Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Houston, TX 9-09-08

Default Houston, TX 9-09-08

Now THIS is a review--actually, two reviews:

http://blogs.chron.com/handstamp/arc...agles_one.html

September 10, 2008

The Eagles: One show, two reviews

Reviewing the legends -- like the Eagles -- can be tough business. Take Bruce Springsteen, for instance. He got a glowing review back in April that still managed to draw ire for various reasons, not the least of which was the suggestion that Springsteen wasn't immortal. One commenter suggested the format below for a review:

Why can't you just write the facts? Here is what I would like to find out from reading a concert review:
    -Venue
    -Opening act(if any)
    -Start time
    -Attendance vs Capacity
    -Complete set list
    -Encore set list
    -Names of band members
    -Discription of stage and set-up
    -Show highlights
    -End time
    Then throw in your opinion and anything else you feel you need to add.

For you, my friend, here is an Eagles review. I hope you're reading . . .

Toyota Center
    No
    8:21 p.m.
    19,300 vs. 19,300 (according to one venue rep)
    Set list:
    How Long
    Busy Being Fabulous
    I Don't Want to Hear Anymore
    Guilty of the Crime
    Hotel California
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    I Can't Tell You Why
    Witchy Woman
    Lyin' Eyes
    Boys of Summer
    In the City
    The Long Run
    (Intermission)
    No More Walks in the Wood
    Waiting in the Weeds
    No More Cloudy Days
    Love Will Keep Us Alive
    Take It to the Limit
    Long Road Out of Eden
    Somebody
    Walk Away
    One of These Nights
    Life's Been Good
    Dirty Laundry
    Funk #49
    Heartache Tonight
    Life in the Fast Lane
    (encore)
    Take It Easy
    Desperado
    - Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Timothy B. Schmit, Joe Walsh, others
    - The stage was flat. There were lights. The backdrop often had video that pertained to the song at hand. So if there was a lyric about a spider, there'd be a picture of a spider.
    - Highlights: Anytime Joe Walsh opened his mouth, anytime the guys harmonized, the surprising inclusion of Boys of Summer, an excellent Hotel California at the front of the set.
    - 11:25 p.m.
    As a bonus, here's a photo:

Bill Olive for the Chronicle

Frey and Henley: Stuck in the middle with you.

There ya go. If anybody would like to read more, click below.

Loved and loathed, the Eagles are, I believe, more than worth talking about at length. The fellow who recommended the above review format also suggested I save long-form musings for my "novel" (huh?). He can skip this part.

"We were the band that wouldn't die," Frey said two songs into the band's sold out set at the Toyota Center Tuesday, the first of two shows. And that's true. But the Eagles were MIA during some crucial years. Breaking up might have been easy to do in 1980 when the members would hardly speak to each other. In doing so, the band protected the Eagles brand. Say what you will about the Eagles, but they weren't putting out lousy, synthy albums that got ignored in the '80s and '90s. A disappearing act left their legacy in tact while also generating wanting. There's also the fact that 28,999,999 people other than me own their Greatest Hits album. And many of them had kids who heard it on road trips throughout childhood.The crowd -- more parents than kids, but not without kids -- was one hungry baby bird.

So let's start with the loving and then get to the loathing. It's easy to see this band's appeal. The Eagles have always had an easy way with a gorgeous harmony. The show occasionally had the feeling of a guitar pull with each of the four Eagles needing a turn at the mic every few minutes. But regardless of who took the lead, the harmonies in and around the choruses continue to whisper through like a back porch breeze. Opener How Long is among the best of the songs from the band's latest, Long Road Out of Eden, a countrified stomper that could've snuggled up next to Already Gone three decades ago. The structure of the band's first set was air-tight. Each Eagle took a crack at one new one (Walsh's Guilty of the Crime was also a standout) before a trumpet solo announced a spine tingling Hotel California.

It could just be a sign that I'm getting old, but after a good 15 years or so of having rock 'n' roll thumb its nose snobbily at the notion of a guitar hero, I found the hair on my arms standing up just a little as Walsh and guitarist Stuart Smith did an old fashioned guitar duel on California's exciting and prickly outtro.

Favorites then started to fall from the sky. And it wasn't just the harmonies that sounded clear. Not all rock guys get to their sixties with their voices in tact, but all four Eagles, particularly Henley, were in fine voice. Frey's run through Peaceful Easy Feeling retained the song's beautiful melancholy. Though it felt a little odd given the band's Reservoir Dogs attire. Just as there would be no mustaches, there would be no flannel. Black coats, white shirts, black ties. Lyin' Eyes retained its sweet chorus, while Henley's Boys of Summer was a pleasant surprise. Though Henley suggested first set closer The Long Run was the band's theme song, Boys of Summer kind of fits even better: It captures that uneasy truce between nostalgia and progress.

So there are a few of the scores of reasons people love the Eagles. So why do others have such a violent dislike for them? I'm not even talking about Mojo Nixon, who's declaration about the necessity of Henley and Frey's demise was really a joke. But they're a constant target of music snobs. Obviously success makes you an easy target. Hippies have been fair game for years now, and while the Eagles were technically post-hippie, there's still something of a stoner aura about the peaceful, easy feeling days. Or could it be that people resent the fact that the band got together and made millions despite the fact that its members seemed to not get along at all.

Well as for the argument that punk rock was a reaction to the Eagles, that's fine and all, but you still need the Eagles for that to happen. If everybody sounded like the Ramones in 1975 then Bread would be the rebels. And not getting along? Well that's a time-honored rock tradition. The Eagles singers aren't siblings, but they get the sibling harmony thing down, from the singing to the squabbling.

Anyway, at the risk of getting too long winded, the second set was a little less rewarding than the first. It felt less fluid, though it followed a similar path. The band started out sitting, as they did when Hell first froze over in 1994. This batch of songs seemed to rely on the choruses for some oomph, but Take It to the Limit perked things up, though even then fans had to step up and hit the high notes at the end since nobody on stage cared to.

Things started to feel a little jarring after that, as though the band wanted to make sure its arena rock cred was confirmed. Henley's title track from Eden was a strong entry, with him cutting loose on a barbed political song. Frey's Somebody, on the other hand, felt a little shouty. By the time Henley did another solo track (Dirty Laundry) and Walsh dusted off the James Gang's Funk #49 the set had the feel of a free for all.
    An encore of Take It Easy and Desperado was nicely restrained, contemplative and gorgeous.

That said the silence that followed was disappointing. Presumably the reason people sacrifice money and eardrums and babysitter money and brain cells and whatever else for these concerts -- as opposed to sitting at home and playing the hits albums -- is for the shared experience. The lights were down after Desperado and they stayed down. Admittedly this is me playing fantasy baseball here, but Seven Bridges Road, done a capella, seemed inevitable -- sort of their harmony masterpiece.
    Only problem was the seats were empty and the aisles were clogged. The dark remained for several minutes and then the house lights went up. If there was more, it wasn't going to be for a 25% capacity crowd.
    Still unless a set list surfaces, that's just a phantom quibble in my mind. Or maybe it'll happen Thursday. Or the next time Hell freezes over.

By Andrew Dansby

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: HOUSTON & DALLAS SEPTEMBER

Another TRUE fan writing a great review!! How refreshing!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Great review! I cant believe everyone left before a second encore tho.

I love reading reviews from people who "get it"!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

My review of the review - Very refreshing!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks DF - that was a good review - I thought it was actually a very interesting read. I especially liked his description of The Boys of Summer capturing "that uneasy truce between nostalgia and progress". That is very well stated.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I especially liked his description of The Boys of Summer capturing "that uneasy truce between nostalgia and progress". That is very well stated.
    I agree!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

That was great, DF! Thanks for posting it.

I'm taking notes!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Well here I am in sunny Texas.

Great show last night. Crowd was really lively & into the band, and the guys were well fired up too!

My darling Will looked gorgeous as only he canHe didn't take his jacket off all evening though - and it was very warm towards the end. Hope he gets it off tomorrow night.

Mrs Frey - Glenn looked very sexy too; he had his tie loosened & a few buttons on his shirt undone, and his shirt was pulled out & flying loose. Have to say he looks as if he has put on a little weight.

Don seems to be growing a beard...which is white! and I have to say I didn't think it looked good on him.

Timothy was just very sweet as usual, and Joe was in fine humour.

Disappointing that we only got the one encore - maybe tomorrow we'll get two. My friend says she heard Glenn say something about it being very hot on stage, so maybe that's why they only did one encore.

We had a couple of annoying guys next to us. They arrived late & had to push past us to get to their seats. They'd been drinking & one of them elbowed my friend in the head, then stood on her foot. Later they were about to fight with each other & we had to push them away from us & try to separate them. Luckily one of them then left.
    Even so, we had a fantastic time & I'm so looking forward to the next show.

I managed to get some photos, but I won't be able to post them until I get back home to the UK.

One show down...three to go. I an on cloud 9.

LOL
    Steph

Thanks for the notes, Steph! Sounds like the guys were hot (temperature-wise) onstage. If heat makes them loosen those ties and unbutton a bit, I hope it's hot in Chicago too!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten