Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Related Sights to See in Southern California

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Eagles Related Sights to See

Wow Maleah - I really hope you get to visit all these sites. As I said when we came back home from the "Keep a Child Alive" Benefit, our L.A. trip was a dream weekend for any hardcore Eagles fan. It was such a treat to be able to visit all of the sights that were so important in the band's history.

As far as the Sunset Grill, I don't suspect that there are too many hard feelings with Don. They still have newspaper and magazine articles and other memorabilia posted on their walls about the the song that Don wrote about them. I would imagine it brings them a lot of customers that they may not normally get (such as us, for example).

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Meleah,

You mention Route 66. I think if you look closely at the map in the southeastern part of Kansas, that Highway 166 (parts of old route 66) passes through Coffeyville, Kansas.

I've been there many times on Motorcycle rides and once even tried to find the graveyard where members of the Doolin and Dalton gang were buried. I didn't have time to give it a through investigation however. Still, Coffeyville is definitely a part of Eagles lore and would be worthy of a couple of pictures.

http://www.coffeyville.com/Historical%20Society.htm

quote from the Historical Society website:

The Coffeyville Historical Society is governed by a 20-member Board made up of local volunteers who believe that preserving area history is important. On October 5, 1963, the Historical Society dedicated the Dalton Defenders Museum to the memory of the Coffeyville citizens who gave their lives protecting their town.

What Really Happened on October 5, 1892
    Comprehensive story of the Dalton Raid
    written by Lue Barndollar
    Paperback - $24.95 including shipping and handling
    Send payment to Coffeyville Historical Society
    P. O. Box 843, Coffeyville, KS 67337

MikeA

Wow, Mike, I actually didn't realize they strung 'em up just like on the Desperado album!

Nanc, I agree with your analysis of the pros/cons of the Sunset Grill makeover. The only thing is the "after" shot should have been taking without the sawhorses (or whatever those things are called) in front and the graffitied-window-covers up instead of down. It certainly would look a bit more inviting that way!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Reviving this old thread because now that I'm heading back to Los Angeles with a bit more time in January, I thought I'd look up some other places to go to that are Eagles-related and add them.

In Linda Ronstadt's book which I'm currently reading, she talks about a restaurant called Lucy's El Adobe Cafe which she thought was terrific and that Don and Glenn also ate there.

I looked it up and found out it's still open, but got a new chef or something... and it's getting a lot of bad reviews, even by people who used to love it.

The question is - go because of the history, or stay away because it's apparently gone horribly downhill, yet still costs top dollar (about $20 for an entree)?

Any thoughts?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

The margaritas seem to be getting good reviews. A maybe if there is time?

Stuck on the Border

It's up to you, but I've never heard of it until now & find it very hard to attach any significance to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Baby
    The margaritas seem to be getting good reviews. A maybe if there is time?
    One option may be to just go for drinks... margaritas on the patio. The reviews of the food are, for the most part, absolutely appalling. Plus, no fajitas! The closest you come is the $19 carne asada con guacamole. People are saying the quesadillas are decent. But, again, it does have the Eagle connection.

FP, I hadn't heard about it either until I read Ronstadt's book.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

I say go for it, Soda. Just stick with an entree that's hard to screw up.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

You can just do drinks as suggested by hb and order something light like ww said if your vibes r good
    I think its the building and its history nit the food that is the draw here

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Hmm - I dunno ... from the sound of some of those reviews, maybe we should just do a driveby or if we wanted to see the inside, we could always go in and ask to see the menu, and then politely excuse ourselves.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016