Thread: Bruuuuce!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bruuuuce!

Lots of Springsteen happenings this week!! For football and non-football fans alike, don't forget to check out the half-time show of the Super Bowl. The Boss has agreed to bring his band to this nationally televised venue (apparently after years of turning down invites), and promises to deliver quite a show. In an interview this week, he describes it as what you would hear/see during the last 12 minutes of one of his concerts at the Meadowlands (NJ)...which I can verify is absolutely hot, on-target, rock and roll !!

I'm sure you're not surprised to learn that I am a veteran of many a Springsteen show. In fact, during the mid-80's Born in the USA tour, if I didn't have a ticket to attend a particular show, I would still drive down to the Meadowlands each night and wait for the sounds of the encore to start. At that time, security would let people just waltz on into the stadium for free, and we'd be treated to the Boss's renowned 45 minute encores--which varied nightly!! Ahh, those were the days!! Anyway, the crowd was in an absolute FRENZY by the last 20 minutes or so...so if Bruuuuuce can reproduce that spirit at the Super Bowl , we are in for a real treat!

Bruce will be debuting his new album, "Working on a Dream," which went on sale this past week...so I imagine at least one song will be from the new one. He also opens up a new world tour, which I'll discuss in the next post.
    Last edited by eaglesvet; 01-31-2009 at 07:26 AM.

Default Re: Bruuuuce!

Bruce's new album, "Working on a Dream," received a 5-star rating from Brian Hiatt of the The Rolling Stone, who called it the best of the 3 great rock and roll albums the Boss has put out this decade. Apparently, Bruce reaches back to his roots on the Jersey shore (ala Born to Run), and made this album with sounds reminiscent of Roy Orbison and Phil Spector. Hiatt also recalls the British Invasion, the Byrds, Manfred Mann, and the Turtles when describing the various songs on the new one. Something for everyone, I gather!

Bruce kicks off his "Working on a Dream" concert tour with the Super Bowl show; and then the rest of the US arena shows begin April 1 in San Jose and finish up May 23 in the Meadowlands. He then goes to Europe. Most of the US shows go on sale this Monday Feb 2, with a few exceptions that I will point out. Locally, the vendor is 'Meadowlands All Access,' which I have never used before. I'll have to become completely familiar with their website before 9 am Monday... because Bruce will sell out the 2 arena shows here in about 30 seconds. Apparently, he caused a systems crash earlier in the week in Sweden and Norway selling out his June shows there.

The North American Tour:(On sale date 2/2 unless noted)
    4/1 San Jose, CA

4/3 Glendale, AZ

4/5 Austin, TX -on sale 2/7

4/7 Tulsa, OK -on sale 2/7

4/8 Houston -on sale 2/7

4/10 Denver

4/15 LA

4/21 & 4/22 Boston

4/24 Hartford, CT

4/26 Atlanta

4/28 & 4/29 Philly

5/2 Greensboro, NC -on sale 2/6

5/4 Hempstead, NY

5/5 Charlottesville, VA

5/7 Toronto, Ontario -on sale 2/6

5/8 University Park, PA

5/11 St. Paul

5/12 Chicago

5/14 Albany, NY

5/15 Hershey, PA (the only small stadium, rather than arena)

5/18 DC

5/19 Pittsburgh

5/21 & 5/23 East Rutherford, NJ

Please double check me at www.brucespringsteen.net. I wouldn't want to be responsible for any inaccuracies. At least locally, ticket prices are between $65 and $95...a veritable bargain for his 3+hr action-packed shows! And you can bet I will be bringing a sign request for 4th of July, Asbury Park (aka Sandy)!!
    Last edited by eaglesvet; 02-01-2009 at 01:54 AM.

EV, good luck getting your tickets to see Bruce! That is exciting news about his new album and upcoming tour!
    I was just thinking this morning that I want to listen to clips of his new songs, then I saw your post. I'll be listening later on today, and let ya know what I think. My brother LOVES Bruce, and I know he'll be seeing him on this tour!

Cool! Bruce is one of my favorite musicians, but I've never seen him live. Sounds like an amazing show!

I've been seeing commercials for a different type of show lately - seems Bruce is doing a kind of documentary TV series about working on his album. Have you heard about this?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Yup, I think it's the same DVD that's included in the 'Deluxe" version of the new album. VH1 is airing it several times this week, I've read. It's not a series, just the one show repeated. Bruce began writing songs for "Working..." while on the Magic tour in 2007-2008, and recorded it in between Magic concerts in 2008. So, given it was written and recorded relatively quickly, the DVD/ VH1 show should show some interesting footage. You should check out his website for all the background info, as well as the link to the Rolling Stone review.

Soda, you absolutely have to go to a show this tour! I remember he made your top 10 singers list, so I assumed you had seen him. You will be exhausted just watching him, Little Steven, and Nils work out on stage with their guitars....watch for Nils to do flips (literally!). Bruce's shows used to be 4 hours easily, including the 45 minute encore. In Sept. '07, we had the great luck of scoring 2 seats to a 1000-seat rehearsal in the Meadowlands arena--his last rehearsal show before the Magic tour opened officially. That show was "only" 3 1/2 hours..but it was absolutely the best by far (and by far the closest I've ever been...1st row up from the floor, in one of the first side sections slightly in front of the band ...you know how many years of shows it took me to get this close???) Anyway, you will not be disappointed...trust me!
    Last edited by eaglesvet; 02-01-2009 at 02:05 AM.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I like a lot of Bruce's songs (favorite is Pink Cadillac), too, but have never been to a show. My brother, however, is a huge fan. I think he went to a concert last fall in KC. He's been oodles of times. I should check out his web site.

My husband and I were trying to guess which songs he would do for the superbowl. My picks are Born In The USA, Born To Run, and Dancing In The Dark. Hubby picks Pink Cadillac. I figure that one might not be family-oriented enough!

Do you know which songs other than a new one, ev?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten