dreamer, too cool on the Eagles display! I would've loved to see Timmy's key collection (I wasn't aware he kept one...), and that silver belt buckle of Glenn's (if he only knew how we entitled that photo!) Also, I really get a kick out of hand-written lyrics! I wonder if that is the main reason for the ban on photos? It seems that those would be the most personal items--and maybe for that reason, the musicians have nixed the photography.
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesvet View Post
    You know, I looked for a thread on this as well before I started mine...oh well!
    No, it's okay EV - this definitely needed its own thread!

I have talked to several friends and family members who have visited the RRHOF in Cleveland. Everybody says to go - it's worth the trip. We'll get there one of these days - maybe even this year!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I'm definitely going before Spring 2010 ends...Springsteen special exhibit, ya know! I might even try for the end of the summer...
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Thanks for your detective work, PM. I actually thought I had a started a thread and posted about my visit, but I am, obviously, "confused"! Oh well, I was well-intended.

And yeah, ev - I'm not sure why the museum doesn't permit photography. It wasn't clear to me whether it was at the request of the artists or not. I really don't understand it. I don't think seeing pictures would deter anyone from visiting - quite the opposite, as a matter of fact.

There are going to be two special 25th Anniversary Concerts honoring the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at Madison Square Garden in NYC this October. Tickets went on sale this am for American Express Card holders; and for the general public on Aug. 3. On Oct. 29 the concert features Bruce Springsteen, Simon and Garfunkel, CSN and friends, Paul Simon, and Stevie Wonder. On Oct. 30, the concert features Eric Clapton, Aretha Franklin, Metallica, and U2. (Both nights sound like our "Greatest Band" thread to me!) The creative team choreographing the musicians and film clips include Tom Hanks, Robbie Robertson, and Cameron Crowe; and the event will be produced by Joel Gallen (who produces/directs the RRHF inductions and the MTV Music Awards.) Proceeds from the event are going to set up a permanent endowment for the RRHF Foundation and Museum. Sounds fabulous!!
    ~Eva~

Thanks for the heads up on this, ev. Wonder if Tom Hanks and Cameron Crowe can get their good friends, the Eagles, to play one of those events? Now, wouldn't that just be awesome - I would soooo be there!!!

WOW, that's quite a line-up!!!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on this, ev. Wonder if Tom Hanks and Cameron Crowe can get their good friends, the Eagles, to play one of those events? Now, wouldn't that just be awesome - I would soooo be there!!!
    Actually, I went back and re-read the press release on Bruce's website, and it does say that the "shows will be packed with guest stars." I just wonder why they aren't listing them in the top billing?? Maybe it's just because they aren't finalized?? I guess we should just keep our heads up!
    ~Eva~