Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dallas, TX 9-13-08

Default Dallas, TX 9-13-08

The Eagles test fans with classic hits, new tunes in 30-song show Saturday

Sun, Sep 14, 2008/By THOR CHRISTENSEN / Dallas Morning News

The Eagles are responsible for more hits than the Gambino crime family. But instead of just doling them out, one by one, they took a big risk Saturday night at American Airlines Center by playing nine songs from their latest album, Long Road Out of Eden.

Most boomer bands wouldn't dare test fans with that much new material. But the wily old Eagles pulled it off, thanks to their sterling harmonies and top-notch songwriting. Eden's title track – an angry Don Henley rant against big wigs "bloated on entitlement and loaded on propaganda" – held its own with such classics as "Hotel California." "Busy Being Fabulous" was cut from the same caustic cloth as "Life In the Fast Lane."

Looking like four CEOs in their matching suits and ties, the Eagles opened the show with four new tunes in a row. But as patient as the near-capacity crowd was, fans didn't really cut loose until the parade of hits began. In a 30-song show that clocked in at three-and-a-half hours (including a brief intermission), the band covered every base from "Take it Easy" and "Desperado" to a half-dozen solo hits by Mr. Henley and Joe Walsh.

The Eagles are famous, some say infamous, for replicating their hits note-for-note onstage. But they ad-libbed more than usual Saturday, slowing down tempos and funking things up with a four-man horn section. It didn't always work, but when it did (like in "Heartache Tonight"), it made for a much livelier show than the band's AAC concerts in 2001 and 2003.
    The band rehashed several jokes from past tours. Glenn Frey's quip about "Take It to the Limit" being his wife's credit card motto is getting old, as is Mr. Walsh's "helmet camera" during "Life's Been Good." But Mr. Frey did come up with a few good new ones. He said "Lyin' Eyes" "has a lot of meaning in D-FW" – a jab, perhaps, at ex-Carrolton mayor Becky Miller, who got in hot water this year for claiming she was once engaged to Mr. Henley (she wasn't).

And he dubbed the show part of "The Eagles' Assisted Living Tour," saying "We are the Eagles, the band that wouldn't die." Like cockroaches and Keith Richards, the Eagles are apparently on this earth for the long run.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

While I hope the guys are indeed on this earth for the long run, surely the writer could've come up with a better analogy than likening them to cockroaches & Keith Richards!

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Default Re: HOUSTON & DALLAS SEPTEMBER

Oh I think they're doing a heck of a lot better then Keith! *G* I mean Cockroaches are doing better then Keith *G* He's not all that old! He just looks old *G*
    Our boys are already legends, they dont need to worry about immortality, they're already immortal!

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan View Post
    The Eagles test fans with classic hits, new tunes in 30-song show Saturday

Sun, Sep 14, 2008/By THOR CHRISTENSEN / Dallas Morning News

The Eagles are responsible for more hits than the Gambino crime family.

I love that line!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Yeah, I thought that line was pretty good too, pm!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I read that line to my husband as we were watching The Sopranos. We both couldn't stop laughing!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Border Desperado

Anyone have a complete set list for Dallas?

One encore or two?

Rick
    "It's only Rock and Roll, but I like it"

Here's another review, from a fan:

http://www.geekfest.com/showthread.php?t=209997

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

That girl has really got it, hasn't she?! I really enjoyed reading that, and the comments which follow, particularly this rearding Mr Frey:
    "Yes.. mmmm... he is sumphin else! .. and sings like an angel.. sexy.. a definite yes!"

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Two points struck me.

I liked it when she's talking about the length of time they played, and she says, "They are athletes. Music is their sport."

And I also loved this.

"Music that stands the test of time... my music... the sound of my time of life, will be celebrated for generations to come."
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Steph--are you out there? Don't let Ike get you, get to Dallas quickly!! Will awaits your arrival!!

Hi All,

I'm back in the UK now & have just about recovered from Jet Lag.

Thanks for all your thoughts for me while I was away. Yes, it was a great shame that the 2nd Houston show had to be cancelled 'cos of the coming hurricane.
    We went to Dallas a day earlier than planned(Thurs) when we had heard that the Thursday show was cancelled, so we avoided much of the evacuation traffic.
    The Dallas shows were amazing!!! We had FRONT ROW MIDDLE seats on the Sunday night(how cool is that). I will write more about my concert experiences soon. I have photo's from Houston, but was told off for using my camera at the Dallas show, so I only got 2 or 3 from there.
    Bear with me while I sort them out & then I'll post some.

Will looked absolutely gorgeous I'm still getting over seeing him!

My new avatar is from the Houston show!

More soon,
    Steph