Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dixie Chicks

Default Re: Dixie Chicks

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    The feeling I get here is that people object to hearing the artists' political views expressed on stage because they disagree with them.

I have no strong feelings about this either way. In my case, I tend to agree with my favourite artists' views. That tends to be one of the reasons why you like the artist. If I know that some artist is right wing I would be far less likely to have any interest in their music, so I wouldn't be in the position of ever going to see them and disagree with their views.
    FP, you put me in mind of my husband who, although he always denies this, does not want to watch a movie if the actors are those who speak out politically against his views. I, on the other hand, would like to watch the movie (or any artist for that matter) and not even be aware of what their political views are. I watch the movie to be entertained (as I listen to music to be entertained) and have no more desire to know these people's political views than that of the person who cuts my hair. Why would these peoples views be of any interest to me? They are not political experts, but people just like you and me who have an opinion. By all means let them (and all of us) be allowed to speak our opinions, but just because your job gives you a stage to perform on, don't use that stage for something other than what you are there to do (act, sing, perform).
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

The feeling I get here is that people object to hearing the artists' political views expressed on stage because they disagree with them.

I have no strong feelings about this either way. In my case, I tend to agree with my favourite artists' views. That tends to be one of the reasons why you like the artist. If I know that some artist is right wing I would be far less likely to have any interest in their music, so I wouldn't be in the position of ever going to see them and disagree with their views.
    First - I love the avi FP!! That's a great pic!

I guess I'm just the opposite here because I AM right wing - and I love the Eagles, even though, as much as I can tell, they are all left wingers (though Don is the most vocal)...I don't agree with him about 90% of the time...but I love the music. If I find the message in any given song "too much" for me, I just skip it.

I dunno why people reacted the way they did...I think we'd be hard pressed to come up with an exact reason...we are the land of the free and with everyone having the right to express his/her opinion, believing they are right and the other guy is wrong, well, it can get a little crazy out there...

~Tonja~

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I in the same boat as you, Aogg! I'm way more right wing than left, but I can easily overlook that with the Eagles. Thank goodness!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

As I said before, It's not your job to tell the performers what they can or cannot say.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

I have to admit, that I can not relate to this statement at all. I can not imagine NOT liking someone because they are of opposing political views. I for one can tell you, I do not care if the artist agrees or disagrees with my views, I don't want them using the entertainment stage to tell me their beliefs.

I pick my favorite artists based on their talent and not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    As I said before, It's not your job to tell the performers what they can or cannot say.
    No, it's my job to not buy their stuff or go to see them if they pi** me off!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I think the attitude of "If I don't agree with them, I won't like anything they do" is exactly what is wrong with this country. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make them worthless as musicians or whatever path they have chosen in life. I think it's a real shame that some people are unable to understand that there are good, talented people on both sides of the aisle.

That said, I agree that it is tiresome to hear political views in concert, regardless of whether or not I agree with them. They're free to do it; I'm free to roll my eyes at it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I can easily overlook that with the Eagles. Thank goodness!
    Me too - they sure make some pretty music together! Man - I can't get enough!

~Tonja~

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    I have to admit, that I can not relate to this statement at all. I can not imagine NOT liking someone because they are of opposing political views. I for one can tell you, I do not care if the artist agrees or disagrees with my views, I don't want them using the entertainment stage to tell me their beliefs.

I pick my favorite artists based on their talent and not much else.
    I had better clarify this and state that I have never decided I like someone's music (because that is normally what it is) on the basis of politics.

I am basically on the left, but there are some musicians who claim to be on the left whose endless posturing and self-righteousness annoys me. I am not going to say who they are, but they do not include the Eagles. So that somewhat negates what I said about being unlikely to like an artist if they are right wing. Perhaps it also negates what I said about believing they should be allowed to express their views on stage. I have to say I would perhaps be irritated by them if they preached to me on stage.

However, as EL said, if they are going to use the stage to propagate their beliefs, who am I to tell them they shouldn't? While I understand the 'shut up and sing' thing, if that is what they want to do, then it really can't be helped. As Soda said you are free to rolll your eyes at them if you wish.

Border Desperado

I didn't want to get into the whole Dixie Chicks discussion, but I guess I can't hold out anymore. I agree with most everything y'all have said about the situation with her having the right and being prepared, so I don't feel the need to comment more on that.

The discussion on whether or not you like an artist for their political views stumps me a bit. I've never cherry picked artists based on their left or right-wingedness, but to each his own. I've noticed that most of the artists I like have differing views from mine, but that doesn't make me like them any less or change the way I feel about their music. But when an artist is on stage, I think they should stick to their music and not their politics. It isn't the end of the world if they veer off to the politics topic, but judging by some of the reactions I've encountered at concerts, I think it is best to leave the politics for when the mics are off. In a perfect world, I think that at concerts, the musician should focus on promoting their music and indulging their fans, but that's just my humble opinion.