Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "On the Border"

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Celebration of "On the Border"

I've been closing my eyes and trying to visualise what it was like to hear this 40 years ago but it's not working too well. I think I was a little disappointed - after Desperado it seemed strange to go back to an assortment of songs without a common theme. My favourites would have been Best of My Love and You Never Cry Like a Lover but I also liked On The Border (I never could master the clapping) and My Man.

In defence of You Never Cry like a lover...
    - if it had been a woman singing about her man's inability to show his softer side, would it be viewed as harshly?
    - I really like the guitar. I don't see a credit in the liner notes but I'm assuming it's Bernie with Glenn on keyboards.
    - I love the "carousel" part. It's one of the times that the music mirrors the words.
    - Don's voice. I love his voice on the early albums but less so from HC on. It's partiicularly thrilling on this album.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    In honour of its birthday I'll share my thoughts on it:

Already Gone - If you were to listen to every Eagles album back to back chronologically, the starkest immediate contrast would be between Doolin-Dalton / Desperado Reprise and this. In a way it's probably the most complete Eagles song to me - rocky with country influences, some bang on harmonies, wonderful guitar work (especially the little duel solo in the middle) and some simply brilliant lyrics. Easily a mainstay in my Top 10 Eagles songs

You Never Cry Like a Lover - Probably my least favourite from the album, but in all fairness I haven't listened to it as much as the others. The intro is nice enough but I wouldn't hesitate skipping it

Midnight Flyer - I love this song. The banjo is brilliant, Randy's voice is as good as ever, and Glenn's outro is probably his best guitar work alongside ICTWY: on a similar note Randy's bass is very nice also. It gets knocked a bit for being too bluegrass, but I think it's a rather unique member of the guy's discography

My Man - Quite an emotional song for me. I've seen a bit of debte about whether it's about Gram Parsons or another bloke Bernie knew, but either way it's a beautiful tribute. The harmonies are so wonderful, especially 'he's gone far beyond...' parts of the chorus

On the Border - I get the impression you either adore this song or detest it. I'm the former. It's one of Henley's finest drumming performances for me, and I love the 'Never mind your name' part to it. Not as strong as some of the other songs, but a decent inclusion nonetheless

James Dean - Not one of my favourite Eagles songs, but I love the raw energy and the sheer (and I have to be honest) downright sexiness of the guitars on it. Lyrics are a bit meh but I do like the 'Too fast to live, too young to die' section. Sadly so, so true

Ol' 55 - The greatest song the Eagles ever did. The haunting loneliness of Glenn's piano and the wonderful accompaniment from Bernie's steel pedal are the perfect backdrop to Glenn's vocals, as well as his, Randy and Henley's chorus harmony. I am actually struggling to put into words my love for this song, it's one in a thousand for me

Is It True - My least favourite alongside YNCLIAL currently. That may change if I ever listen to it more however

Good Day in Hell - Love the guitar work and maintained harmony throughout. Also the reason a certain Mr. Felder got involved with the band, which is probably the best thing they ever did as a group

Best of My Love - I can take it or leave it. Once more I love Bernie's steel pedal, and the harmonies are so fine, but there's just something about it that doesn't click with me
    The best song they ever did? They didn't even write it. It's nice, but I can't agree that it is as outstanding as you think it is.

My favourite tracks on this album are GDIH, AG & JD. Most of the rest of it these days I honestly don't care that much about.

I played it on my computer today and then part of it on vinyl (the '71-'75 Hits had a few on there).

My top 5 are:

Already Gone
    The Best Of My Love
    Good Day In Hell
    James Dean
    Midnight Flyer

I love Already Gone and it is a personal favorite for me to play live and am so glad it's back in the set... A great rocker and a feel good song - can't beat it.

The Best Of My Love is one of my faves, always have loved the pedal steel and the acousticy sound of this one.

Good Day In Hell is another favorite. I love the slide guitar and the lyric content.

James Dean is kind of underrated IMO. I love the lyrics and guitars, and it appeals to my more rebellious side.

Midnight Flyer knowing me shouldn't be a favorite as I'm not a big bluegrass guy but I love the lyrics and the singing so it is.

The honorable mention for me is Ol '55 - I do like it as well.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    The best song they ever did? They didn't even write it. It's nice, but I can't agree that it is as outstanding as you think it is.
    For me, as with all songs in general, I don't care who wrote it. I have outlined why I like it so much in the description I gave and I'm sure you'll agree music is all subjective anyway.

Found this 40-year-old promo poster on eBay and thought it was appropriate for this thread!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Happy 40th Anniversary to On the Border!

Wow, I can't believe it's that old! I really don't remember getting the vinyl, or what it meant to me back then, but I'm sure I was thrilled to have new music from the Eagles!

My faves are Already Gone, Good Day in Hell, and Best of My Love.

UtW, thanks for your review! I always enjoy reading what others think of the songs too. And, different strokes for different folks as far as 'Ol 55. It's an ok song, but never been on any of my favorites lists either.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    In defence of You Never Cry like a lover...
    - if it had been a woman singing about her man's inability to show his softer side, would it be viewed as harshly?
    I actually appreciate the parts where the guy is complaining about her being emotionally closed off. That's a legitimate issue, and a gender-neutral one. If the song consisted entirely of that, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

The parts I have a problem with are the parts where he complains about her lack of sexual responsiveness, a theme that was deemed important enough to be the title line.

It's impossible to reverse genders here and make it work, since men always get physical gratification out of the sex act. I can't imagine a woman saying to a man "You never cry like a lover should; sigh when it feels real good." Even if the man isn't loud about it, his response is evident and assured. It's the woman who has to show the man that she's gotten gratification through vocalization, which is why so many women have to fake it with hoots and hollers in order to protect their man's ego. Apparently the woman in the song didn't bother to do that, lol.

This song is the anthem for the insecure man who was unable to bring his partner there physically: "It's YOUR fault! I don't need to try a little harder [in the sack]... YOU do!"

That said, the song has its moments. I'm not enamored of the intros to the verses and the way they began - there's almost no energy, and the ending has the same problem - but as I said in an earlier post, I love the carousel simile; the parts that show emotional vulnerability like "I thought I saw somebody I loved sleeping deep inside you" are well done; I think the "I was hoping you were the one" part is very effective.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Springbo View Post
    When you said they don't play songs sung by former members, were you referring to songs from On the Border only, because they play TITTL, which as we all know, Randy sang.
    TITTL is now sung by Glenn. However this is the OTB thread & I was indeed referring to the songs sung on OTB by former members.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    No way - I have never felt YNCLAL was sexist at all. Meaning if a woman were singing this song to a man it would have the same impact. This song is about a failed relationship.

Bytheway - TITTL is indeed Randy Meisners song. Sayin' it isn't because a contributor sings it will never change this one true fact. At what point do/will I have to defend this statement?
    At no time did anyone say that TITTL was not Randy Meisner's song. I was clarfiying when asked about my statement 'they won't do songs by former members' that I was referring to the songs by former members on the On The Border album. I also said 'Glenn sings TITTL now' which is no more than a statement of fact. On reflection it was perhaps unnecessary to add that sentence.

Don't know if this is here or not. Couldn't see it.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-on-the-border/

Good bits from interviews. How well they used to get on. Haven't read it all yet.

SS
    xx
    http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014...st-see-tv.html