Page 14 of 109 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: Led Zeppelin

Default Re: Led Zeppelin

You are so right, Willie. I used to watch The Song Remains The Same constantly when I was about 16... I thought Robert Plant was the sexiest thing in the world! His curly hair, tight jeans, bare chest, and his VOICE... I was completely in love. I loved the bluesy/folk elements to their music. The lyrics were often very fantastical and whimsical (as illustrated by the acted sequences in the film.) That appealed to me.

I understand why some people might find them a bit "much", but I put on Led Zeppelin II and it blows me away, from beginning to end. The sexual rawness of Whole Lotta Love and The Lemon Song, the beautiful, slow, romantic Thank You, Bonham's amazing drum solo in the form of Moby Dick... It has so many different elements, but the way it flows is perfect - it really takes you on a journey. One of my favourite albums of all-time.

Since I've Been Loving You, When The Levee Breaks and Tangerine are other favourite songs of mine not present on that album.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

One of the biggest reason I like Led Zeppelin is Jimmy Page's guitar style. What he did with the bow and the guitar and just his style is/was pretty unique. He's one of my absolute favorite players. But Zeppelin in general is a great band.

My top dozen favorite songs are Misty Mountain Hop, The Ocean, Rock and Roll, Heartbreaker, Dazed and Confused, Black Dog, Whole Lotta Love, Livin' Lovin Maid', Immigrant Song, Communication Breakdown, and Since I've Been Loving You. Honorable mention to Thank You. For a slower one, I really like Thank You. You notice I didn't mention Stairway. I'm pretty burnt out on that one. I actually prefer "Thank You" over Stairway for the slower Zep song. Thank You is probably one of my favorite slower rock songs in general actually.

Stuck on the Border

Out of interest does anyone have any of Robert Plant's solo albums? We have every one, including the new one Band of Joy, which I got for my birthday so haven't heard yet.

My favourite solo albums are Fate of Nations, Now & Zen & Manic Nirvana, but my all time favourite solo song is Big Log (I got a shock when I read a description of it which said it sounds like Dire Straits. I swear the comparison had never occurred to me once).

Other favourite solo tracks:

Hurtin' Kind (I've Got My Eyes On You)
    Tall Cool One
    Tie Dye On The Highway
    Helen Of Troy
    29 Palms
    If I Were A Carpenter
    If It's Really Got To Be This Way
    Freedom Fries
    Heaven Knows
    Ship Of Fools
    I Believe

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

FP- I have Now & Zen & Fate of Nations. I'll be interested to hear what you think of Band Of Joy. I do not have it but they have been playing a couple of cuts off of it on Sirius radio and I really like You Can't Buy My Love. Besides, the cover of the album is really cool!

Do you guys own either of The Firm albums with Jimmy Page and Paul Rodgers, The Firm and Mean Business? I have them both and really loved them. Just to bad they only did 2 albums and weren't together very long. Love the songs Radioactive, Satisfaction Guaranteed and All The King's Horses. The video for All The King's Horses was fabulous!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

We don't have The Firm (or the album he did with David 'Coverversion' to Plan'ts horror). We have the Page solo album Outrider which I haven't heard yet, the album with Plant, Walking Into Clarksdale which I didn't like much & Page's live album with the Black Crowes which I am afraid I don't have to listen to if I can listen to Unledded.

We have Outrider and it's ok but nothing to write home about. We also have an old album called Special Early Works. Lots of old blues stuff and again, not all that great. I guess he doesn't really need solo stuff when he does so well with others.

I watched this yesterday. I know it gets a lot of talk about how wasted he was during it but I never get tired of watching this! I don't know why I like it more than a lot. Just something about it I guess. And then add to it Clapton & Beck and you can't go wrong.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKlEVtA_TGQ[/ame]

And speaking of The Firm....This is one of my all time favorite videos ever. I just want to curl up in a chair right next to him and be swept away by his playing!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV67R3SLvzY[/ame]

A couple more of The Firm.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3973tfsllqw[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDjRFTIhxnA[/ame]

This one always reminds me of the dream sequences from Song Remains The Same.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUY-TCOWsS4[/ame]

I don't have any Plant solo albums yet but I've heard quite a bit of them.

Austin, this may have been posted before, but it's worth going to YouTube and giving it a listen and read the comments posted by the uploader. It talks about the guitars and pedals used during the recording and live performances.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYpydtdlWxA[/ame]

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Austin, this may have been posted before, but it's worth going to YouTube and giving it a listen and read the comments posted by the uploader. It talks about the guitars and pedals used during the recording and live performances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYpydtdlWxA
    Very cool Mike.... Page used a couple Teles before he got that LP from Walsh. That seemed to be his main axe from then on, occasionally playing a Danelectro or a Tele here or there.

From the book Classic Rock Stories by Tim Morse....

Pg 48-Friends, Jimmy Page says-"Robert wrote the words. He did them all on Led Zeppelin III except on Tangerine. The idea was to get an Indiana style with the stings. The string players were not Indian, however, and we had to make some on the spot changes. John Paul Jones wrote an incredible string arrangement for this, and Robert shows his great range-incredibly high. He's got a lot of different sides to his voice which come across here. It has a menacing atmosphere. A friend came into the studio during the recording and it was bloody loud and he had to leave. He said, 'You've really done something evil!'"