Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Song questions

Default Re: Song questions

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I think that Don doing that endless note during 'let somebody love you' is far too melodramatic. I am also not a fan of him taking the mic off the stand during the song (and I don't like this during The Long Run either, I have to say). To me this goes against the band being an ensemble that doesn't have a separate Lead Singer. I know that Soda thinks when he does this he takes the song to another level. I know that his real fans like seeing him move around.
    Count me in his group of "real" fans then, because I like to see Don move around too. I completely agree with Soda that it does take the song to another level. As with my well-documented dislike of plaid, FP has always voiced her dislike whenever Don leaves his drum kit. Glenn is ALWAYS out front--believe me, Don fans like to see him come front and center sometimes too.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I'm afraid I am one of those that thinks Desperado is overplayed and is not one of my favorites because of that. Of course you can't leave it out of a concert no more than you can HC, but I do agree that it would be better placed somewhere in the middle of the concert instead of the final song.

As far as Don holding the microphone? -no biggie to me. I could care less, it's actually a little refreshing to see something from the norm for them.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

1. I can't think of any other songs all the Eagles have written together besides Saturday Night.

2. As others have noted, Take It Easy used to close the show back during HFO. Prior to that:
    Long Run tour - sometimes closed with Best of My Love, sometimes Take It Easy, sometimes All Night Long
    Hotel California tour - sometimes closed with Best of My Love, sometimes Carol
    One of These Nights tour - sometimes closed with Tequila Sunrise, sometimes Best of My Love
    On the Border tour - closed with Tequila Sunrise
    Desperado tour - closed with Dream Baby
    Eagles LP tour - closed with Earlybird

3. I like Desperado fine as the last song; as has been noted, both Glenn and Don seem to like to "take it down" a notch at the end, and the audience responds well. I also liked it better when Glenn was at the keyboards, Don was at the drums, and they did it "old school" but oh well. At this point, though, I'd like to have them shake things up a bit and do another song last just for the sake of being different. Right now, the only way they seem to be "shaking things up" is by dropping songs and rearranging things to fill the holes.

I think putting TIE as the first encore spot is actually a place of prominence. When the band comes out and goes into those familiar strains, the crowd erupts. It works great, IMHO - and that's what's important.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan View Post
    Count me in his group of "real" fans then, because I like to see Don move around too. I completely agree with Soda that it does take the song to another level. As with my well-documented dislike of plaid, FP has always voiced her dislike whenever Don leaves his drum kit. Glenn is ALWAYS out front--believe me, Don fans like to see him come front and center sometimes too.
    Agreed. (Apart from the plaid thing, but you know that anyway! ) I love watching Don at the drums, but I really enjoy watching him out front, either with a guitar or just a mic, getting the chance to perform a bit. His performance of The Long Run is one of my favourite bits of F1, and I can't wait to see it on this tour. He really gets into it and his soulful side comes out, as it does in Desperado. I can understand the desire to 'leave the show on a high' but the 'high' does not just rest on the last song - it rests on the couple of hours preceding it, too. I totally agree with Soda about Take It Easy. It's a fantastic encore-opener.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Out on the Border

as far as Desperado gos i would love to see the reprise tacked on the end and moved up to close the first set. i would love to see them close with IWYP but i know that would never happen, it would be nice though if they changed it up, i like the idea of them closing with TIE or maybe even bringing back something like Earlybird.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Changing pace here... but it is a song question, so I'll put it here...

I've been listening to You Never Cry Like a Lover a lot lately and trying to relate to it... but I can't.

What in the world is it even supposed to mean? Exactly, how should a lover cry? Should a woman be so overcome w/emotion that she breaks down because you just made the best love to her?

Anyone actually enjoy or relate to this song?

Stuck on the Border

In my case I have never been able to relate to the song. He seems to be blaming her for the entire failure of the relationship. People can be 'cold' or even 'frigid' and perhaps that is what he thinks she is.

Not to be vulgar, but I took the "Cry like a lover" to mean the cries one makes at certain times during lovemaking. Her lack of "crying like a lover" indicates she is not being sexually responsive. Like most men, he gets defensive and blames her entirely.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Hmm, I never thought of it being those kinds of cries. I must go back & review the lyrics with that meaning in mind. I always wondered about the meaning of the title too, but I never paid a whole lot of attention to the words as it is not one of my favourite Eagles' songs.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

We've talked about this song on the board quite a bit, so I'm going to copy a lot of what I said in another thread. I agree with Soda's interpretation of the "cry" line, however, I've got yet another interpretation of the song overall. IMO, I don't think he is putting the blame all on the woman. At the very point in the song where the "try a little harder" starts, he switches over talking about himself. The lines are:

I can't live with you baby, can't live without it
    And sometimes I believe in love
    Sometimes I doubt it
    But your life goes on
    Like a broken down carousel
    Where somebody left the music on

The "try a little harder" could apply to the man or the woman. As I've said before, to me, he is just lamenting over the fact that the relationship isn't working out for either of them.

In any event, I don't think it is any accident that the lyrics are left open for different interpretations.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016