Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Take It To the Limit

Default Re: Take It To the Limit

To answer LTL, while I can't find the interview, I remember specifically Tim stating that he told the guys when he joined the band that he didn't want to sing any of Randy's songs. He felt that would be disrespectful to Randy.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Thanks Soda. I just wasn't sure if someone read that or not. Remember how many of us thought TBS was a vegan... and then the next two interviews I read by him spoke of him not being one and eating chicken.

I forgot to answer who's version I liked better. I perfer Randy's version. Also, FP, I'm not moved by the high part at the end either. I like it and all, but it's not the highlight for me either.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Like I said in the other thread where this subject came up a couple days ago, my favorite version is Randy and to be honest, I really don't know why. Hadn't really thought about it, but maybe, like PM said, it's the whole original thing.

And of course I am one of those that would love to hear Timothy sing it, then again, he could belch the alphabet song and I'd be a fan, so I guess that isn't saying much! I really do think he would do it justice tho.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

It would be interesting to hear his spin on it.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I like TITTL from Glenn and Randy.
    I cannot say which version I find better, I find both versions in her kind good!
    I would like to hear Tim sing TITTL too!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Honestly while I realize Tim doing it might be nice as something different... I don't think his voice is suited for it. Yes, his voice is high enough to do all those frills at the end, and I like the idea of him coming in on the end to fill in that space. But as for the rest of the song... I agree with those who have said his voice is too sweet to really sell the angst of those lyrics.

However, since Tim sees it as Randy's domain, perhaps he is loath to even do the high parts at the end.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

As I said before, I'm one that thinks that Tim's voice is well-suited for this song and that he could really pull it off. He has enough range and variance in his voice where I think he could do it justice (i.e. listen to I Can't Tell You Why vs. Top of the Stairs vs. Down By the River). But, I also think it is all a moot point since Tim apparently doesn't want to sing it.

However, I'll also say that I'm one of those that generally prefers the original versions of songs, and this one is no exception. With regard to Glenn's version of the song, all I can say is I have heard him perform it live in several Eagles shows and also in his Prelude To Obscurity solo shows and in Niagara Falls. In those solo shows I attended, the song was performed with more electric guitars with Glenn standing. All I can say is that, other than the high notes at the end, it was very close to Randy's version - much more powerful and energetic than the acoustic version in the Eagles concerts. The audience went wild over it, including yours truly.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Copied this from the 'dream' thread:

I remember back when I saw the Eagles for the first time since the '70's in 2002 and Glenn did TITTL and thought "I wonder why they don't have Tim sing this song?"

Now that I've read everyone's comments, I can kind of agree that his voice might be too sweet and soft for this song. I would like to hear him try it though. I do understand if he doesn't want to sing Randy's songs, too.

As far as which version I prefer, I have to say Randy's. I'm another that prefers the originals. Glenn does a great job and I'll take it if that's the only way we get it, which obviously it is! It's definitely a crowd pleaser. I daresay it gets as much audience participation as any of the songs.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

"Take it to the Limit" is a singer's song, that's for sure. I think any of the Eagles could sing it!--the original is great~

Out on the Border

while i do like both versions, my all time fav version though is the live version with Randy singing it.
    i think this calls for a video, i'm sure you've all seen it before but anyways:[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJgDhD0qjts"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJgDhD0qjts[/ame]