Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Livin' Right

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Default Re: Livin' Right

Keep up the great work Nancy! That's awesome! I just jogged on the treadmill tonight, because running on pavement destroys my legs!

I hope you heal up quickly so you can continue your exercise plan.

Congrats for the lost, Soda, hope the pain in the knee will get better soon!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Awesome work, Soda!

I am doing pilates once a week at work, it's challenging but feels good. Finding all sorts of muscles I didn't really know I had... and they're all hurting! But only during the exercise, and I feel great the next day. Stronger and taller!
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Soda, that's fantastic but I hope your knee gets better soon. Let it rest a few days and then take it slow working back up to where you were.

My workout is mostly just walking. I jog some in spurts. Our gravel road is hilly so I job on the flat spots!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Keep up the good work, Soda -- but don't overdo!!
    30 lbs. lost is fantastic! Hope I can still recognize you in AC!!
    I'll just look for the woman with the big smile and a Cosmo in her hand!!

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Way to go Soda! Well done and keep up the good work!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Congrats, Soda! Have you or will you go to a doctor? Do you have a place where you can go swimming? That might be a good thing to do while healing up. As long as you don't limp and slip on wet tiles (yes, that is the voice of experience there).
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

30lbs is amazing, Nancy! Congratulations!

That's great about pilates, EK. I have just started a six-week yoga course for beginners. I had my first session last week, and it was great - I'm really looking forward to my next class on Wednesday.

I am still doing the C25K program on the treadmill. I do it at the start of my gym routine, and I find that structure works well for me. I also have been following a vegan diet lately (most of you know I have been a vegetarian since the age of nine.) I have lost 11lbs in just a couple of weeks. I would strongly recommend that everyone reads Dr. Joel Fuhrman's book "Eat To Live". I know a lot of people will feel like it's "not for them", but it's not a fad diet - it is an incredibly well-researched nutritional guide. It blows away a lot of misconceptions about food, meat and dairy products in particular, and basically just advocates the eating of the "super foods" - fruit, veg, nuts and beans/legumes. My diet beforehand wasn't a million miles away from this, so I haven't found the transition too difficult, but cutting out the saturated fat has made a big difference. You can get all the nutrients you need from plant-based foods. The book is primarily about optimal health and disease prevention - although obviously fast, sustained weight loss is a welcome side effect! The idea is that this kind of plant-based diet reverts us to a more natural state, and that these foods will help you to reach your ideal weight. The great thing is, you can eat as much as you want. You can't overeat on veg! I never find that I am hungry. And I never have to calorie count. It's so simple, but it sort of feels like a revelation, after being subjected to all the crap and numerous fad diets that are out there, you know? It's stuff I already sort of knew, made crystal clear.

Anyway - I hope no-one takes this as a lecture! I just wanted to share my recent experiences and perhaps introduce a few more people to Dr. Fuhrman's book. I have seen amazing results already, and I feel great - no tiredness, sickness, weakness that you often experience when "dieting"! The most important thing is to eat more veg, more fruit and more beans and pulses. Even if you implement that idea 20%, you will still reap big benefits. As an example, my mum has been inspired by my results and has started to follow these principles loosely. (She still has some chicken and fish now and then, crackers and a glass of wine!) She has lost 8lbs in a little over a week. It's fast, but it's HEALTHY. This is a woman who struggled for ages with weight loss, and didn't feel particularly "unhealthy" beforehand.

I wish I could tell everyone not to bother with fad diets and money-making schemes where you have to eat tiny portions of processed stuff... It's not sustainable and it will make you miserable. The food that will help you lose weight and be healthy comes right out of the ground. And you can eat as much of it as you want.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    The idea is that this kind of plant-based diet reverts us to a more natural state, and that these foods will help you to reach your ideal weight.
    I'm all for being in a natural state! I'm thinking about getting Eat to Live from the library next time I go. You should get a commission Lou. Great endorsement! And congratulaions to you and everyone here who are taking the steps to good health and fitness.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

WOW SODA....WAY TO GO.....