Page 147 of 165 FirstFirst ... 4797137143144145146147148149150151157 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 1649

Thread: Rock N Roll Birthdays

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: Rock N Roll Birthdays

David actually plays quite a lot of the bass parts on Animals, on the album I believe the breakdown of what David and Roger played on the three main songs is as follows, in track order:

Dogs - All guitars - David; Bass - Roger
    Pigs - Lead guitar - David; Rhythm guitar - Roger; Bass - David
    Sheep - Lead guitar - David; Rhythm guitar - Roger; Bass - David

David thus played bass as well as lead guitar on two of the three songs (albeit with the usual David on guitar, Roger on bass combination on Dogs, which takes up almost all of side one of the LP).

One thing that is slightly odd about this is that Dogs and Sheep both originated from songs originally played on the Dark Side tour in 1974 - 'You've Gotta Be Crazy' and 'Raving and Drooling', respectively, which meant that Roger played bass on not only the early version of Dogs, but also on the early Sheep. Therefore, I'm not quite sure how David ended up playing bass on the final version. Pigs is a different matter, it was a completely new song and therefore I believe Gilmour would probably have come up with the bass solos in the song himself.

In live performances, obviously it was not possible for David to play both guitar and bass and therefore guitar player Snowy White was recruited as an additional musician to play both bass and rhythm guitar in the live shows. Thus the three Animals tracks were played live as follows (Sheep was played first live rather than Dogs):

Sheep - Lead guitar - David; Rhythm guitar - Roger; Bass - Snowy White
    Dogs - Guitars - David and Snowy White; Bass - Roger
    Pigs - Lead guitar - David; Rhythm guitar - Roger; Bass - Snowy White

It must have been quite strange on the 1977 In The Flesh tour compared to previous Pink Floyd tours because for much of the Animals section, Roger Waters was playing guitar rather than bass, especially once you took into account Pigs On The Wing (where Roger played acoustic guitar). By contrast, Roger to my knowledge played all of the bass on Wish You Were Here, which made up most of the rest of the show. In this part of the performance, Snowy White acted as an additional guitarist supplementing Gilmour's parts, notably on Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

On The Wall, I'm not so sure off the top of my head, partly because there are so many songs on that album (it's a lot easier to remember who played what when there are only four/five songs, not 26!), but I'm pretty sure David played the fretless bass on Hey You. I think he also plays bass on Nobody Home, which doesn't have any guitar parts, but beyond that I'd definitely need to check all of the song credits again.

My only suggestion as to why David played bass on these songs is that he is simply, from a technically point of view, a better musician than Roger. I think I once came across a quote from David where he was asked about who played bass on Hey You, and he politely suggested to the interviewer that it wasn't likely to be Roger playing the fretless bass part. This could explain why David plays bass on this song, and possibly also on Pigs too.

David also played bass on The Narrow Way (Ummagumma) and Fat Old Sun (Atom Heart Mother), but the former song was on an album of solo projects by the four band members and therefore David played all of the instruments himself, while if Wikipedia is correct, Fat Old Sun only features David and Rick, with Rick playing the organ parts and David playing all other instruments, including the drums as well as guitar and bass.

Thanks for the story about Rick tuning Roger's bass - I'd honestly never heard that one before.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Happy 69th birthday to Sir Elton John .

Elton's music has been in my life since I was born. My mom is a fan, so I heard his many hits as a child, and grew to love them as well. My favorite song of his is Levon, from his fourth album, Madman Across the Water. Levon is one of my top 5 favorite songs of all time.
    Last edited by AlreadyGone95; 03-25-2016 at 08:38 PM. Reason: corrected a mistake
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Love, love, love Sir Elton John. Happy Birthday wishes and long life to you, Sir.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Happy Birthday Elton John!!! He's another I love too that my Mom raised me on. I personally loved "Crocodile Rock" and it's 50s sound, but he's had so many other classics over the years that I love as well including "Tiny Dancer" and it's use in "Almost Famous".
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border

Happy birthday to the great SIR ELTON JOHN!

(colours of Watford FC).

A very happy birthday to both Sir Elton John and the "Queen of Soul," Aretha Franklin!
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Oooh, Aretha too? Excellent, happy birthday to Ms Franklin!

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Didn't know about Aretha Franklin. Happy belated birthday to her

Happy 68th birthday to Steven Tyler
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Happy Birthday, Steven Tyler! You rock! Diddly-doo!

A happy belated birthday to Steven Tyler, and to also the Diva herself, Diana Ross!
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."