Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Glenn interview in Chicago

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Interesting Glenn interview in Chicago

OK! before anyone gets too excited about this I don't have a link for it.

However Monday over here was a public Holiday and traditionally in our family 'Dads Birthday Picnic' ie a trek up the mountains followed by a picnic once a sunny spot is found. Dad at 83 is unable to walk very well but he enjoys it! Anyway I showed up about midday and my Mum more or less immediately told me 'The Eagles will be on RTE Radio 1 at 2pm' When pushed further (was it a special, an interview, a song......) all she could come up with was 'I don't know love. I just heard they were on and know you like them.....'

Ok so I'm driving over the mountains wondering what it'll be (yes and planning a detour to RTE if they had flown over to give an interview to spur on ticket sales) when its announced that its a 'Close Up' special on the Eagles involving interviews with Don Henley and GLENN FREY done in Chicago earlier this year.

So.... they did the Glenn bit first.

OK Glenn sounded fantastic and it was great to hear his voice fill my car as I drove over the Dublin/Wicklow mountains . All I'm saying is from memory, so if I get something wrong, Sorry Glenn in advance

He spoke about the early days of the Band and how it took time in those days to build it up, that they went from playing as support acts to bigger acts like Jethro Tull in England, to being billed with a number of acts, to being billed as lead acts in smaller (3000 seater) stadiums. That it was only after OOTN was released that he really felt they were making an impact as a bigger otband. He acknowledged too that in the 70's it took a lot longer for any band to become eatablished, whereas its nearly instantaneous now.

He spoke of the original Eagles album and how quickly it was put together by Glyn Johns. He didn't speak badly of Johns but said that Johns was known for churning out albums quickly. On the other hand when Bill Szymczyk took over as producer he gave them a lot more creative freedom within the studio, allowing them to experiment with harmonies and mix backing vocals etc. Apparently Johns liked to get the songs as done and just record them.

Anyway when asked his favourite song on the original Eagles album his comment was that it was like favouring one of his kids over another (laughing) Eventually he went for PEF and they playes that. they also played 'How Long' towards the start of the show.

He explained the musical differences between Bernie Leadon and himself and why they took Don Felder into the band. Then he also spoke of the story behind 'Lyin Eyes' talking about both Dan Tanas and the Troubador.

Sadly by that stage- they were playing Lyin Eyes the reception on my radio was poor and we had reached our destination. However they were to interview Don as well, so I imagine as I'd had a half hour of Glenn there mightn't been a lot left.

Of course I was reluctant to leave the car and there were more than one or two suggestions of 'Whose more important - your family or the Eagles' Its as well I didn't have to answer that......

I've emailed RTE and am hoping to get a link or cd or something. If I do I'll post the interview in full. I know I've left some stuff out and its only paraphrased. But it was great to get an interview from Glenn himself, so I didn't want to pass up on the opportunity of at least sharing some of it. Oh and he seemed in great humour.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Default Re: Interesting Glenn interview in Chicago

..oohh...hope we get to hear the whole thing...sounds interesting..

Great interview, thanks for sharing.

Out on the Border

Sometimes you can find these interviews on the internet (after some time has past). So we'll keep our fingers crossed!

Thanks for the summary! Perhaps the station will put it up in its entirety on its site - I sure hope so!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thanks for letting us know about the interview, GA and for sharing with us all that you remembered. I know I wouldn't have been able to remember a quarter of what you did.

Thanks for sharing the summary.
    Today I found the link to the interview!

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/musiccloseup/1265325.html
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Thank you GA for giving us a heads up on this interview and Koala, thanks for finding it! I've had a chance to listen to the first half. It's so enjoyable listening to Glenn talk! Even though we've heard some of these stories before, it so nice to hear them rather than read them!

On a side note - Bill Szymczyk is featured throughout Joe Vitale's book Backstage Pass and there also he is given accolades for his work.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Listening to this before leaving for work really gets the day started off right! Thanks GA and Koala!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

It was a nice interview, but they didn't mention Timothy's name, not once! Poor guy is so overlooked. Other than that, it's always nice to hear the guys talk.