Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Henley putting out a "best of" package!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Don Henley putting out a "best of" package!

Amazon also has it for presale but not much info--says it's audio cd (doesn't say anything about the 2nd disc) but the price is only $13.98. But also have one showing both disc for $14.99. If so, you save a few dollars which pays for the shipping. I'm a little confused about the first one listed.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Very-Best-Don-Henley/dp/B0028NSE0U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1242384728&sr=1-1[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Very-Best-Don-Henley/dp/B0028NSE0K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1242384728&sr=1-2[/ame]
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Hmm, wonder why Johnny Can't Read, Not Enough Love in the World, Taking You Home, the ultra-rare Garden of Allah and the hit The End of the Innocence aren't going to be included on the video disc?

Still, this is awesome! I also wonder if there will be DVD commentary like there was on Stevie Nicks's and Chris Isaak's "Very Best" CD/DVD sets. That would be terrific!

FP, "Through Your Hands" was a song Don recorded for the movie Michael. Cool that he's including soundtrack songs that aren't available on his regular albums.
    Don appears to have disowned JCR so it doesn't surprise me that the video isn't includes, but I agree that EOTI should be there.

There is another movie soundtrack song which hasn't been included - She's On The Zoom.

Surely MCA could do this for Glenn's work. I make that comment as a fleeting aside.

I would love for Glenn to put out a videography (especially if it included outtakes and commentary), but a new "Very Best" CD would be rather pointless since he has done nothing since the release of "The Millennium Collection" in 2000.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Here's a press release for the "Best of" - doesn't tell us anything we didn't know already but I thought I'd post it anyway.

The Very Best Of Don Henley Features Henley's Best-Loved Solo Songs

CD+DVD Version Adds Music Videos And Soundtrack Recordings

SANTA MONICA, Calif., May 19 /PRNewswire/ -- "Dirty Laundry," "The Boys Of Summer," and "The End Of The Innocence" are some of the most popular, powerful, and critically acclaimed songs of our time. Now those songs and more, digitally re-mastered from the original recordings, are being made available on The Very Best Of Don Henley- the first career-to-date collection spanning Don Henley's tenures on Asylum, Geffen, and Warner Bros. The Very Best Of Don Henley, offered in CD and deluxe CD+DVD versions,is being released on June 16, 2009 through Geffen/UMe.

The Very Best Of Don Henley DVD features six iconic music videos including "The Boys Of Summer," "All She Wants To Do Is Dance," "The Heart Of The Matter," "The Last Worthless Evening," "Everything is Different Now" and "For My Wedding" as well as four bonus audio recordings from soundtrack releases: "Love Rules" (Fast Times At Ridgemont High), "Who Owns This Place?" (The Color Of Money), "Sit Down, You're Rockin' The Boat" (Leap Of Faith) and "Through Your Hands" (Michael).

The 14-selection The Very Best Of Don Henley CD kicks off with "Dirty Laundry" from his solo 1982 debut album, the gold I Can't Stand Still. Henley followed with 1984's triple platinum Building The Perfect Beast with "The Boys Of Summer" (GRAMMY-winner for Best Rock Vocal), the Top 10 hit "All She Wants To Do Is Dance" as well as "Sunset Grill" and "Not Enough Love In The World."
    Culled from 1989's six times platinum The End Of The Innocence , the 1989 album that remained on The Billboard Top 200 chart for 148 weeks) are the title track - another Grammy Rock Vocal winner -and the hit singles "The Last Worthless Evening," "The Heart Of The Matter," "I Will Not Go Quietly" and "New York Minute."

From his first solo collection, 1995's platinum Actual Miles: Henley's Greatest Hits, The Very Best Of Don Henley features Henley's cover of Leonard Cohen's classic "Everybody Knows." Y2K's platinum Inside Job, his first solo album since 1989, was an intensely personal rumination on love and romance and included the #1 Adult Contemporary hit "Taking You Home," "Everything Is Different Now" and "For My Wedding," the first Don Henley single to land on the Country music charts.

www.ilovethatsong.com

The Very Best Of Don Henley (single disc version)
    TRACK LISTING:
    1. DIRTY LAUNDRY
    2. THE BOYS OF SUMMER
    3. ALL SHE WANTS TO DO IS DANCE
    4. NOT ENOUGH LOVE IN THE WORLD
    5. SUNSET GRILL
    6. THE END OF THE INNOCENCE
    7. THE LAST WORTHLESS EVENING
    8. NEW YORK MINUTE
    9. I WILL NOT GO QUIETLY
    10. THE HEART OF THE MATTER
    11. EVERYBODY KNOWS
    12. FOR MY WEDDING
    13. EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT NOW
    14. TAKING YOU HOME

The Very Best Of Don Henley (CD + DVD version)
    TRACK LISTING:
    CD
    1. DIRTY LAUNDRY
    2. THE BOYS OF SUMMER
    3. ALL SHE WANTS TO DO IS DANCE
    4. NOT ENOUGH LOVE IN THE WORLD
    5. SUNSET GRILL
    6. THE END OF THE INNOCENCE
    7. THE LAST WORTHLESS EVENING
    8. NEW YORK MINUTE
    9. I WILL NOT GO QUIETLY
    10. THE HEART OF THE MATTER
    11. EVERYBODY KNOWS
    12. FOR MY WEDDING
    13. EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT NOW
    14. TAKING YOU HOME

DVD
    VIDEOS
    1. THE BOYS OF SUMMER
    2. All SHE WANTS TO DO IS DANCE
    3. THE LAST WORTHLESS EVENING
    4. THE HEART OF THE MATTER
    5. EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT NOW
    6. FOR MY WEDDING

BONUS AUDIO

1. LOVE RULES
    2. WHO OWNS THIS PLACE?
    3. SIT DOWN, YOU'RE ROCKIN' THE BOAT
    4. THROUGH YOUR HANDS

SOURCE Universal Music Enterprises

Ooh, I love Don's version of Sit Down, You're Rockin' The Boat. Love Rules is such a sweet song too.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Thumbs up Re: Don Henley putting out a "best of" package!

All this for under $20.00, not bad.

Hmm, the online sites are now listing the release date as June 23, but Walmart lists it as June 16 still. I wonder if it's going to hit Walmart earlier, or if there's some error?

I should also note that Walmart appears only to be listing the single CD, and not the CD/DVD.

I bought the single CD from Sainsbury's (in the UK) yesterday. Obviously I want the whole shebang, but I couldn't resist it when I saw it!

Ooh, didn't realize it was already out in the UK! So, is there any good artwork?

Well, it's all black and white. Most of the pics are ones we're quite familiar with. Eg:

Along with a few nice ones from the same shoot as the cover photo. You can see it in the WalMart single CD link. There's a very '80s profile shot, which I'm not sure I've seen before, and a lovely one from, I guess, 1990ish, where he's looking intensely at the camera (a shock, I know!)

There's a nice little write-up from Paul Gambaccini, too, giving us a general guide through Don's songs and making a little comment on what Don 'stands for'. Apparently he "understands that present happiness is no guarantee of future joy, but is our greatest hope. He inspires us to work for a better tomorrow, not just in society, but in ourselves." Aah.

I'm also surprised that it was released earlier in the UK than in the US. The only thing I'll say is that the TV ad I saw was pushing it forward as a 'great Father's Day gift' so that obviously had something to do with it. For some reason, the thought that the lady at the checkout probably presumed I was only buying it for my dad irked me! LOL.