Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip to the record store...

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Default Trip to the record store...

I decided to hit a used record store today. I needed to pick up Desperado and see if they had any Poco CD's. Upon entering the store, I realized they had as much vinyl as they did CD's. I found the Poco Vinyl albums first. Mind you, I do not have a turntable any longer, but I needed to touch these pieces of history. I carefully took out each Album they had and pulled out the inserts. I looked at the pictures, skimmed the lyrics and everything else that is included on those inserts. The album title escapes me at the moment, but one insert had a pic of each guy and what appeared to be family photos. On Timothy's page was the sweetest most beautiful baby that looked JUST like him. I am guessing it was Jeddrah, as the baby was a girl. As I held each album, I ran my fingers across them from top to bottom, as if I was reading Braille. I don't know why, perhaps I was trying to touch history and transport myself back in time. Those albums had once belonged to someone who was there and appreciated the band in their heyday. I was saddened to put them back, as I wanted to cling to them and bring them home with me... so I could analyze each and every word printed on them and listen to them w/all the static white noise a record player would give them. I believe I actually felt a pain in my heart as I left them.

I then moved down to the Eagles Vinyl collection. I did the same with their albums. Picking them up, touching them as they were an unburied treasure. As I opened up The Long Run, I drew in a deep breath. This beautiful black drop with all their images staring back at me. (Yes, a pic we've all seen numerous times)... but again, it was like seeing it for the first time. At that moment, I wanted to buy every Eagles and Poco album along with a turntable and hide away for the next few days while I devoured each and every one of them... but reality set in.

I made my way to the register and handed the guy (I'm guessing owner) the Desperado CD. He took it and said, "This is a GREAT pick. I love this album. You know Randy Meisner, their original bass player sings on here and he's amazing". I smiled and said, "Yes, I know, I'm familiar with Randy. I'm a big Eagles fan." Some reason, I didn't want this stranger to think I was a fly by night person, who only knew Hotel California. He went on to rave about Twenty-One and Bitter Creek. He praised Bernie for his awesome guitar playing and overall for being a wonderful musician. He also shared his least favorites on the CD as Doolin-Dalton (which I personally love). He told me he had seen them on tour for On the Border and Dan Folgelberg opened for them. You could see him searching his memory and smiling as he did. He said it was an amazing night. (I bet)

As I was standing it the store, sucking in the smell of cardboard and vinyl, I was thinking how incredible it is, the hold that music can have on a person. Some people just don't get into music... while others, like me, feel it can reach your very soul. I wanted to share, as I figured follow Borderer's would understand this.

Melrose, as I was looking over ROC, it said, "words and music by Rusty Young". Weren't we under the impression that Paul wrote ROC?
    Last edited by luvthelighthouse; 04-26-2009 at 10:13 PM.

Border Desperado

Default Re: Trip to the record store...

You are correct LTL. It was Rusty. I'm not sure why I said Paul earlier, it must have been a slip of the tongue! Usually the one that wrote the song would sing it, but we were talking about Paul and my information got away from me.

This is a lovely experience that you have related to us. On a similar note... I used to frequent a used vinyl store down in St. Augustine. The owner was a real Eagles fan and could talk about them for hours! We used to chat about the songs and albums every time I was there looking for new stuff. He actually helped me back up my Eagles and Poco collection a few years back. I learned a lot from him and gained a friendship.

And as I agree that music has such a strong effect on one person, I believe it can do the same to multiple people. It amazes me how music can bring us together. Sometimes people that would have never thought to find something in common! It connects age, gender, and race...and finds its way through the cracks of time to impact the younger generations. Nothing else, that I know of, has that kind of effect on people.

Thanks for sharing that, LTL!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Soda, I realize, hours later, that I was totally dorky for posting that... but I was very wrapped up in an emotional moment. I tend to get that way at times.

Melissa, thanks for the confirmation. I thought I was losing it. I believe Rusty wrote a bunch of songs that he didn't sing on... so I can see the (my) confusion. Thanks for sharing your experience as well.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    Soda, I realize, hours later, that I was totally dorky for posting that... but I was very wrapped up in an emotional moment. I tend to get that way at times.

LTLH---NO WAY are you dorky for posting that!!!!! I had a tug in my heart when I was reading your post. You might not be familiar, as some are here, with my love affair with vinyl! My husband and I own hundreds of albums, and a wonderful turntable/stereo inside the house to play them. We also have a stereo system with huge speaker system set up for our patio and have regular Saturday night vinyl club meetings with several friends and family on the patio weather permitting. We have sat out there in all kinds of weather, even have an outdoor fireplace and heaters and as long as there is no snow or tornados, we are there almost every Saturday night. We even occasionally have a very special guest from the Border by the name of Soda who will make the the couple hour trip for it. Our friends and us take "field trips" to record stores, flea markets etc. in search of vinyl and frequent record shows when they are in the area. Music is very special to me (I rank it up there in the top three of my treasures, right behind my family and right before books) and vinyl is the best way to hear it!! They are a real treasure and I always get the biggest thrill when I read about someone else's "discoveries". My advice---find a turntable and indulge yourself!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Ltlh, that was a beautiful tribute to music, and especially to Poco and the Eagles. Nothing dorky about it. I could feel your feelings in my own heart as I read it. Thank you for sharing that with us.

I love learning about this band and many of their 'connections' too. It intrigues me and is a hobby for me. Many of my friends and family don't understand it, but I tell them it is the same thing as their love of their own hobby, whether it be a sport, or painting, or whatever it is they like to do.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Aw, that was a lovely read, LTL - thank you! I'm glad you had a lovely experience, and I absolutely know what you mean about the magic of records, especially the part about touching the pictures as if trying to transport yourself back in time. It's incredible how powerful music is.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

LTL, don't be ashamed! In fact, just last month we were discussing records vs. cds vs. itunes here.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...t=1403&page=25
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    I decided to hit a used record store today. I needed to pick up Desperado and see if they had any Poco CD's. .... Weren't we under the impression that Paul wrote ROC?
    Friend, you couldn't write it better, What a feeling ah, I felt the same so many times in Tucson shops... Pure nostalgia... CDs, Bluerays and crap, Nothing to do with a good old School LP material...

By the way silly me ROC is...?
    Be part of something good,
    Leave something good behind.

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

LTL ~ Willie got me started again on vinyls. Back in college when they said they were going to stop making vinyl records I remember I cried, I had a fit. I absolutely refused to get rid of my turntable or most of my records, I just couldnt bring myself to do it. I did, however and unfortunately, get rid of some of my old ones. a few months ago I got out my old turn table and took my girls to the record store in town. We spent the day there having a wonderful time, I, reliving the old days and finding some new treasures, they, finding new treasures and rediscovering my youth. We share the turntable, and enjoy the music together. It's brought us closer and given us something more in common to share. The record store near us sells the discounts for $.50 each so a "healthy" trip to the store may cost us all of $20 tops, usually about $5 or $6. Better then a trip to the movies and lasts a lot longer.
    An old familiar vinyl record has a very similar effect on me as a favorite book. The feel, the smell, holding it, the record itself and the act of putting it on the turntable, it's almost ritual and the first crackles of the needle on the album is pure anticipation. It's a great feeling. Don't underestimate it.