Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Birmingham, AL 1-24-09

Default Re: Birmingham concert, 1-24-09

Here are a few pictures from last night. Bamagirl was impressed with the way the images on the screens complemented the words of each song.

Waiting in the Weeds:

Grinning Glenn made us both laugh:

She thought Joe looked very cool here:

Border Desperado

Thanks for the great review DF. From the time of your post I can tell you were really stoked and coldn't wait to share your thoughts. Your post is just another testament to the greatest live show on the road today.

As soon as I put up my post I checked out the pictures...great shots. Tiffanny Twisted and I could not get any pictures at any of the shows we went to because the camera nazis were out in full force. They rlaxed the camera rules a little at the November show...just when we figured bringing a camera would be pointless so we didn't bring one.

A shot of the crowd from Joe's helmet cam:

The Long Run:

During Dirty Laundry:

Timothy times two:

Funk 49:

In the City:

Goodbye!

AAAAHHHH, DF!!! Right in front of you!!! Don and Glenn, smiling!! And then Joe and Tim!! How could you stand it??!!

OK, I've calmed down now. I think Rachel's pix are great...we don't have any that I can recall where you can see such great full backgrounds and then the band in front like that. Now, we are all anxiously holding our collective breath to see Deanna's closeups from Desperado...

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan View Post
    Eagles Deliver--by Jim Dunn -- For The Birmingham News
    Saturday January 24, 2009
    The economy is comparable to that of the Eagles' '70s heyday, and so was the crowd response. And the crowd, for that matter. It's a safe bet that many of the concertgoers that nearly filled the BJCC Arena tonight were reliving an experience they first took part in during the Carter administration, judging by the slightly middle-aged demographics.
    In its first, hour-long set, the band -- Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit -- played some songs from its newest CD, "Long Road Out of Eden," like "Busy Being Fabulous" and "I Don't Want to Hear Any More."
    They're good songs, but it didn't matter. The crowd paid their ticket money for "Witchy Woman," "Hotel California," "Lyin' Eyes" (which Frey dedicated to "my first wife, Plaintiff"), "Peaceful, Easy Feelin'" and "In the City."
    And they got their money's worth. The band delivered the moneymakers with the polish that decades of recording and touring affords. The voices might have been the teensiest bit weaker (but, in the Eagles' defense, some of those harmonies have always been vocal cord-stretchers), but that everlasting, cool, '70s California vibe was as strong live in 2009 as it was on 8-track in 1976.
    The band broke for an intermission at about 9:30 with "The Long Run," saying that they'd be back to play for "a long, long time."
    The second half of the Eagles' show was peppier than the first, with a more relaxed feel, particularly whenever Joe Walsh took the spotlight for "Walk Away" and "Funk 49," from his time with the James Gang, and "Life's Been Good" from his solo career.
    "Funk" had the addition of a four-piece horn section that made the song even greasier than the radio version, plus Walsh's extended shredding on his sherbet-green guitar. Walsh not only has the strongest guitar chops, but his voice was the strongest, too, a surprising fact for a guy not known for having the healthiest of lifestyles..
    The weakest part of the second set were the four numbers the band performed on stools. They might have been shooting for a homey feeling, but the target they hit was more community singalong.
    For a full review of The Eagles at the BJCC Arena, see Monday's Birmingham News.
    Weakest?!! I happen to LOVE the songs they do in the beginning of the second set, as I imagine many of us do. I don't get the impression of either hominess nor community singalong...it's just the style of song that lends itself to that acoustic presentation. Oh, brother!

Ask and you shall receive, EV:

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan View Post

OMG!!!

Bamagirl can have the honor of taking pictures anyday!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

That is a very nice pic of Timmy. Open shirt too